Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deal on Base 991 Closeouts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 01:45 PM
carsrmyvice
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you should basically call on all the low msrp base 991's since no dealer is going to advertise that they want to move old stock for a discount. People walk in and pay full ride all the time. I will keep my eye open for ya though.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Remember that markup from Invoice to MSRP on Porsche is about 10%. In 2012 there were factory incentives, i.e. "trunk money," on leftover cars that started out around $3K and allegedly went up to around $6K. Haven't heard of anything like that yet on 2013's, if it happens it will probably not be until October.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Crabman141
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if your a cash buyer you might be able to get real close if not under 80k, being it's getting towards the end of the year. If your financing ..... I don't think it's going to happen. Good luck, I'm routing for you.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:48 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crabman141
I think if your a cash buyer you might be able to get real close if not under 80k, being it's getting towards the end of the year. If your financing ..... I don't think it's going to happen. Good luck, I'm routing for you.
No dealer is going to sell a car under invoice, i.e. lose money, see the 10% rule in my last post. As far as cash/finance goes, a dealer doesn't care how they are paid, in fact they would prefer you finance through one of their sources so they get a cut of that too.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:11 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mtbscott
No dealer is going to sell a car under invoice, i.e. lose money, see the 10% rule in my last post. As far as cash/finance goes, a dealer doesn't care how they are paid, in fact they would prefer you finance through one of their sources so they get a cut of that too.
Normally true, but my dealer did just that when a customer defaulted on a loaded C2S in Lime Gold with Expresso interior.
Yeeech!

The car was getting severe lot rash so most of the $10K deposit went with the already heavily discounted ($9%) car.

Not the car for me, but I guess for $8K you could always paint the pooch.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 PM
Crabman141
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't some dealers still pay cash for there inventory or take on a larger amount of inventory to get a bigger discount from Porsche ? Or am I out in left field.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:37 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crabman141
Don't some dealers still pay cash for there inventory or take on a larger amount of inventory to get a bigger discount from Porsche ? Or am I out in left field.
No modern car dealer pays cash for their inventory, they "floor plan" it through a bank. It's in their best interest to keep 'em moving, but they can float them along for quite a while before getting desparate. Can't say for absolute certain, but usually future allotments are based on past/current sales. A given dealer can't just order as many cars as they want, and doesn't get a discount for buying more. Never noticed that bigger volume dealers get more of the "good stuff" like GT models, etc?
"Holdback" is common for domestic, Japanese, and a few Euro brands, but Porsche, BMW, and Audi, to name a few, don't have any kickbacks like that. BMW does give rebates of sorts to their dealers that achieve high marks in CSR (customer service results), but it has to be earned and is not a given. Don't know if Porsche has anything like this.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:41 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
Normally true, but my dealer did just that when a customer defaulted on a loaded C2S in Lime Gold with Expresso interior.
Yeeech!

The car was getting severe lot rash so most of the $10K deposit went with the already heavily discounted ($9%) car.

Not the car for me, but I guess for $8K you could always paint the pooch.

But your dealer didn't lose money on that. They used a deposit a customer gave them to subsidize their cost. I'll go out on a limb here and say no dealer EVER loses money on a sale, you don't stay in business long doing that.
As far as your Lime Gold car, I have a similar story here at my dealer. A couple years back a longtime salesman there ordered a particularly heavily optioned Macadamia Brown Panamera Turbo for a repeat customer without deposit (which aren't really non-refundable in Texas, but that's a different story). When it came in, the customer took one look at it and walked. The salesman lost his job when the car lingered for months before finally being unloaded.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:53 PM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

Hehe, the sales manger explained he normally get a $1-$5k deposit on "normal" orders, but made an exception for this combo......................$10ks. I understand.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chiboy
Thanks, I will do that!
I spoke with Alfie yesterday, but he was more concerned with the dealership making a profit Than in me fulfilling my car dreams. LOL
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but are there ever cars that a dealer just doesn't sell? What happens to them?
Old 07-31-2013, 09:05 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by jlanka
Pardon my ignorance but are there ever cars that a dealer just doesn't sell? What happens to them?
I've seen "new" 2012s, but with only 3 years left on warrantee. How much discount vs. new 2013 would you require to buy a new 2012? Assume you plan to keep the car for 6 years+.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:44 AM
MerlinsGarage
Burning Brakes

If you purchase a vehicle "new" from the dealer, thats generally when the warranty starts.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:49 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I saw a "new" 2012 C4S with 100 miles on it -- granted it is a 997 -- that was about 20 percent off sticker and they certified the car, too, so the warranty is really 5 years 100k miles.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by MerlinsGarage
If you purchase a vehicle "new" from the dealer, thats generally when the warranty starts.
According to the salesman, if you have a leftover, Porsche makes you start the warranty when the new ones arrive. I don't know if that's true. But that's what he said.

Quick Reply: Deal on Base 991 Closeouts?