Sponsored by:

New comer intro plus questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 11:20 PM
CHLW
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New comer intro plus questions

Hi all, this is my first post. Read countless post in this forum talking about the 991 and I finally pulled the plug and ordered one. It is also my first Porsche!

At the moment I am still struggling about the colour combo

991 Base Cab 7MT
Agate Grey w/ red interior and red top

My favorite actually, have see one with red interior and it's absolutely beautiful and classy. I know some may think the red top is a bit too flashy but I like it, I think the top should always go with the interior colour (I prefer not to have too many contrast).

991 Base Cab 7MT
Guards Red w/ black interior and black top
and red seatbelt

Despite the paint is not metallic, the guards red is VERY energetic and of racing feel. Since the interior is black, I can just leave it as standard leather, and the red seatbelt is a nice little touch. Save me few grands as well. I am just not sure if I can live with it for long, but driving one in red in the street really turns head

Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by CHLW
Hi all, this is my first post. Read countless post in this forum talking about the 991 and I finally pulled the plug and ordered one. It is also my first Porsche!

At the moment I am still struggling about the colour combo

991 Base Cab 7MT
Agate Grey w/ red interior and red top

My favorite actually, have see one with red interior and it's absolutely beautiful and classy. I know some may think the red top is a bit too flashy but I like it, I think the top should always go with the interior colour (I prefer not to have too many contrast).

991 Base Cab 7MT
Guards Red w/ black interior and black top
and red seatbelt

Despite the paint is not metallic, the guards red is VERY energetic and of racing feel. Since the interior is black, I can just leave it as standard leather, and the red seatbelt is a nice little touch. Save me few grands as well. I am just not sure if I can live with it for long, but driving one in red in the street really turns head

Any thoughts?
Well, you have excellent taste, for one thing. I just bought a Cab and I seriously considered both of those combinations. Oh... I guess that just means we share the same taste. But my ego insists you and I have excellent taste. Everybody else can lump it.

You might consider one other possibility. The one I just bought: white exterior with a brown top and espresso interior. I considered just saying 'brown' interior, but the consistent remark when people examine mine is "Wow, that is so lovely. It can't just be brown. What color is that?" I gave up and will use Porsche's word hereafter, although 'espresso' brought to mind nothing but 'brown' when I read the order form.

If you go for the red on black, then I recommend the "full leather" option. I don't know whether Porsche ever say this explicitly, but from seeing examples, I believe they use three grades of leather. The base leather is coated and tanned to be as durable as any leather can be. It also bears a close resemblance in appearance and feel to the high-quality leather-substitute used on most of the interior when you choose this configuration. I had this and have no objection. At a windy, wet, muddy track day or if you have kids hopping in the back after a fun sprawl at the park, this is exactly the upholstery you want on your car.

Next up, and very satisfactory, is the leather used for the "full leather" option. Noticeably more supple and with a rich depth of color that let me recognize examples from five feet by comparison to the black leather of the base option.

The "natural leather" that comes in red and espresso is a sensual delight. Where the base leather seems fine for a sports car, with emphasis on the sport and not the touring role, and the full leather" seems appropriate for such an expensive car without qualification, the "natural leather" is like adding a sensual addition to the car's features: 'seductive' perhaps, though I hate words overused by the marketing trade. The "full leather" just seems appropriate; the "natural leather" is something new passengers notice immediately: "Oh wow, this is nice." Then they run their hand along the dash or the seat bolsters.

The Agate Gray is stunning in person, and the Guards Red touches something in the soul of a sports car owner, even if we all wonder if we'll be able to live it for long. White, or "just white" as we tend to say sounds dull, but in fact the word 'fun' seems to come to mind most often after you see one. I have 500 miles on mine and noticed something today. People smile when they look at my car. A flagman at a construction zone, smiled broadly before waving me on; my waitress looked out at the parking lot when she heard I had a new car and said "Oh, it's so pretty!"; and two women pulled up behind me at an intersection and the older passenger, probably the mother, smiled and poked her driver: "Look at that car" her lips said.

Not everyone wants a car whose appearance invites the word 'fun' at first sight. My prior 911 had a license plate saying "T-Rex" because it put that sort of thought in mind. But I was ready for a fun car. This one is going to be named Daisy Mae. Suitable plate on order.

