Sponsored by:

A/C Odor

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 06:01 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default A/C Odor

Does anyone here experience an unpleasant odor from the A/C once it's first turned on? The dealer blames it on Houston's humid weather, so I am more inclined to hear from other Houstonian owners or those from towns with similar climate. We have brought it back to spray some sort of chemical in the vents, which only remedied the problem for a very short period of time. They also tell us that there's nothing else they can do. We also only noticed this after the A/C recall was done on our car...could be a coincident, but I wonder if it was related. So, are others here experiencing the same thing?

Cheers,
Kevin
Old 03-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Crabman141
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always heard to shut you A/C off right before reaching your detestation but leaving the fan on to dry out your A/C lines. I've always done this on all my cars and haven't had an issue as of yet but have smelled it in other peoples vehicles, maybe someone else has a better solution but that has always worked for me.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Sounds like the drain line might be plugged. This allows mold/mildew-like organisms to grow in the evaporator housing. The dealer techs may have kinked or otherwise blocked the drain line while performing the recall work, so that would be the first thing to check.

If the service techs sprayed stuff into your vents and didn't bother to check the drain line first, that is a sign you don't want them within 100 yards of your car. It'd be appropriate to find another dealer or indy shop.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoTexas
Does anyone here experience an unpleasant odor from the A/C once it's first turned on? The dealer blames it on Houston's humid weather, so I am more inclined to hear from other Houstonian owners or those from towns with similar climate. We have brought it back to spray some sort of chemical in the vents, which only remedied the problem for a very short period of time. They also tell us that there's nothing else they can do. We also only noticed this after the A/C recall was done on our car...could be a coincident, but I wonder if it was related. So, are others here experiencing the same thing?

Cheers,
Kevin
No, but sometimes I can smell my own farts the next day. Too air tight I guess. Unfortunately I'm serious for once.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:14 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Originally Posted by Crabman141
I've always heard to shut you A/C off right before reaching your detestation but leaving the fan on to dry out your A/C lines. I've always done this on all my cars and haven't had an issue as of yet but have smelled it in other peoples vehicles, maybe someone else has a better solution but that has always worked for me.
I've tried this with my Lexus, turning off the A/C 1/2 mile from home, and it never worked for that car.

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Sounds like the drain line might be plugged. This allows mold/mildew-like organisms to grow in the evaporator housing. The dealer techs may have kinked or otherwise blocked the drain line while performing the recall work, so that would be the first thing to check.

If the service techs sprayed stuff into your vents and didn't bother to check the drain line first, that is a sign you don't want them within 100 yards of your car. It'd be appropriate to find another dealer or indy shop.
Maybe I should try a different dealer. I've only been dealing with the one I ordered it from.

Originally Posted by holminator
No, but sometimes I can smell my own farts the next day. Too air tight I guess. Unfortunately I'm serious for once.
uh hmmm uh no comment.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:22 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheers,
Kevin
This is a very common problem in many Porsche cars and not only in high humidity areas like Houston. If you do a search of all the forums for "vent odor" or just "odor" you will find a lot of discussion. Most folks have tried a couple remedies (myself included) - 1) replace cabin air filter with a charcoal activated one and 2) buy some A/C vent spray / cleaner. The kind with a long tube you can use to get the cleaner as far into the A/C center vent as possible. But even after all that, most of us find it is a recurring issue and just becomes part of our maintenance process.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Had no idea even though for Miami, very humid in summer. Note the Coconut Grove pic. Hope it's nothing. I never had that problem.

I tell yah. I get no respect. For my brother Rodney. I miss you hommie.

Last edited by holminator; 03-20-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Replace cabin filter
Old 03-20-2013, 11:19 PM
meine911
Racer

Originally Posted by griffiths
Replace cabin filter
Ditto.
Also, I'm in Houston area. No problem.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:40 PM
GoTexas
Instructor

Alright, I will order the filter and change it out. Hopefully, I will report back with good news, but I highly doubt it will solve the issue though.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:49 PM
meine911
Racer

Alright, I will order the filter and change it out. Hopefully, I will report back with good news, but I highly doubt it will solve the issue though.
Good luck. If still a problem, I'd get another expert opinion. Sounds like your dealer is not trying real hard.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:23 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Here is a more intuitive suggestion.
1) Remove the cabin filter. Inspect it. If you find black or green mold, that's a source of the smell. Order a new filter and replace it.
2) While you have the filter out, grab an inspection mirror, flex light
or borrow an inexpensive fiberscope if need be (I forget how far away the evap coil is from the filter). Inspect the evaporator coil for the same contaminants (black or green mold). There are products available,Air Conditioner Deodorizers, at the local brick and motar auto parts store to spray on the evap coil to kill the mold and reduce odors
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by griffiths
1) Remove the cabin filter. Inspect it. If you find black or green mold, that's a source of the smell. Order a new filter and replace it.
or borrow an inexpensive fiberscope if need be (I forget how far away the evap coil is from the filter). Inspect the evaporator coil for the same contaminants (black or green mold). There are products available,Air Conditioner Deodorizers, at the local brick and motar auto parts store to spray on the evap coil to kill the mold and reduce odors
. By the way, keeping the 'mold' off the evaporator coil will extend its life (contaminants hold moisture for long periods of time, leading to ->corrosion->leaking coil; especially on thinner plate and fin designs as found post 993, i.e. 996, Boxster, etc.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:29 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

or borrow an inexpensive fiberscope if need be (I forget how far away the evap coil is from the filter). Inspect the evaporator coil for the same contaminants (black or green mold). There are products available,Air Conditioner Deodorizers, at the local brick and motar auto parts store to spray on the evap coil to kill the mold and reduce odors[/QUOTE]. By the way, keeping the 'mold' off the evaporator coil will extend its life (contaminants hold moisture for long periods of time, leading to ->corrosion->leaking coil; especially on thinner plate and fin designs as found post 993, i.e. 996, Boxster, etc.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 AM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

or borrow an inexpensive fiberscope if need be (I forget how far away the evap coil is from the filter). Inspect the evaporator coil for the same contaminants (black or green mold). There are products available,Air Conditioner Deodorizers, at the local brick and motar auto parts store to spray on the evap coil to kill the mold and reduce odors. By the way, keeping the 'mold' off the evaporator coil will extend its life (contaminants hold moisture for long periods of time, leading to ->corrosion->leaking coil; especially on thinner plate and fin designs as found post 993, i.e. 996, Boxster, etc.

Quick Reply: A/C Odor