Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991S Not Starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:14 AM
alg1367
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So tonight I took the 991S out for a "spirited" drive (roughly 15 miles, up to 6500-7k rpm). Parked it at the destination, it sat for about 2.5 hours. The ambient temp fell from about 65 to 45 (dew everywhere).

Got back in the car, it would turn over no problem but it wouldn't fire. I tried multiple times (7x), but it wouldn't give. So I called roadside to have it towed to my dealer. While waiting for the flatbed I went out (20 min later) to try again and it fired up. Cancelled the tow and went home.

Has anyone had this happen before?

Thoughts / advice would be appreciated.

I plan on having it examined by my dealer tomorrow. I will post if anything comes of it.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 AM
laptin
2nd Gear

Hi I got the exact same problem. It wont' start after a spirited drive (perhaps?) I couldn't constantly reproduce mine. But my car will be able to start after like 15-20mins. And this has happened to me like freaking 10times already over 1.5 month period. I got the car in March.
I am so disappointed with Porsche.Brought it into dealer 3x already and they couldn't reproduce it. They couldn't find any fault codes in the system. No mechanical issue either. Now they are ordering some parts (crank sensor or something) to replace it and let me try to see if my issue would go away.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:32 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

a buddy had a crank sensor issue recently.. seems like a common problem lately for 991's
Old 05-10-2013, 02:58 AM
alg1367
Track Day

Originally Posted by laptin
Hi I got the exact same problem. It wont' start after a spirited drive (perhaps?) I couldn't constantly reproduce mine. But my car will be able to start after like 15-20mins. And this has happened to me like freaking 10times already over 1.5 month period. I got the car in March.
I am so disappointed with Porsche.Brought it into dealer 3x already and they couldn't reproduce it. They couldn't find any fault codes in the system. No mechanical issue either. Now they are ordering some parts (crank sensor or something) to replace it and let me try to see if my issue would go away.
Interesting. Can you let me know what part??

I'd like to have this info in hand. That's EXACTLY the problem you described. This is the first time. It also doesn't usually get taken above 6k on the tach.

I will have the service manager at Paul Miller drive it hard with me tomorrow.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:00 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

did it crank though or not even that?

Just once...mine took a long crank and didn't start the first time..but immediately did the 2nd time. The workshop mgr said it's probably the fuel...I always use chevron or shell... from that time I only use shell...(not sure entirely if it's the fuel issue but hey they put a lot of sh** in the fuel in California...)
Old 05-10-2013, 03:04 AM
alg1367
Track Day

Originally Posted by fester
did it crank though or not even that?

Just once...mine took a long crank and didn't start the first time..but immediately did the 2nd time. The workshop mgr said it's probably the fuel...I always use chevron or shell... from that time I only use shell...(not sure entirely if it's the fuel issue but hey they put a lot of sh** in the fuel in California...)
It cranked multiple times no problem at all. The starter would only spin at each time about 3-4 seconds tops and then automatically paused.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:04 AM
alg1367
Track Day

Has anyone else had this issue??
Old 05-10-2013, 08:32 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

I picked a GT3 up at the factory. I drove it to the Stelvio Pass. When I was negotiating the switchback I had to slow and stop on one of the turns. The car stalled. It took 5-6 attempts to get it started again and then the engine light went on. When I got to St. Moritz the Porsche dealership was closed. I waited for the next morning to bring it in. It started immediately in the morning and the engine light was off. Never had another problem in the time I owned the car. When the car was checked at the dealership in the States, they found no error codes. I think it was a CO2 sensor problem that corrected itself after I got it started. The funny thing is you think that the "big brother" computers in the car would have a record of all untoward behavior of the car but it doesn't. It can be very frustrating.

Let's hope you don't have any more "episodes". Good luck.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:25 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
I picked a GT3 up at the factory. I drove it to the Stelvio Pass. When I was negotiating the switchback I had to slow and stop on one of the turns. The car stalled. It took 5-6 attempts to get it started again and then the engine light went on. When I got to St. Moritz the Porsche dealership was closed. I waited for the next morning to bring it in. It started immediately in the morning and the engine light was off. Never had another problem in the time I owned the car. When the car was checked at the dealership in the States, they found no error codes. I think it was a CO2 sensor problem that corrected itself after I got it started. The funny thing is you think that the "big brother" computers in the car would have a record of all untoward behavior of the car but it doesn't. It can be very frustrating.

Let's hope you don't have any more "episodes". Good luck.

Stelvio pass must have been sweet. Hopefully you were going up on the switchbacks?
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is your car a stick or PDK?
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM
alg1367
Track Day

Originally Posted by kosmo
is your car a stick or PDK?
Stick
Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM
certified_prime
Instructor

I had it happen one time. Car wouldn't turn over. I waited 1 minute, then tried again and it worked.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
alg1367
Track Day

Originally Posted by certified_prime
I had it happen one time. Car wouldn't turn over. I waited 1 minute, then tried again and it worked.
The car would turn over no problem for me, it just wouldn't fire.

I have a service appointment for end of month. They couldn't find anything in terms of codes.

Once some of the others get the new crank sensor, could you please post the part number if it is on your service record when you pick up the car?

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:32 AM
Cogito_Ergo_Zoom
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had a slightly hesitant start once, maybe twice, after really hard runs, but nothing to this degree.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
The workshop mgr said it's probably the fuel.
Where do they come up this with nonsense. Fuel?? You could put 87 in the car and it would run - not very well, but it would certainly run.

Definitely a sensor or something along those lines.

Quick Reply: 991S Not Starting