Gary
Old 11-20-2012, 12:10 AM
ArashApollo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both are such great options! How long are you keeping the car for? If you plan on keeping it for awhile, I think the first option is best. Ah but I also love the second option, especially if you get the gauges in red! But do spend the extra bit and get the full leather, or at least the full leather seats. They are much more comfortable than the standard leather IMO. Only sampled it very quickly but that was my first impression.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 AM
CHLW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, you have excellent taste, for one thing. I just bought a Cab and I seriously considered both of those combinations. Oh... I guess that just means we share the same taste. But my ego insists you and I have excellent taste. Everybody else can lump it.

You might consider one other possibility. The one I just bought: white exterior with a brown top and espresso interior. I considered just saying 'brown' interior, but the consistent remark when people examine mine is "Wow, that is so lovely. It can't just be brown. What color is that?" I gave up and will use Porsche's word hereafter, although 'espresso' brought to mind nothing but 'brown' when I read the order form.

If you go for the red on black, then I recommend the "full leather" option. I don't know whether Porsche ever say this explicitly, but from seeing examples, I believe they use three grades of leather. The base leather is coated and tanned to be as durable as any leather can be. It also bears a close resemblance in appearance and feel to the high-quality leather-substitute used on most of the interior when you choose this configuration. I had this and have no objection. At a windy, wet, muddy track day or if you have kids hopping in the back after a fun sprawl at the park, this is exactly the upholstery you want on your car.

Next up, and very satisfactory, is the leather used for the "full leather" option. Noticeably more supple and with a rich depth of color that let me recognize examples from five feet by comparison to the black leather of the base option.

The "natural leather" that comes in red and espresso is a sensual delight. Where the base leather seems fine for a sports car, with emphasis on the sport and not the touring role, and the full leather" seems appropriate for such an expensive car without qualification, the "natural leather" is like adding a sensual addition to the car's features: 'seductive' perhaps, though I hate words overused by the marketing trade. The "full leather" just seems appropriate; the "natural leather" is something new passengers notice immediately: "Oh wow, this is nice." Then they run their hand along the dash or the seat bolsters.

The Agate Gray is stunning in person, and the Guards Red touches something in the soul of a sports car owner, even if we all wonder if we'll be able to live it for long. White, or "just white" as we tend to say sounds dull, but in fact the word 'fun' seems to come to mind most often after you see one. I have 500 miles on mine and noticed something today. People smile when they look at my car. A flagman at a construction zone, smiled broadly before waving me on; my waitress looked out at the parking lot when she heard I had a new car and said "Oh, it's so pretty!"; and two women pulled up behind me at an intersection and the older passenger, probably the mother, smiled and poked her driver: "Look at that car" her lips said.

Not everyone wants a car whose appearance invites the word 'fun' at first sight. My prior 911 had a license plate saying "T-Rex" because it put that sort of thought in mind. But I was ready for a fun car. This one is going to be named Daisy Mae. Suitable plate on order.

Gary
Thank you! I like the word 'sensual' you used and it just describes exactly the feeling when I got into it, in fact, just like you said I could not help myself at running my hands along the dash :-)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 AM
CHLW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ArashApollo
Both are such great options! How long are you keeping the car for? If you plan on keeping it for awhile, I think the first option is best. Ah but I also love the second option, especially if you get the gauges in red! But do spend the extra bit and get the full leather, or at least the full leather seats. They are much more comfortable than the standard leather IMO. Only sampled it very quickly but that was my first impression.
I do intend to keep it for long, while red gauges look good but wouldn't red background be a bit visual obstructive?
Old 11-20-2012, 03:04 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I would favor Agate/Red simply for the superior quality leather that Gary mentions above. Elsewhere on RL there is a very extensive, multi-part thread dedicated to leather interiors. Briefly, the Natural leather used only in Espresso and Carrera Red is top grain leather. Top grain is the most durable, retains the hides natural character and has far superior feel to it. As Gary describes it just plain looks and feels so much better that everyone notices. The alternative leathers are processed by first sanding then embossing onto them a faux leather pattern that is very uniform but loses all the character, and most of the feel, of natural top grain leather. Check out that thread, it has a lot of great options ideas as well.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:40 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@simsgw... sensual? you cracked me up, but I think I agree. Personally, I am thinking of getting the full black leather on my base 991, since a) I shudder to think of the care the espresso natural leather will involve (how much more does it need vs the full leather, btw?)... and b) It felt like I was sitting inside a very expensive woman's handbag.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:54 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
I shudder to think of the care the espresso natural leather will involve (how much more does it need vs the full leather, btw?)
it's a dark colour, won't need much more care than black.

