Sponsored by:

Saw my first C7 today

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 09:58 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Thanks for the photos. Would never have believed the 991 is so much better but seeing is believing. The C7 interior looks incredible cheap and flimsy. Just the steering wheel alone, materials and fit, integration of controls, amateur hour. On the outside, again never would have believed but even in car show snapshots its clear the 991 has much better quality paint. Look at the fit of the panels. The 991 door gaps almost disappear. Fit on the C7 varies, so much so that look at the 5th photo, the right rear wheel, the rear panel where it joins the fender panel sticks out a good couple millimeters! On a show car!!! Imagine the crap the average buyer gets!

You are right. At twice the price its no contest. The C7 ain't worth a tenth of a 991. Anyone looking at these two cars and not getting it, well as Mr T would say, "I pity da fool."

You really are that ignorant huh? The picture of the C7 above had direct sunlight on it and a **** poor picture. I've seen a number of C7 interiors and the interior is just as nice (if not better than a 991). The carbon fire dashboard is real CF (Porsche doesn't offer it); the aluminum is not some bull**** crap that Porsche sticks in their cars (I had two 997 version Porsches and it's fake). The electronics in the C7 are far above what Porsche offers.

I have owned four modern day Porsches ('03 996TT, '05 997S, '06 CaymanS and '07997TT) and there isn't a one of them worth anywhere near their MSRP. The 996 TT I owned had an MSRP of $128K and it was an $80k car AT BEST. The 997 TT I owned had an MSRP of $135K and it was an $85K car AT BEST. The 996 interior was abysmal. The 997TT temp control and radio buttons had lettering that was worn off after three years. The base 997 interior (an $80K+ car) has a rubber dashboard and has the power of a $40K BMW 335. Actually, the 335 kicks the 997's *** in performance and is on par with it on interior and fit/finish.

I just find it comical as hell those of you that wonder why this 911 version is compared to a Corvette. Uhmmmm- they have been compared to each other for decades in case you haven't noticed (perhaps you were at the symphony and weren't paying attention ). ,,,,,,or were too busy measuring panel gaps.

If ever they SHOULD be compared.... it is now.
Attached Images  
Old 12-01-2013, 10:47 PM
kitwetzler
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by amerlemans
You really are that ignorant huh? The picture of the C7 above had direct sunlight on it and a **** poor picture. I've seen a number of C7 interiors and the interior is just as nice (if not better than a 991). The carbon fire dashboard is real CF (Porsche doesn't offer it); the aluminum is not some bull**** crap that Porsche sticks in their cars (I had two 997 version Porsches and it's fake). The electronics in the C7 are far above what Porsche offers.

I have owned four modern day Porsches ('03 996TT, '05 997S, '06 CaymanS and '07997TT) and there isn't a one of them worth anywhere near their MSRP. The 996 TT I owned had an MSRP of $128K and it was an $80k car AT BEST. The 997 TT I owned had an MSRP of $135K and it was an $85K car AT BEST. The 996 interior was abysmal. The 997TT temp control and radio buttons had lettering that was worn off after three years. The base 997 interior (an $80K+ car) has a rubber dashboard and has the power of a $40K BMW 335. Actually, the 335 kicks the 997's *** in performance and is on par with it on interior and fit/finish.

I just find it comical as hell those of you that wonder why this 911 version is compared to a Corvette. Uhmmmm- they have been compared to each other for decades in case you haven't noticed (perhaps you were at the symphony and weren't paying attention ). ,,,,,,or were too busy measuring panel gaps.

If ever they SHOULD be compared.... it is now.
err.

None of those are modern Porsches. Sorry. Compare a 991 with a C7, (despite the 991 being almost nearly 3 years older)

PCM 3.1 is decidedly better than the C7's navigation/ICE system. I've owned both cars.

C7 - Graphics are clunky, takes two clicks to get back to the map, menu button either brings up the lower menu or the submenu, it's hard to tell what, no way to enter way points, slow and clunky recalculations. the iPod interfaces is lousy at best, hard to select playlists (takes multiple clicks) hard to toggle shuffle, hard to switch sources, etc.

The c7's build quality is not great. There are huge gaps on the door panels, the door panels are flimsy and flexy and the door handles squeak and flex. The stitching and leather materials are nice, but the line are crooked (Porsche would never let that poor of build quality leave the factory.) The plastics are cheap, the base dash material is horrible plastic with flashings and seams still visible and scratch if you fart near them.

