Sponsored by:

Winter tires on, top down, love this WA weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hepmonk
Wow, Chuckanut drive looks awesome, I'm going to try it! Do you guys know of a good twisty road near Seattle? We PNWers should all meet one of these days.
be careful of cyclists (like me) on the blind curves

if you do it let me know i'm right at the north end of the road (milepost 19), i'll show you another 5 mile road off chuckanut which is better than chuckanut i think and completely unknown to WSP.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:52 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Wow, Chuckanut drive looks awesome, I'm going to try it! Do you guys know of a good twisty road near Seattle? We PNWers should all meet one of these days.
High Bridge Rd/Elliott Rd winds through the hills along the south bank of the Snoqualmie River into the Snoqualmie valley. Starts with a thrilling descent just across the tracks from the Cathcart store then continues up and down, with a real nice mix of open stretches, meanders, tight 2nd gear bits, hills and one dropoff that I can guarantee will have your heart in your mouth- if you even have the stuff to be going fast there in the first place! (Three Rivers MHP nearby) The whole area is absolutely beautiful, the kind of forest/river/farm country most people think you only find back east. The road - but not your fun- ends with a twisty descent to W Snoqualmie Valley Rd, which you can follow back to Woodinville-Duvall Rd if you want to make it a loop.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:32 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brian Meek
Since I picked up my Cabrio S last week we've had nonstop near freezing rain here in the Seattle area. The traction with the stock summer tires was awful, it made it easy to follow the break-in guidelines, anything else would be pure terror. :-)

Today I installed winter tires, a set of Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. In my short time with them they are a vast improvement on cold wet pavement. The chatter when making full lock turns at parking lot speeds is completely gone, and under breaking that was triggering the ABS with the stock tires there is no drama. Once we get some snow I'll see if they are magical enough to compensate for their amazing width and still find traction.

As it happens today was also the first day of sun since I took delivery so I also got to spend some time with the top down. Between the heated seats, the wind blocker, and the euphoria of driving in the sun in mid December it was nice and comfortable driving 80 Mph in 40 degree weather. :-)

I can't wait to hit the 2k mile mark so I can really open it up. Until then I'll keep finding small reasons for long trips. :-)

Brian, congrats on your new Cab and enjoy!! We're a bit spoiled down here in SoCal in that I can usually drive every day with the top down and no need for Winter tires. View out the windscreen is blocked a bit but that's what the side mirrors are for anyway!! Good choice on the clear side markers, I did this as well, best $49 I ever spent on my Porsche and still hard to believe they weren't much more expensive...after all they are for a Porsche! Frustrating how $$$ parts are for the Porsche...not that you can't afford it but just hate to get taken every time I order anything for the Porsche...safe travels
Old 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM
Fabolous
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I second that. Lets have a seattle meet. Ill keep an eye out for my fellow carerra red interior-ed comrades
Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1, just need to take delivery first!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:53 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in for a Chukanut drive once my white/red/red S Cab gets here. It's only a short drive from here (Vancouver) to either end of the Chukanut. Delivery expected around March 10 at this point.

For those of you (including me) who like to drive with the top down in late fall/winter might I suggest you check out "Heinz Bauer Manufakt" on the Web. They have a line of "Cabriolet" jackets with a very special collar that unzips and then there's a windbreak that covers your neck. They are in Germany but the service is great. I have several of the jackets with one on the way to colour match the incoming Cabriolet.
The jackets are not inexpensive but neither is a Porsche Cab. The quality is excellent.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:21 PM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by John 996 TT Cab
For those of you (including me) who like to drive with the top down in late fall/winter might I suggest you check out "Heinz Bauer Manufakt" on the Web. They have a line of "Cabriolet" jackets with a very special collar that unzips and then there's a windbreak that covers your neck. They are in Germany but the service is great. I have several of the jackets with one on the way to colour match the incoming Cabriolet.
The jackets are not inexpensive but neither is a Porsche Cab. The quality is excellent.
beautiful jackets, but $1700 euro? those frauleins in the photos would have to come with it for that price.

since your getting a new jacket to match incoming 991S cab (white? red?), are you wanting to get rid of a black,brown,or silver one in size small?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The price on their site includes the 20% German VAT. Even with that you will find many $2,500 leather jackets in the finer stores in the US. The quality of the Cabrio jacket will match or exceed their quality in most instances. Have you priced a Porsche Design leather jacket in the US lately?

Unfortunately no jackets to be sold (mine are all the equivalent of the large end of 2XL sizing in US jackets and are custom made for my size and short arms and I'm keeping them anyway. One for heavy/winter weather and one for Spring/fall (both leather) and a faux suede one that can stand rain. New one will be spring/fall weight. Wife has one also and loves it.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:18 PM
ceruman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 991 Cab RWD with Michelin snow tires and it is awesome in snow here in Northern Illinois. The stock summer tires are terrifying in the cold, and it's far too easy to get sideways (which I did).

Will drive it this winter as it good in all but the deepest snow otherwise

That's all
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 29 Posts

i hit chuckanut almost every weekend and then some. bellingham to edison is my goto drive for sure. rarely go above the speed limit anymore, tourists, cyclists, deer and all the blind curves...it seems selfish to drive it fast. also, i feel like i almost always see wsp, my last ticket was at the south end of chuckanut they hide in the trees in front of chuckant manor. they also like to back in the driveways just before the firestation. great road didn't used to be double lined. too many motorcycle fatalities im thinking. still tho gorgeous worthwhile drive even at 40 mph

Quick Reply: Winter tires on, top down, love this WA weather