ocassional wipe with baby wipes is all you need
Old 11-20-2012, 11:57 AM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by sfo
it's a dark colour, won't need much more care than black.

ocassional wipe with baby wipes is all you need
Are you really sure about that? It's not the color I refer to, but the fact that it is uncoated and needs more TLC to keep it in top condiiton vs the full black leather.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Are you really sure about that? It's not the color I refer to, but the fact that it is uncoated and needs more TLC to keep it in top condiiton vs the full black leather.
yes, I had carrera red natural leather in my RS60 Spyder .. in 29,000 miles and nearly 4 years, I only ever cleaned it with baby wipes.

leather was like new the day I sold it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 PM
rpilot
Pro

interesting.. is "natural leather" available in black as an exclusive option?
Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

@simsgw... sensual? you cracked me up, but I think I agree. Personally, I am thinking of getting the full black leather on my base 991, since a) I shudder to think of the care the espresso natural leather will involve (how much more does it need vs the full leather, btw?)... and b) It felt like I was sitting inside a very expensive woman's handbag.
I have Platinum Silver with full black leather. It feels, lemme see, more like being inside a German leather lined pistol holster than a very expensive woman's handbag. But if you like very expensive women, by all means go for the espresso natural leather.

PS you won't go wrong with either option you described.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:51 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

interesting.. is "natural leather" available in black as an exclusive option?
on 997.2, was available as dark grey natural leather
Old 11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I have Platinum Silver with full black leather. It feels, lemme see, more like being inside a German leather lined pistol holster than a very expensive woman's handbag. But if you like very expensive women, by all means go for the espresso natural leather.

PS you won't go wrong with either option you described.
I had the same feeling about the black full leather. a very business like rigid leather like that of a pistol holder or an old german camera. Also, I was referring to the handbag being expensive, rather than a woman . Seriously though, I do like the natural leather tactile feel and I think I prefer it, but espresso brown is just not my thing and I do worry about care but as others have pointed out it is not a big deal. Perhaps I will look into the dark grey option that sfo mentioned. I do like the very rich very dark brown black the kind of which I have in my favorite sofachair. Ideally a full black leather interior in natural leather with a light headliner (platinum grey?) would be an ideal ticket for me, as I like dark seating and light roofs (along with a gt silver exterior). I need to talk to the dealer further if such a combination is available via porsche exclusive. Maybe some of you have further input on this??
Old 11-20-2012, 02:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

I had the same feeling about the black full leather. a very business like rigid leather like that of a pistol holder or an old german camera. Also, I was referring to the handbag being expensive, rather than a woman . Seriously though, I do like the natural leather tactile feel and I think I prefer it, but espresso brown is just not my thing and I do worry about care but as others have pointed out it is not a big deal. Perhaps I will look into the dark grey option that sfo mentioned. I do like the very rich very dark brown black the kind of which I have in my favorite sofachair. Ideally a full black leather interior in natural leather with a light headliner (platinum grey?) would be an ideal ticket for me, as I like dark seating and light roofs (along with a gt silver exterior). I need to talk to the dealer further if such a combination is available via porsche exclusive. Maybe some of you have further input on this??
Just kidding re the women. I think the softer "full grain" leather is listed only in red or espresso- although Porsche Exclusive will likley provide whatever you are willing to pay for. I have the black Alcantara headliner and prefer it to tan ones I have seen. If it is available in platinum gray and you get a light colored car, match it with the platinum carrera classic wheels and it will be a knockout.

GT Silver is historic and relatively rare. Always loved it- my Boxter S RS-60 was GT Silver and it always felt special. But I parked next to a GT Silver 997 last week and it looked dull compared to the Platinum Silver.

Quick Reply: New comer intro plus questions