I know you're just trolling for attention and I bought it hook line and sinker, but hopefully for the rest of the level headed people here who haven't owned both cars...

For the price, the C7 is a great car, but it's clearly built to a much lower price point than the 991. Even after I bought the c7, I sold it to stay in a 991.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, that was a very angry response. Well, I'm a Porsche owner (4 911's) who happens to actually like the new corvette. I saw a white one and thought it was pretty nice. However, this is a Porsche site and as such will be biased. I like the new corvette but I wouldn't buy it at 1/2 the price of my 911/50. It doesn't make a difference to me that it's faster or cheaper. There are lots of cars faster than my 911. That's not why I bought it. I just love the lines of a 911 and think it's special. The new corvette is a very nice car but to me it's not special. I still don't think 911 and corvette buyers cross shop. If I was going to leave a 911 it would be for the new Jag and not the corvette. Having said that, thumbs up to any new vette owner because I'm sure you will love your car and rightly so. Some like chocolate and some like vanilla. No right or wrong but why get angry?
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The picture of the C7 above had direct sunlight on it and a **** poor picture.
I just find it comical as hell those of you that wonder why this 911 version is compared to a Corvette.
Yeah, I'm sure it was the sunlight that made the fender fit so poorly it sticks out.

Nobody here wonders about why the Corvette keeps getting compared to the 911. That's just the way it works when you are the gold standard.
kitwetzler
Racer

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
You mention "...I have never considered a corvette before" then go on to say "My C7...". I'm confused. So you own a C7?

What's exactly "glorious" about it? Please enlighten me.
Hm, I guess you skimmed my post. Had a 991 C2S PDK coupe. I bought a C7 and sold it already. Now own a 2013 C4S cab.

The motor has a ton more useable power, better throttle response, and is clearly faster. (compare manual vs manual acceleration numbers and 1/4 mile trap speeds). It sounds great, if you are into 'MURICAN cars (actually, it sounds more AMG than small block to me). The performance exhaust on the C7 is just as quiet in the quiet mode and is louder open, I much prefer the volume delta vs PSE (although, I admit, I love PSE now, too... just needs a touch more volume.)
Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bacura
Wow, that was a very angry response. Well, I'm a Porsche owner (4 911's) who happens to actually like the new corvette. I saw a white one and thought it was pretty nice. However, this is a Porsche site and as such will be biased. I like the new corvette but I wouldn't buy it at 1/2 the price of my 911/50. It doesn't make a difference to me that it's faster or cheaper. There are lots of cars faster than my 911. That's not why I bought it. I just love the lines of a 911 and think it's special. The new corvette is a very nice car but to me it's not special. I still don't think 911 and corvette buyers cross shop. If I was going to leave a 911 it would be for the new Jag and not the corvette. Having said that, thumbs up to any new vette owner because I'm sure you will love your car and rightly so. Some like chocolate and some like vanilla. No right or wrong but why get angry?
Not angry at all. Posts like yours are ones I have no issue with. You like the styling and lines of the 911. Great reason irrespective of price or performance as far as I am concerned. I have to love the styling of my car. I find the Corvette more stylish than the 911 (I sold my 996TT for a C6Z06). The Jag F type is a fantastic looking car. I'm not a big fan of verts but now that the coupe is coming out, I will give it a look.

I am no Porsche hater (although the new 991 is so grossly overpriced) and think they are great cars. I just despise some of their owners who think they are driving a Pagani for Christsake and turn their nose up at anything non Porsche. I give the Vette and M car guys that think in the same fashion the same **** I give out here.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:26 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
err.

None of those are modern Porsches. Sorry. Compare a 991 with a C7, (despite the 991 being almost nearly 3 years older)

PCM 3.1 is decidedly better than the C7's navigation/ICE system. I've owned both cars.

C7 - Graphics are clunky, takes two clicks to get back to the map, menu button either brings up the lower menu or the submenu, it's hard to tell what, no way to enter way points, slow and clunky recalculations. the iPod interfaces is lousy at best, hard to select playlists (takes multiple clicks) hard to toggle shuffle, hard to switch sources, etc.

The c7's build quality is not great. There are huge gaps on the door panels, the door panels are flimsy and flexy and the door handles squeak and flex. The stitching and leather materials are nice, but the line are crooked (Porsche would never let that poor of build quality leave the factory.) The plastics are cheap, the base dash material is horrible plastic with flashings and seams still visible and scratch if you fart near them.

I know you're just trolling for attention and I bought it hook line and sinker, but hopefully for the rest of the level headed people here who haven't owned both cars...

