Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

European Delivery Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 04:06 AM
Mr.Boon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video 3, 0:30, your face is priceless Seeing this makes me want to change my order to pick up the car in Germany. mmm is about 1800km from home.

Issue I'm having is that I don't want to run in the engine on just highway, as variable RPM (under 4k) is best I read.

Btw do you have any odd sounds from the sunroof? Many people complain about rattles. As your car is 1 day old, I hoped Porsche might have fixed this issue now on the newer cars.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:55 AM
I'mAllIn
Rennlist Member

Everything about this is super bad ***! Car is awesome, euro delivery is on my bucket list, pictures and videos are sweet and your shirt and shoes even matches!

You sir are fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to share with us.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:48 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Why did the cop pull you over? Didn't look like you were speeding compared to the bikes in front of you
Old 05-20-2013, 10:31 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Autobahn rearview mirror nightmare

Don't you just hate it when you just picked up your new Porsche at the factory, pull it onto the autobahn and within 5 mins....

Last edited by LonnieR; 06-13-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 AM
Mr.Boon
Intermediate

Can you make some detailed pics of your sun roof please? open, closed, inside and out. Would be much appreciated.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for the update. Sorry about the Polizei, hopefully it was just a slap on the wrist.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LonnieR
Don't you just hate it when you just picked up your new Porsche at the factory, pull it onto the autobahn and within 5 mins....
Yes, that would be a drag...except that this particular '997 Polizei' you chose for a photo taken from the internet is actually a 'faux kit' version for auto shows & publicity! Fewer Polizie in Germany can afford to purchase new 911's for their local or national police forces! Too bad!

In fact, it is not that surprising to be stopped during your ED travel in the EU, although the Polizei cruiser stopping you will likely be a BMW or MB! Many new cars are stolen in Germany and crooks think they can put Toll-Free plates on them and drive it up to Russia via Poland, etc. Or in Southern Europe, direct to a busy port city! SO it is not surprising that Polizei will stop you on Duty-Free plates once in a while while in Germany & EU regarding a standard 'check your papers' episode! Alan was apparently stopped for 'speeding', but given a warning and told to slow down! He was lucky!

On my last dust off with with the Polizei, I was pulled over on an Autobahn that led from Austria into Germany going faster than the speed limit! I was already in Germany when it happened. I was on a BMW with ED plates. I saw a flash on the right, then a policemen (looked like he had just graduated from high school!) pulled me over into a 'rest stop' by waving his 'STOP' or 'HALT' hand-held sign! There I was joined by at least 25 other 'violators'...with new recruits joining us every few minutes. Most of the cars caught speeding were ANYTHING but sport machines - they were mostly basic Diesel econoboxes! The Polizei had it all well organized - they had a VW Polizie van set up as a temp office & collection agency! You waited your turn, went in and paid your fine (mostly in cash)! Then you went on your way! 100 Euros on the spot. The verbal exchanges between the Polizei & their 'guests' was minimal. The thing I found most interesting was the young age of the male & female Polizei officers involved....and that EACH was carrying a substantial machine pistol, loaded for 'bear'!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images    
Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by oldman40
alan, when i ordered my my13 cab s in november, i was specifically told by exclusive folks that while my add't dash in leather could be done in deviated stitching, the steering column and storage compartment/rear center tunnel could not yet. i see that the new gt3 has deviated stitching for the rear center tunnel now, but not sure about the steering column in leather. so in summary i had no unexpected surprises, but i'm sorry to hear about your issue. hope you are enjoying every minute in your beautiful 991!
Thank you for responding to one of Alan's concerns, oldmam 40! As I currently understand it, the steering column gets Agate leather done with default stitching, which is 'Agate' and NOT in 'Pebble Grey'! That is exactly what you also got! There should not be a deviating stitching charge to the steering leather column because there is NO deviating stitching provided! I am trying to get him sorted out so that he doesn't have this issue to provide him an extra worry during his great ED! The car looks great!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Old 05-22-2013, 09:39 AM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi All,

POLICE: I edited out the bulk of the conversation with the policeman... and just left in his hello and goodbye... speeding may or may not have been involved... I admit nothing ... but he was very friendly, let me go without ticket or fine and gave me some road suggestions. The experience was priceless.

