Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European Delivery Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 05:05 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome and congrats! Classic bucket list stuff. Have a great time driving around Europe.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:44 PM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fantastic! congrats, and i hope you can post some more about your factory visit. i really want to make the trip over there as well...
Old 05-17-2013, 08:25 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Sweet! picking it up in Germany is just the icing on the cake.
Just got mine in same color combo but with red seat belts.
Drive it in good health.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by alanjcook
Order came out well except one detail: no deviating stitching on leather steering column. Factory helpful so far but needs to coordinate with dealer on next steps.
Alan: Sorry to hear about this small glitch in your order. We have discussed this problem in my 'Custom Ordering' thread since early on. My friend 'Oldman 40', who just posted here in your thread, might be able to tell us if that was possible on his recent '13 C4S Cab order! He ordered the leather steering column (attached photo) and might know if deviating stitching was available on that option a few months ago! Normally yes, but as you know deviating stitching has been anything but normal on the 991 or 981! I love that option - regardless if you eventually get deviating stitching on it or not!

Enjoy ED on your 991! If you can make the time, try to eat here while in France!

http://www.auberge-de-l-ill.com/V2/index.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
CO
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2013, 10:08 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi all. Amazing day. Here are a few pictures and thoughts.

I was VERY excited on the way to the factory. Pictures 1, 2 and 3.

Upon arrival I checked in and walked around the Porsche Exclusive showroom (pictures to be uploaded separately tomorrow or soon thereafter). The delivery program began promptly on schedule and a factory rep reviewed my European driving insurance and we did some paper work. Pictures 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8.

Then we went upstairs to see the car. I got chills seeing my car in person for the first time! I received a detailed one-on-one walk through. My rep spent over an hour with me going through every function of every button and menu. I even had a couple of pages of questions written in advance -- mostly about PCM, logbook, juke box and some obscure technical things. The rep hit 2/3 of my questions without prompting and was happy to walk through all of my other questions. Very patient and very thorough.

Some pictures of the car: 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14.

SUGGESTION: CHECK-IN EARLY TO MAXIMIZE ONE ON ONE TIME

My suggested arrival time was 815. There was less traffic than I anticipated so I arrived 20 minutes early. I was first person to check in and my name was called first to begin paper work and go to my car. This was helpful because everyone goes on the factory tour together after the personal walk throughs. Another couple checked in after me and started their walk through after me, but we ended our walk throughs at the same time. So their walk through was significantly shorter than mine. At lunch they said they wished they had more time for their walk through. So if you want to ensure maximum time for your walk through and you have a morning pickup time, get there a little early.

(If you have an afternoon pickup time I don't know if getting there early helps or not).

After the walk through I drove the car about 200 feet, parked the car and went on the factory tour. Unfortunately phones and cameras are held in a locker during the tour. That means NO PICTURES ARE ALLOWED IN THE FACTORY.

Toured the engine area, assembly area and upholstery area. They will take you to other areas upon request. The operation is sophisticated. Just-in-time production of engines, bodies, etc. Automation is used to move assemblies around the shop floor, but nearly all work in these areas is done by hand!

Lunch was provided after tour. Well prepared and served. There were about 10 people on our tour. I had lunch with a few other people and enjoyed talking to everyone. How could you not be happy?! Some were picking up their first Porsche. Someone else was on number 16! The rest were somewhere in between. Countries represented in the English-speaking group today = USA, England and Sweden.

I appreciated some of the small details. For example, there were gummy bears in the shape of 911 in the waiting room! Picture 15.

A few other thoughts:

ISSUE: I mentioned an issue earlier with one feature in my car. This lead to a constructive discussion on site at factory and immediate review with my dealer back in the States. EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE IS ON DISPLAY. An email was waiting for me at the hotel tonight with a potential solution. I have to ask a few clarifying questions so I don't want to say anything further about this other than I am impressed with the attentiveness and care I am receiving so far.

MUSEUM: Personally, I really liked the Porsche museum. I enjoyed the story and the cars. Across town the Mercedes Museum talks about the development of the automobile and uses world history to provide context for cars in general. The Porsche museum is all about P-cars. As I said, I enjoyed both museums, but THE PORSCHE MUSEUM IS BEST SUITED FOR GEAR HEADS OR THOSE WITH FOND THOUGHTS OF THE MARQUE. THE MERCEDES MUSEUM MAY BE MORE ENJOYABLE FOR SIGNIFICANT OTHERS THAT ARE NOT AS INTO CARS OR PORSCHES REGARDLESS OF WHICH CAMP YOU FALL INTO, IF YOU HAVE TIME ALSO CHECK OUT THE MERCEDES MUSEUM.

SCHEDULING YOUR TRIP: I was over ambitious. I drove around town for a couple hours after pick up. Then I drove to another town and got caught in rush hour traffic. Then I went onto some random roads and got lost in a residential neighborhood with VERY NARROW streets. Yikes! When I finally succumbed to listening to the GPS I got to my destination late in the evening. Tomorrow morning I am off to another city. Oof! My mistake: I got over excited and over planned. I'm adjusting the rest of my itinerary as a result Learn from my mistake and GIVE YOURSELF A DAY OR TWO TO RECOVER FROM THE EXCITEMENT OF THE PICKUP. In hindsight I should have either stayed in Stuttgart the night after getting the car or driven somewhere close by (and listened to the GPS!) AND planned to stay at that location for at least a day or two (and take short day drips from that location).