For the price, the C7 is a great car, but it's clearly built to a much lower price point than the 991. Even after I bought the c7, I sold it to stay in a 991.
I'm trolling huh? Been a member since '06 and have owned countless Porsches. Wise up man.

The QC issues are well documented on the C7. In comparison, I have also read countless various issues/problems with the 991 on this very forum. I agree that paint runs like some have seen on the C7 would never leave the Porsche factory like that. I've owned Porsches and the paint quality has been very good (I have said as much on the Corvette forum). The build quality (panel alignment, etc,) is better in the Porsche as well.

Having said that, please tell me, at what price point do you get a real carbon fiber dash and leather dash in a 991? You get both in a $60K C7. The leather in a $100k+ 991 is no better than what is found in a C7. The seats are no better. The performance is no better. So where is the $50k delta?.....the Porsche crest on the hood? the better aligned panels? the comfort in parking the 911 at the symphony in front of your snooty friends? Don't mean to keep bringing up "the Symphony" but I just laughed out loud at the other Porsche guy that mentioned it. The Symphony? really?

As far as sqweeks and rattles go....sorry man, my 997S and 997 Turbo were the biggest rattle traps of any car I have ever owned. None of my C6 Vettes had even the slightest hint of a rattle nor does my GTR.

Last edited by amerlemans; 12-01-2013 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:26 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 997.2 had almost no rattles at all and I had it for 5 years. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience(s). Also, although I consider myself educated I don't particularly enjoy the symphony. I also don't consider myself snotty. Generalizing is not a good trait. I want to comment about price point. Again, I'm not being snooty but price point did not play a part in my decision. I chose ,in my opinion, the better car.....not the better car/dollar. A Rolex can be 20 times the cost of some other very decent watches that keep better or equal time but never-the-less I chose a Rolex. It's not just the speed or horsepower or handling or price point. It's the whole package and how it makes you feel. I know there are many very happy corvette owners. I'd even go so far to say that I'll bet GM improves the paint and panel issues in the corvette that may be due to early production problems. There are so many examples. How do you justify a $1000 bottle of wine. Is it 10 times as good as a $100 bottle? I doubt it but if you can afford it and enjoy it then who is to judge. A Corvette costs less but if it doesn't do it for you then it might as well just be free. As well, I don't question Ferrari California buyers who paid double what I paid for my 911/50. They want a Ferrari and don't care about a 911 being a better value. They are happy so why even bother with a comparison at all? Bottom line.....enjoy your new corvette for many years and we can each give each other a thumbs up at the next stop light we meet each other at.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:03 AM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Okay, this thread has gone from an off-topic apples to oranges comparison, to wacky (in an entertaining way), to toxic. If I may be so bold as to suggest, let's let the Chevy devotees entertain themselves here and the rest of us leave it be. Endless debate that'll have no conclusion and only seems to be getting people upset unnecessarily. Just a thought. In any case, I'll take my own advice and not post on this mind twisting thread anymore.
Old 12-02-2013, 01:06 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I just find it comical as hell .... .
I just read this again and you know what I find comical as hell? That you keep buying cars you know are abysmal and overpriced! Fool me once... but FOUR TIMES?!
Old 12-02-2013, 01:11 AM
kitwetzler
Racer

Having said that, please tell me, at what price point do you get a real carbon fiber dash and leather dash in a 991? You get both in a $60K C7. The leather in a $100k+ 991 is no better than what is found in a C7. The seats are no better. The performance is no better. So where is the $50k delta?.....the Porsche crest on the hood? the better aligned panels? the comfort in parking the 911 at the symphony in front of your snooty friends? Don't mean to keep bringing up "the Symphony" but I just laughed out loud at the other Porsche guy that mentioned it. The Symphony? really?

As far as sqweeks and rattles go....sorry man, my 997S and 997 Turbo were the biggest rattle traps of any car I have ever owned. None of my C6 Vettes had even the slightest hint of a rattle nor does my GTR.
The C7's real carbon fiber dash is $1000. It covers only the instrument panel. Porsche charges $630 for the center console trim and $1770 for the shift **** and interior trim, which is, albeit, more than the Chevy piece covers. Unlike the Chevy, the Porsche doesn't need it. The C7 does! The plastic piece there is horrid, at least on my car, which could have admittedly been an early assembly issue.

My c7 rattled as much as my 991, which was not very much.

