Sponsored by:

2014 cayman s for $91k or carrera?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
Pretty different car from the current 981 models.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the quandary many years ago when looking for my first Porsche - a new Cayman or used 997?

The 911 is a boyhood dream car and someone suggested to me that if I was driving the Cayman and came upon a 911, I would wish I was in the 911. So I bought a used 997!

The Cayman is a great car but a 911 is a Porsche!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 AM
scubadiver637
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhan
I had the quandary many years ago when looking for my first Porsche - a new Cayman or used 997?

The 911 is a boyhood dream car and someone suggested to me that if I was driving the Cayman and came upon a 911, I would wish I was in the 911. So I bought a used 997!

The Cayman is a great car but a 911 is a Porsche!
A truly retarded statement.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:52 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scubadiver637
A truly retarded statement.
I agree. That is so old it's moldy. Don't hear that much anymore at my local PCA gatherings.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeh, you can argue the 991 is a flawed design. But, it's also brilliant. How many other comparable sports cars out there have the sheer versatility and practicality of all that space in the back? You can actually fit 4 adults in a pinch, or on a whim.

BradB, the 991 certainly seems cutting edge when you don't actually have one, but once you get it, well, it is fantastic, and it does everything so well and in such a comfortable manner, but you get used to it all very quickly and just kind of take it as a given.

But then there's that moment when you're back in the 993, and its warm, and the road is open, and there's just something so special and unique about the feel of everything coming together and that big-lunged flat 6 at full tilt. And you don't miss the extra performance. Everything just feels perfect.

The 993 will always be regarded as special (if not appreciating) in 3 - 4 years. And it will always be in the unique "bridge" position in the evolution of the model range in terms of the development. The 991 will already most probably have been superseded by Gen-II with more hp, and more goodies and a modified light design that somehow looks more appealing...

But hell, I don't know about you, but every time I drive the 993 I do for some reason treat it as an old car and always expect something may "fall off", or imagine another vibration, or look warily at the oil-level indicator (which never seems to work all the time on mine). Although nothing ever does fall-off, and volumes can be written about the robustness of the motor.

With the new one, everything smells nice, and works, and goes, easily, and smoothly, and the perfomance is on a different level (as it should be given the inevitable march of progress)... 2 very different beasts. With certain similarities of course.

But I think you will indeed regret selling the 993 down the road. (Although I guess you could always buy another one). Pretty convoluted post on my part. Guess no easy decision if having both is not an easy option.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:00 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Theodor,
I totally agree with your post. And I am definitely looking for a way to hang on to the 993 and afford a 991. That would be the perfect scenario for me.

Depreciation on 2012 991's has been significant. I wonder how much more of a discount I can expect by waiting another year? Perhaps when the 2014's start coming out. Or maybe they are already out, I am not sure.

This is TORTURE.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:11 PM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
Theodor,
I totally agree with your post. And I am definitely looking for a way to hang on to the 993 and afford a 991. That would be the perfect scenario for me.

Depreciation on 2012 991's has been significant. I wonder how much more of a discount I can expect by waiting another year? Perhaps when the 2014's start coming out. Or maybe they are already out, I am not sure.

This is TORTURE.
2014 models are being deliverd now. They've been building the 2014s since june if I'm correct.

Suzy991
Old 08-09-2013, 10:42 PM
tangram
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was a 2014 but a May build
Old 08-09-2013, 11:13 PM
rhyde
8th Gear

My opinion is that chances are that if you are buying a Porsche (especially for the first time), you are buying the icon; the image; the gestalt of owning a Porsche. If so, you should go with the 911. You will never be happy, deep down, with anything less. Buying a Boxter or Cayman is almost like telling the world that life just hasn't worked out for you quite as well for you as you would have liked.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rhyde
My opinion is that chances are that if you are buying a Porsche (especially for the first time), you are buying the icon; the image; the gestalt of owning a Porsche. If so, you should go with the 911. You will never be happy, deep down, with anything less. Buying a Boxter or Cayman is almost like telling the world that life just hasn't worked out for you quite as well for you as you would have liked.
That would be if you were focused on what other people think. On the other hand, if you're buying the car for your own satisfaction, and it is the vehicle you enjoy the most, you will continue to be very satisfied.
Sheesh, I can't believe, honestly, that you actually are admitting that you buy cars according to what you believe other people think.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:59 PM
scubadiver637
Advanced

I couldn't disagree with you more sir. Thankfully, God has been kind to me and I am in a fiscal position to buy the entire 991 lineup but I much prefer to buy the Cayman S for the sheer driving enjoyment over the 991. Don't judge a book by its cover.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 AM
scubadiver637
Advanced

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I couldn't give a rat's behind what other people think of what car model I drive.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:21 AM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Buying a Boxter or Cayman is almost like telling the world that life just hasn't worked out for you quite as well for you as you would have liked.
...or, perhaps, that you are buying based on the performance value of the car, rather than on image or impact on your sense of self-worth?
Old 08-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

In my case, it means that I walked into the dealership ready to write a check for a 991 but concluded the 981S was just as good for my needs/wants, and in some ways better. A 991 does send a message of affluence: it says you have so much cash you don't mind making what amounts to a $20,000 charitable contribution to Porsche's gross margins in exchange for 2 seats and 3 dashboard gauges.

Ironically enough, I took the $20K I saved and put it into TSLA, and it has pretty much paid for the 981S.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Suzy991
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buying a Boxter or Cayman is almost like telling the world that life just hasn't worked out for you quite as well for you as you would have liked.
That clearly is BS! It says more about you than about the cars....

A 911 is an icon and if you're dreaming about owning that icon for what it is (not what other people think about it) than it's fine to buy a 911. That's why I have ordered one too. I don't give a sh*t what other people think. If they're talking behind my back, they're in exact the right place to kiss my ...

Since I don't give a sh*t about what other people think, I also bought myself a Boxster S and that car is more fun than a 911. If one didn't always dream about owning a 911 one day, but just wants a great sportscar that is fun to drive, the Boxster/Cayman is the right car to buy and you save yourself a big amount of money.
At the base, the 981 is just a better platform and it's developed with only one thing in mind... Having fun! That's what you get with the 981... Lots of fun.
As a daily driver the 991 is just better, since it has grown into a sportscar/GT and offers more comfort and more performance, but less fun.

Both are great cars and you can't go wrong with either one!

Regarding the the TSLA... That came at the right time!! Love it!

Suzy991

Quick Reply: 2014 cayman s for $91k or carrera?