Sponsored by:

To Tint... or Not to Tint...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:36 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Tint... or Not to Tint...

Well it's been a week since I ordered my car, and I must say... waiting sucks!!

Anyway, reading a few posts regarding car protection made me think...

"To Tint... or NOT to Tint."

I have always been extremely hesitant to tint any of my past vehicles due to the simple fact that they always seem to bubble and peel... eventually.

So my question is actually in two parts:

1. Thoughts on tinting vs. not tinting
2. If I decide to tint, who makes the best tint with a lifetime guarantee and are there any reputable tint companies in the DC area?

Any opinions and info would be much appreciated.

Thanks!!
Old 10-19-2013, 04:21 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Given I live in southern Cal, and I don't want to get bbq'd by the Sun, I tinted all if my windows on my 991. Plus I like the look. I don't know about the shops in DC, but there are great shops out there, like the one I went to here in southern Cal. No issues at all, and result was exactly what I wanted.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:24 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Ill try and remember which tints I used - but it was an advanced ceramic on the windshield - great heat and UV rejection without a dark windshield. If I remember more details ill post them.

The shop I went to is Sigature Glass Tinting in Costa Mesa CA. I'm sure they'd be willing to talk with you even if you're not local -they're really good ppl.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:49 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Any reputable tint shop will use the top of the line film and install it properly.

However, here in Cali the law states that you must have at least 2 rear view mirrors. And since window tint is considered the same as black out paint, you can only tint your rear windows, and that is only if you have 2 outside mirrors. Most people can get away with it, but some counties are harsher than others. So look up your laws before tinting all windows.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:22 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

As rglbegl said, you may want to start with finding out what you can easily get away with in terms of tinting in the DC area. Here in southern Cal, it seems to be fairly loose. I had a minor skin cancer some years ago and when I mentioned that in the tint shop, and they indicated I could get a note from my Dr indicating the prior skin cancer and basically go as dark as I wanted. Interesting, didn't know that.

Anyway, I didn't want gangsta dark anyway, just medium - so I'm happy with what I decided to put in.

This is what I used on the front windshield : Llumar Air-80

It's a ceramic film. Basically you can hardly even tell the windshield is tinted it's that light, but good heat/IR/UV rejection.

Air80 - 43% Heat rejection

Air80 - 11% IR transmission

Air80 - 99.9 % U.V protection

For all of the rest of the windows, I can't recall what choice I made - but I went with 30% light transmission, which at least to me, looks pretty middle of the road in terms of "darkness".

Basically, I went with as top of the line films as they carried, which is probably a smart thing to do, unless you know a heck of a lot about tint films. Your Porsche dealer might be able to recommend a good shop that they send cars to. If not, go to your local Ferrari or Lambo dealer and ask them. But be sure they actually send cars there, and haven't just "heard of a place". If you end up at a good shop, you shouldn't have any problems with bubbles and all of that. Any shop you do end up with should guarantee to replace your films for free if bubbles ever appear. If they won't, probably a good sign you should go elsewhere.

Hope this has been of at least a little bit of help

Have a great weekend.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:11 PM
pyramid
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only considered within top 3 (platinum series only for evolution brand),

VLT = Visible Light Transmition - (how visible from inside looking outside)
UVR = Ultra Violet Rejected
IRR = Infra Red Rejected
TSER = Total Solar Enery Rejected
Old 10-19-2013, 11:15 PM
jpit11
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

'Nuff said...
Old 10-20-2013, 10:19 AM
LonnieR
Addict
Rennlist Member

In So. Fla. tinting is a must. All my cars are tinted. I also like the privacy that you get with tinted windows.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:21 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

The other day, it was dusk or a little after. I was waiting to make a left and almost didn't notice an idiot with his lights off. The tint definitely hindered that.

I still like my tint (40) but be careful.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:35 PM
FlyScotty71
Intermediate

Thanks for the info so far.

I think I would go with 75 on the front and either 35 or 45 on the sides and rear.

Also, I think I found a good tinter close to the Washington DC area.

Anyone heard of, or dealt with "Absolute Perfection" window tinting in Sykesville, MD.?
Old 10-20-2013, 02:41 PM
rglbegl
Racer

So i talked to the local PD here.
They say if you have rear facing cameras and a good reason (Like skin cancer) you can tint every window. This keeps your rear view the law requires, and with a DR.s note you can tint everything.

They also mentioned that 75% on the front windows usually gets by, but a 5% on the front will get you pulled over.

Personally, I just black out the back windows for the kids.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:52 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 35% tint on the side and rear windows and I think (especially with the glass roof) it enhances the "look" of the car. I think it will similarly complement your black wheels very nicely.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 PM
rglbegl
Racer

Just peeled off my old tint and am having my guy come by soon to re tint everything.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in the minority I guess in that I've never tinted any of my cars. I always wear dark sunglasses during daylight hours, but want to be able to see as much as possible in nighttime conditions. Safety over aesthetics.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tinted sides and back, but put a clear ceramic film on the inside of the windshield to block UV and reduce heat.

Quick Reply: To Tint... or Not to Tint...