The seats on the C7 are not as good as the regular seats or the adaptive sport seats in the 991. My C2S coupe had the 14 way, and my C4S has the *** 18 way. They are amazing, very precise adjustments, flexible bolsters, and very supportive, yet extremely comfortable. I drove the C7 back from San Diego, about 500 miles, and found the seats to be decent and a huge improvement but nowhere near the 991s. The adjustment mechanism is crap, when you move the seat back and forth, it doesn't move exactly in sync so you can feel the seat torque back and forth, there is much more adjustment in the 991. They are a huuuuge improvement over the C6, but not up to par.

I simply like driving the 991 better. Is it worth twice as much? Nah, probably not. To be fair, you wouldn't buy a C7 without Z51 and you don't get the leather dash without 3LT. Mine was $67775. (half the price of my C4S) It's a much more coherent car. I dunno, I'm not sure what your point is, given you own many other cars... Are you really thinking that you are going to convince a bunch of Porsche owners to say, "Ah crap, I guess I really feel stupid now! That "amerlemans" dude is really a smart guy."? If you don't get why a Porsche is more expensive, the Vette is a great car for you. The 991 is a much more coherent and better car in many ways, from refinement, to turn in and steering feel, and I'm much fonder of the flat 6 sound (especially through the ridiculously expensive PSE - Porsche needs to learn from chevy - $1100 for a Sport exhaust that gives 5hp and 5 ft lbs!)

Anyway, again, I don't think I'm going to change the way you feel, and I think that even at $67775, the Vette is a great buy. I just happen to prefer the 911. It's not because of image or badge - The Vette got 10X the attention and people commenting on it. It seemed to be universally liked by most people. the 991 disappears, and I'm happy with that. At these price points, people need to drive what makes them happy and the C7 did not make me happy overall. I'd love to have it's HUD, options cost and power/torque curve in the 991, but I'd still want the 991 as it is a better package. (I've owned 996 cab, 997.2 c2S, 997 turbo, 991 C2S coupe and 991 C4S cab)
Old 12-02-2013, 01:23 AM
spar10
Instructor

my love for the porsche stems from every single element of the aesthetic. what's under the hood is just bonus for me.

this new corvette is freakish looking. it's harsh and doesn't have a graceful or interesting line anywhere in the design. i'm not a corvette hater and i find it's a real shame this is the direction they're going. put a '57 corvette in front of me and i could spend hours admiring and appreciating it. a '72 stingray would be the same thing. there are plenty of beautiful and iconic corvettes in the pedigree.

i think it all comes down to the harsh lines they put everywhere. the beautiful corvettes, like the '57 share an extremely important design element with my beloved carrera... curves.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:17 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

I just read this again and you know what I find comical as hell? That you keep buying cars you know are abysmal and overpriced! Fool me once... but FOUR TIMES?!
Bought each one of them slightly used save for the CaymanS.

Originally Posted by kitwetzler
The C7's real carbon fiber dash is $1000. It covers only the instrument panel. Porsche charges $630 for the center console trim and $1770 for the shift **** and interior trim, which is, albeit, more than the Chevy piece covers. Unlike the Chevy, the Porsche doesn't need it. The C7 does! The plastic piece there is horrid, at least on my car, which could have admittedly been an early assembly issue.

My c7 rattled as much as my 991, which was not very much.

The seats on the C7 are not as good as the regular seats or the adaptive sport seats in the 991. My C2S coupe had the 14 way, and my C4S has the *** 18 way. They are amazing, very precise adjustments, flexible bolsters, and very supportive, yet extremely comfortable. I drove the C7 back from San Diego, about 500 miles, and found the seats to be decent and a huge improvement but nowhere near the 991s. The adjustment mechanism is crap, when you move the seat back and forth, it doesn't move exactly in sync so you can feel the seat torque back and forth, there is much more adjustment in the 991. They are a huuuuge improvement over the C6, but not up to par.

I simply like driving the 991 better. Is it worth twice as much? Nah, probably not. To be fair, you wouldn't buy a C7 without Z51 and you don't get the leather dash without 3LT. Mine was $67775. (half the price of my C4S) It's a much more coherent car. I dunno, I'm not sure what your point is, given you own many other cars... Are you really thinking that you are going to convince a bunch of Porsche owners to say, "Ah crap, I guess I really feel stupid now! That "amerlemans" dude is really a smart guy."? If you don't get why a Porsche is more expensive, the Vette is a great car for you. The 991 is a much more coherent and better car in many ways, from refinement, to turn in and steering feel, and I'm much fonder of the flat 6 sound (especially through the ridiculously expensive PSE - Porsche needs to learn from chevy - $1100 for a Sport exhaust that gives 5hp and 5 ft lbs!)