At first I didn't realize it was the police. Motor cycles were passing me all morning. So when two more cycles pulled up behind me I just thought I'd get passed again at the next turn. Except this time one stayed behind me and his partner rode up next to me and waved me over. The second cop never approached the car. But was watch from behind the entire time. I thought for sure I'd get an expensive ticket or face some more serious outcome.

Given how it happened I appreciated getting pulled over. The cop explained that on this stretch of road there had been many accidents lately... speed limit signs show up from time to time... and I was well over them.

His point was: do not cross to other side of road... slow down more than you think is necessary in the corners because you don't know if the other person is staying on his side of the road... and it is easier to tell this to someone in brand new car with tourist plates than is it to clean up an accident.

I'm not being sarcastic -- it was a very good reminder. Plus a great story in the end.

DEVIATING STITCHING ON STEERING COLUMN - I know this seems like a minor detail. I was just surprised at delivery based on my recollection of the conversation with my dealer at time of placing order. This is something that cannot be seen from behind the steering wheel, and it does not impact driving performance. It certainly is not reducing my enjoyment of driving on this trip!

However, it is something that can be seen from passenger seat, which was my consideration at time of placing order. This detail that is more about my "design approach and craft mentality" which spills over from my day job. The best way to explain it is this: if were to build a set of cabinets I would care about the construction of the back panel, even if no one ever sees it. I concede this is a "back of the cabinet detail." But I still care about them.

SUNROOF PICTURES. It's been raining for the last couple of days so I have not had a chance to take proper pictures. But here are some to hold you over from earlier photos. The red arrows point to the three black glass panels. EDIT:ACK!!! I can't upload them to Rennlist for some reason - over my quota? - but you can see some pictures here: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A2GqkRUiGNXGMz

No driving today. Gonna take in a museum

Ttys,
Alan
Old 05-22-2013, 10:07 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 114 Posts

Alan, has your girlfriend placed a missing persons report for you yet??
Old 05-22-2013, 01:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Sorry for the off topic,but regarding getting pulled over in Europe with an American driver license,just wondering what's the worst you could get if you do insane speeds over the limit? Can anyone contribute?
Besides a hefty fine,do you risk having your license or car taken away?
Cause it sure sounds tempting...
Not that I encourage it kids....
Sorry for the stupid question.

Last edited by neanicu; 05-22-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
bboerit
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your experience and adventure. Your pictures, videos, and comments are most enjoyable to say the least and really helps us poor b******s endure the pain of waiting on our own 991 deliveries!
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 PM
jy2114
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold !! I'm doing the Euro delivery next spring. Already started to build my new 991 turbo (any takers on a lightly used Jan production 2013 C2S ...).

Cheers.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:29 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Hi All:

Sorry for the delay! Been a busy few days. Updated the blog. Focused today on tourist posts (where I've been, what I've seen). Driving notes, itineraries and videos to be posted next. Until there here two sets of pictures.

1. Interior, two-tone agate grey/pebble grey with deviating stitching and carbon fiber:

http://alanjcook.wordpress.com/2013/...erior-details/

2. A few pictures from the cockpit while driving:

http://alanjcook.wordpress.com/2013/...go-pro-stills/

iMovie is processing two videos. Hope to post in the morning!

All best,
Alan
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

The next two videos are uploaded and watchable here:

http://alanjcook.wordpress.com/2013/...t-and-descent/

YouTube was still processing 3A Climbing Klausen Pass, but video 3B Descending Klausen Pass is watchable. It's the better of the two videos anyway! Hopefully 3A will be live shortly!

Quick Reply: European Delivery Tomorrow