Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:24 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default European Delivery Tomorrow

Hi All,

Picking up car at the factory tomorrow morning and I'm excited

Settled into Hotel Steigenberger Grad Zeppelin in stuttgart yesterday. They treated me to an upgrade to the Rain Man suite. Won't confuse hotel for the Four Seasons but service couldn't be nicer and more helpful. Lovely so far.

Went to a jazz club last night and it was a step back into the big band era. Band leader looking like a mix between Doc from back to the future and Gabe Kaplan from Welcome Back Kotter.

Today's highlight was the Mercedes museum. Despite my personal affinity for p-cars the museum was awesome. Even for those without passion for cars would enjoy it too. Excellent presentation of historical events for late 1800's to present provides informative backdrop for the cars. The motion simulator at the end was fun, too (4 euro up charge, paid at exhibit).

Of course, tomorrow is main event

Car build details:

C4S, anthracite metallic brown, two tone leather agate grey/pebble grey with deviating stitching, black tachonometer, carbon fiber on dash, doors, center console and lighted entry

7sp manual transmission, sport chrono, PSE

Glass sunroof and Burmester stereo

Major electronic goodies: parking assist (front and rear), folding mirrors, phone (for local SIM cards), electronic logbook (to record trip) and Internet services (took a flyer on this)

General itinerary: south through Black Forest, counter-clockwise lap around Switzerland, then Top Gear route to Stelvio, continue through western Austria and northern Italy, and head back west to meet girlfriend in south of France.

To clarify: I already have the girlfriend and we are meeting up for a great vacation. I'm not driving to France to find a new girlfriend

Any driving or sightseeing tips would be greatly appreciated. Will do best to post pictures soon!

Alan
Old 05-16-2013, 02:33 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm so excited for you!!! Please take lots of pictures and report back. I'm leaving on Monday to go pick up my car in Zuffenhausen! Patience is gone.

I'll be following your blog .
Old 05-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Mr.Boon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome times ahead! Very jelly! Wish mine was ready already... 30 more days or so. Please post as many pics as you can! Especially of the glass sun roof please
Old 05-16-2013, 04:59 PM
alanjcook
Instructor

Thanks much. Lots of excitement. Grinning like a kid going to Toys R Us to pick out a present before Christmas.

Got a massage to relax (Jasmin Thai. Excellent) and grabbing a quite bite to each (OT Bar Lounge, Spanish tapas, near hotel).

Surprisingly calm. For now it's supposed to rain tomorrow but that won't dampen fun.

Will try to get good pics all around!
Old 05-16-2013, 05:26 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 115 Posts

If you hold your hand up close to this screen, you just may feel the hate oozing towards you!!!

Very nice build and the MT is an absolute blast. (However, before I get castrated I would like to hereby state that PDK is also amazing).

Enjoy the trip and have lots of cash on hand for those French spot fines for speeding.
Lovely part of the world and don't forget to take lots of pics...

PS. You may have a new girlfriend by the time you cross into France!!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:30 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

Enjoy the trip and car, sounds like an amazing itinerary. I have done euro delivery with BMW's, but a 911, man that's as good as it gets! Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2013, 04:50 AM
Mr.Boon
Intermediate

Tic - tac - tic - tac, today is your day maaan wish I was there!
Old 05-17-2013, 08:52 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Euro delivery is great. I did it with my GT3. Stelvio is a great view, the driving is not that great because of all the switchbacks. Surprisingly the best part of the trip is just driving the secondary roads. Of course Switzerland is always fun. Don't forget to get a permit for the Swiss autobahn. They look for tourist plates to issue fines. Have a great time!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 AM
alanjcook
Instructor

Thanks all. Just learned about Swiss permit earlier today. I've scouted a bunch of smaller roads and will update here as I find fun ones. Order came out well except one detail: no deviating stitching on leather steering column. Factory helpful so far but needs to coordinate with dealer on next steps. Here is official factory pic. Ill post my own later

Name:  image-296576126.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  391.8 KB
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice picture, and really nice car!

BTW, Austria also has that toll thing on the highways
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 797 Likes on 547 Posts

Congrats! Very exciting - a bucket list thing to do..
Old 05-17-2013, 11:58 AM
kes7u
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

So exciting!!! You look thrilled and I can't blame you! Beautiful car. Can't wait to see more pictures, particularly of the interior. Did you have other deviated stitching that was done correctly?

Enjoy your trip! My Euro delivery in 4 months and 1 day!!! Look forward to your updates.

Kevin
Old 05-17-2013, 12:37 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh my that's a beauty and congrats. Enjoy the trip and look forward to your pictures. Thank you for keeping us updated.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:37 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car! Enjoy the amazing experience.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Gene G
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is Beautiful ! Enjoy your trip and new toy.

Quick Reply: European Delivery Tomorrow