Anyway, again, I don't think I'm going to change the way you feel, and I think that even at $67775, the Vette is a great buy. I just happen to prefer the 911. It's not because of image or badge - The Vette got 10X the attention and people commenting on it. It seemed to be universally liked by most people. the 991 disappears, and I'm happy with that. At these price points, people need to drive what makes them happy and the C7 did not make me happy overall. I'd love to have it's HUD, options cost and power/torque curve in the 991, but I'd still want the 991 as it is a better package. (I've owned 996 cab, 997.2 c2S, 997 turbo, 991 C2S coupe and 991 C4S cab)
I am not looking or hoping to change anyone's mind and especially so on a Porsche forum of all places. I am just discussing the merits of both cars and stating as to why I feel the C7 should be compared to the 991. I get your point entirely. It's your money and your car and if it's (the 991) what makes you happy then so be it. There are some that are just Porsche guys and some that are purely Vette guys. I guess I am a mongrel as I like all of them and then some (Jag, Ferrari, AMG, M cars, et al).

Just a point of clarification..the leather dash comes on all of the c7 Vettes. These cars will be selling at invoice once the novelty wears off. The price point for the car you had will be about $62K by mid summer.

I really do not want the attention that a C7 brings RIGHT NOW (it will wear off soon enough) as I have that with my GTR and it gets tiresome. The only reason the GTR still gets it is because sales have not happened at the pace originally projected and there aren't that many of them out there.

Enjoy the C4S!

Originally Posted by spar10
my love for the porsche stems from every single element of the aesthetic. what's under the hood is just bonus for me.

this new corvette is freakish looking. it's harsh and doesn't have a graceful or interesting line anywhere in the design. i'm not a corvette hater and i find it's a real shame this is the direction they're going. put a '57 corvette in front of me and i could spend hours admiring and appreciating it. a '72 stingray would be the same thing. there are plenty of beautiful and iconic corvettes in the pedigree.

i think it all comes down to the harsh lines they put everywhere. the beautiful corvettes, like the '57 share an extremely important design element with my beloved carrera... curves.
Cool. I am a sucker for the 993 widebody 911 and the '67 Vette. I was not a fan of the old Sting Ray which started in '68.

Originally Posted by Bacura
My 997.2 had almost no rattles at all and I had it for 5 years. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience(s). Also, although I consider myself educated I don't particularly enjoy the symphony. I also don't consider myself snotty. Generalizing is not a good trait. I want to comment about price point. Again, I'm not being snooty but price point did not play a part in my decision. I chose ,in my opinion, the better car.....not the better car/dollar. A Rolex can be 20 times the cost of some other very decent watches that keep better or equal time but never-the-less I chose a Rolex. It's not just the speed or horsepower or handling or price point. It's the whole package and how it makes you feel. I know there are many very happy corvette owners. I'd even go so far to say that I'll bet GM improves the paint and panel issues in the corvette that may be due to early production problems. There are so many examples. How do you justify a $1000 bottle of wine. Is it 10 times as good as a $100 bottle? I doubt it but if you can afford it and enjoy it then who is to judge. A Corvette costs less but if it doesn't do it for you then it might as well just be free. As well, I don't question Ferrari California buyers who paid double what I paid for my 911/50. They want a Ferrari and don't care about a 911 being a better value. They are happy so why even bother with a comparison at all? Bottom line.....enjoy your new corvette for many years and we can each give each other a thumbs up at the next stop light we meet each other at.
Don't get me wrong, none of the Porsche's I've owned ever gave me any mechanical trouble just the two that I mentioned had dashboard rattles. I would not say it was a bad experience. In any event, nice post; I agree with you.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:51 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Just a point of clarification..the leather dash comes on all of the c7 Vettes. These cars will be selling at invoice once the novelty wears off. The price point for the car you had will be about $62K by mid summer.
I don't think the leather dash comes on all C7 Vettes. You know far more about them than me, but I have been to Chevy's website and also seen several at the local dealer. I think you have to get the 3LT or whatever they call it option to get the leather dash. I think the standard trim and 2LT comes with a vinyl dash. It is very nice, high quality vinyl with stitching that makes it look like leather, but pretty sure it is not.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:29 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I was going to say something like that, too, but I had to admit I respect someone who drives a Turbo enough to wear the lettering off the controls. He's doing something right.

Quick Reply: Saw my first C7 today