More to follow early early next week!

All best,
Alan
Attached Images                
Old 05-17-2013, 10:56 PM
ny991
Nordschleife Master

Received 164 Likes on 114 Posts

That, is one beautiful car!
Old 05-18-2013, 04:45 AM
Mr.Boon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Really happy for you. If you have more pics, would love to see them.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:00 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI- Do not go to L'auberge d'lille in Illhausen (near Strasbourg). Since old man Haebelin died and son took over, the food went downhill. Check the Michelin guide for other three star restaurants. Autobahn to Austria is one of the few stretches of road that is still speed limit free. Also, break in regimen for US cars is a joke to the rest of the Porsche world. Just warm her up first, vary the revs and go like hell as traffic dictates. Have a blast. Best...
Old 05-18-2013, 01:12 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

This is great stuff - Thanks for sharing the details! I'm just a few days away from my own Euro delivery and your details are answering a lot of the questions I had about logistics. Thanks so much and enjoy the car!!! I wasn't sure about that Brown, but that is one beautiful car!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Congrats on the car.

I have black/ luxor for my anthracite brown. Never thought your color combo will work out so nice.

Porsche gummies!?! Does it give you special power if you eat one while driving?

I like the 9:11 on the SC.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:23 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Originally Posted by LonnieR
Euro delivery is great. I did it with my GT3. Stelvio is a great view, the driving is not that great because of all the switchbacks. Surprisingly the best part of the trip is just driving the secondary roads.
Holds true in the neighboring countries, too! A few friends have suggested specific roads. The surprising thing is how tired you get -- driving at high speed, new roads, caring for self and care -- requires very high level of concentration! I'm taking a no driving day tomorrow!

Originally Posted by duxsi
If you hold your hand up close to this screen, you just may feel the hate oozing towards you!!!

Very nice build and the MT is an absolute blast. (However, before I get castrated I would like to hereby state that PDK is also amazing).
Love you too

The MT is great. Yet today I was very thankful for Sport Plus and auto-blipping on downshifts (and upshifts if you hesitate too long). Driving mountain passes can be scary at times! Was nice to have one less thing to do to get used to the terrain. Was also nice to turn off Sport Chrono once I was more settled

Great hybrid between fully manual and fully auto.

Originally Posted by Mr.Boon
Please post as many pics as you can! Especially of the glass sun roof please
I will try to get them in a couple of days!

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Oh my that's a beauty and congrats. Enjoy the trip and look forward to your pictures. Thank you for keeping us updated.
I posted several more pictures on my blog at alanjcook.wordpress.com. I took some videos and will post them in next message.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Hi All,

Here are three videos from the last few days.

1) Drove car off the factory lot. Stopped at hotel. Accidentally left camera running and picked up part of a phone call with my mother at 3:00 -- capturing her excitement was an instant lifetime memory. Then first drive on Autobahn.

2) Started in Baden Baden and drove south on the Romantic Road through the Black Forest. Really opened car up for first time. Great scenery. Then met officer friendly at 2:55. Did not get ticket or fine but was scared out of my mind. But his friendliness was awesome. No ticket or fine. Then he gave me driving suggestions! Priceless.

3) Drove along Lake Zurich into countryside. Had lunch along Urner Sea. Continued to Klausen Pass. Awesome. Best drive yet. Videos of ascent and decent on mountain will be posted later, but here is some nice footage on the way there.

TECHNICAL NOTE: Sorry for the grainy footage. I recorded Super HD files which are gorgeous, but the large native files are choking my laptop. So these videos are compiled from lower resolution proof videos.

Hope they are enjoyable!

Alan
Old 05-20-2013, 01:42 AM
roup1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing and congrats!!!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:45 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow just wonderful - thanks so much for sharing the trip
Old 05-20-2013, 03:20 AM
oldman40
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Alan: Sorry to hear about this small glitch in your order. We have discussed this problem in my 'Custom Ordering' thread since early on. My friend 'Oldman 40', who just posted here in your thread, might be able to tell us if that was possible on his recent '13 C4S Cab order! He ordered the leather steering column (attached photo) and might know if deviating stitching was available on that option a few months ago! Normally yes, but as you know deviating stitching has been anything but normal on the 991 or 981! I love that option - regardless if you eventually get deviating stitching on it or not!
alan, when i ordered my my13 cab s in november, i was specifically told by exclusive folks that while my add't dash in leather could be done in deviated stitching, the steering column and storage compartment/rear center tunnel could not yet. i see that the new gt3 has deviated stitching for the rear center tunnel now, but not sure about the steering column in leather. so in summary i had no unexpected surprises, but i'm sorry to hear about your issue. hope you are enjoying every minute in your beautiful 991!

Quick Reply: European Delivery Tomorrow