Sponsored by:

Glass or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 08:46 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RayDBonz
If I were to order one, it would not have a sunroof at all. The new design just ruins the lines of the car when open IMHO. Also, why is it so huge when it only opens about half way? Silly design.
I agree....I ordered mine without the sunroof.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:50 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks especially good with lighter colored cars, the 2-tone contrast is fantastic even without considering the extra light it brings into the cabin.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Naushaud
Intermediate

I got the regular sunroof only because I hated the look of the black top on white. To me the white sunroof on white was just so stealthy, closed it looks just like a hardtop. On darker colors, maybe even grey I would go glass all the way.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:54 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my glass roof.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:45 AM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine has the regular sunroof - I got it pre-owned. If I were to order one, it would not have a sunroof at all. The new design just ruins the lines of the car when open IMHO. Also, why is it so huge when it only opens about half way? Silly design.
I ordered without one because:

1) I had a glass sunroof explode on my old Passat.
2) I had issues with the mechanism not wanting to open repeatedly on my old 944.
3) Reports of rattles.
4) It doesn't open far enough for me to justify it. It is a little bit odd in terms of panel size to opening - I didn't understand it either.
5) My wife hates an open sunroof.

I don't hate them myself, just am a bit gun-shy after various issues on other cars, and didn't feel like this one opened far enough back. In contrast, on the old 944 it was the giant opening where you popped out the panel and put it in the trunk. That was really nice.

All of that said, had I added it, it definitely would have been the glass to let in light even when it's not open, somewhat depending on the color of the car though. I got Guards Red and didn't like the look of the black roof with red car, and I'm totally happy without it.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM
carrerapete
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love mine; the dark glass looks really classy.

I also dislike the way the headliner looks when there is no sunroof; it appears to be just hanging there.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:22 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

If I were to order one, it would not have a sunroof at all. The new design just ruins the lines of the car when open IMHO. Also, why is it so huge when it only opens about half way? Silly design.
I am having difficulty finding a C2 with pdk and sc. Don't care about my '12 or '13. I almost broke down while at the dealer and looked at the glass roof. You are right that the actual opening is large but the roof panel only opens about half way. Perhaps it will obscure the back view/window. Back to looking for the sans roof car.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:46 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I went w/o, due to the clean look of roof w/o extra lines.

And the opening size. Which also annoyed me on my 997 Targa -- large panel that stopped "short."

(Targa also had some noise issues at times, and whether 991 does or not, figured no roof opening would eliminate the possibility of a roof opening noise).

And didn't mind dropping extra weight, up high.

What I would like to add, instead, is pop-out rear quarter windows a-la old school.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:48 PM
suhaas307
AutoX

Originally Posted by Naushaud
I got the regular sunroof only because I hated the look of the black top on white. To me the white sunroof on white was just so stealthy, closed it looks just like a hardtop. On darker colors, maybe even grey I would go glass all the way.
^^ +1!

It looks the business on colours like Agate and Anthracite, DBM and both the blacks. Not so much on silvers, guards, racing yellow and the like.. IMO
Old 03-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fbroen
I went w/o, due to the clean look of roof w/o extra lines.
What has your experience been without the sunroof? Any wind buffeting? Can you "feel" the weight diff? Cheers.
Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

I do not have access to straight comparison 991, so cannot "feel" it. But my mind feels good knowing it's not there. ;-)

Buffeting -- I have not had to deal with buffeting as I have not had it on track in the U.S., yet. But, yes, that is why I would like to have the option of the pop-outs.

On the street, cracking passenger side window seems to take care of it for me, so no complaints.

Will be curious to see if anyone installs the Cup mirrors, which may render it all a non-issue:

Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Atomicman
Intermediate

So how much bigger is the actual opening on the glass roof vs. the steel roof?
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 PM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, it's big trouble. You may not want to get out of your car at all and instead spend your whole day in a light-filled cabin. You might stop at a light at night and look up and enjoy the lights from skyscrapers. You might be very displeased by how stunning and different your car looks from most other cars. And just think of all that weight you'll be saving on top by not having it. Stay away from it.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:56 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Atomicman
So how much bigger is the actual opening on the glass roof vs. the steel roof?
Same dimensions. Wider than 997 models. No obstruction to rear vision. Very handy ventilation when popped in the rear.

Some think ugly when open - but since that is only visible from the outside the car, that is very considerate re onlookers. Weighs a bit more than the aluminum sunroof.

Based on the weight of the car and its distribution, if you can notice the effect of weight difference compared to no roof you have a wonderful imagination.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:53 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Same dimensions. Wider than 997 models. No obstruction to rear vision. Very handy ventilation when popped in the rear....

While the actual opening is much smaller than the panel--glass or steel--IMO this is more of an issue with the steel s/r than the glass s/r. Rarely do I open the s/r; rather, I normally keep the s/r closed, and the shade retracted. That way the entire (large) roof opening is letting light into the cabin, but there's no noise or buffeting at speed. IOW, I'd have been happy to have the glass roof only be able to tilt (to vent heat while parked as noted by Chuck), not slide back as it is on my 650.

A poster from FL noted that he chose the steel s/r b/c of the heat blasting through the glass, even with the shade drawn. It's pretty hot and sunny here in socal as well, so I had an IR blocking tint--Huper Optik in my case-- applied to the glass s/r. That allows me to keep the shade retracted on all but the sunniest days. Did the same for the panaorama s/r on my Touareg. No problem with heat entering the cabin with the shade drawn in either vehicle on the hottest days.

Spyder

Quick Reply: Glass or not