Sponsored by:

Saw my first C7 today

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks.
Had some fun today. Bob (Hammer911) was in Seattle with his son Bobby. Tried getting him to meet at Park Place so we could check out some Corvettes but he insisted on Barrier Porsche. (I did check their on-line inventory just in case, but just as I feared their selection is limited to Porsches.) We all saw the new Rhodium Silver for the first time, not all that impressed. Maybe overcast NW fall skies is not its favorite lighting. Also got first looks at the new Executive Panamera Stretch Limo. Bob looks to be about six feet, but he sat in back with plenty of room, both leg room and elbow clearance with the mini-bar/espresso/croissant-maker center console. We walked over to their pre-owned lot, where we saw a very low miles Turbo S, and something with a Ferrari badge and seats stitched up to look like a couple of great big driving gloves, and another thing with some other badge, Bent something or other. But alas, still no Corvettes.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:28 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Easy to see why some people will prefer the looks to a 991.
It's okay if you are into a futuristic Trans-Amie like look. But not for me.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:29 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by CaliforniaZombie
Very well said Chuck and I hope you're having a terrific birthday.

I'm a first generation American, and I have to say the US has a lot to learn about excellence as that term relates to cars. Low tech hunks of cheapo plastic interiors and ill fitting body panels that require and aircraft carrier sized engine to supply any power.

I take no pride in saying that. And I'm not going to listen to any lectures about patriotism. I love my country, and I'm embarrassed that produce such hunks of crap on wheels. We can send men to the moon, advanced explorers to Mars, yet apparently we are content to comtonue to design and build crap cars. The best of which can go fast in a straight line. Forget about corners, unless you'd like a trip into the weeds.

And this mode of thinking dates all the way back to Henry Ford - cheap *** cars for the masses. Unforuntely devoid of any sense of excellence in any area. And that way of being has continued ever since. Cars in Europe where born of a different mindset, where cost wasn't the key thing, and excellence was. Cars in Europe where largely for the upper class and those customers expected a lot - even way back when. And their mindset has lasted too - where Porsche and Mercedes design, engineer, and build outstanding vehicles.

Again if anyone would like to call me unpatriotic, I'd respond with being able to recognize and admit our flaws is the most patriotic thing of all. Sticking your head in the sand pretending the world isn't the way it really is - is just ignorance.

Ok ill step off my soap box now. It's time for new car companies in the US to show the lazy three that there's a better way.
Totally agree and it drives me nuts that we're so good at so many other things but when it comes to cars even upstarts like Hyundai put us to shame. I seriously doubt the US will ever be home to a large scale manufacturer of cars on the level of say BMW, never mind Porsche. But if there is to be any chance at all it sure isn't going to come from being ignorant of what constitutes good design, or being too nice to say so if we do. "Recognize and admit" has never been politically correct but it sure is patriotic.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:31 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Sorry guys, not getting it. What I see in the C7 is a miss-mash of edges, swoops, cutouts, intakes, kind of thing kids would sketch on pee-chees back when kids still used pee-chees. I mean it is almost comical. No, scratch that, it IS comical! Just the hood alone has panels going in SIX different directions, PLUS a great big ugly vent, with a couple extra angles thrown in around it for whatever reason.
Ahh, I should have read more than two posts. In post #3, I found what I really wanted to say ^^^.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. It sure is unpopular to state the obvious - that American cars largely suck, when compared to Europe, namely Porsche/Audi/Mercedes. I work as a computer chip architect/designer, and what the US auto industry needs is a taste of the Silicon Valley mind set - where talented people have the audacity to believe they can do somthing better than whomever the giants of the day are - Intel, IBM, whomever. And sometimes they fail and sometimes they succeed. The audacious mindset continues through failure. That's exactly how the US has become the focal point of world wide semiconductors. Yes, we may not manufacture much these days, but you'd better believe the bright ideas, innovation, and chip architectures come from here.

There's no reason the same thing can't happen to the US auto industry. As much as I think electric cars isn't going to be the future, I'm really cheering on Tesla and the success they're having. Secretly hoping more auto up-starts appear. The big three dinasours clearly need to go.

I remember a presentation by GM I attended years ago. The president or someone close to the top opened his speech by "GM is so much more than a car company...." and basically didn't mention automobiles from that point on. I distinctly remember thinking, upon the conclusion of that talk, no wonder these people make such POS cars. They've utterly forgotten they *are* an automobile company.

Totally agree and it drives me nuts that we're so good at so many other things but when it comes to cars even upstarts like Hyundai put us to shame. I seriously doubt the US will ever be home to a large scale manufacturer of cars on the level of say BMW, never mind Porsche. But if there is to be any chance at all it sure isn't going to come from being ignorant of what constitutes good design, or being too nice to say so if we do. "Recognize and admit" has never been politically correct but it sure is patriotic.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 119 Posts

Saw it today.
A sad sight as they missed the "timeless" mark by about a mile.

Yes, Porsche's do have their fair share of issues and the 996 was no means a "beauty", BUT the designers do keep revamping an iconic shape, which in itself is a unbelievable feat.

I sincerely believe C7 will look dated in 5 years...
Old 11-09-2013, 08:25 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

""I'm a first generation American, and I have to say the US has a lot to learn about excellence as that term relates to cars. Low tech hunks of cheapo plastic interiors and ill fitting body panels that require and aircraft carrier sized engine to supply any power.

I take no pride in saying that. And I'm not going to listen to any lectures about patriotism. I love my country, and I'm embarrassed that produce such hunks of crap on wheels. We can send men to the moon, advanced explorers to Mars, yet apparently we are content to comtonue to design and build crap cars. The best of which can go fast in a straight line. Forget about corners, unless you'd like a trip into the weeds. "
"

Zombie.

True dat. Although we never would have made it to the moon without that fellow named Wernher Von Braun.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:04 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
I went and sat in a new 'Vette the other day. Doing so was a truly life-changing event - it aroused a massive visceral response that will forever alter the way I view performance cars in general, and American-built muscle cars in particular.

....as a result, yesterday I bought a C2S.

Should of sat in a Boss.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by duxsi

I sincerely believe C7 will look dated in 5 years...
Dux, the C7 looked dated 5 minutes after the 9 year old who grew up to be head of the 170-person C7 design committee first drew it on the door of his mom's refrigerator.

Zombie makes a great point. In fact Honda has a design center in Silicon Valley. So its not like America lacks capable individuals. The problem is a sclerotic corporate culture that he has pegged. When the head of the car company is afraid to say he's head of the car company, stick a fork in it, its done.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:06 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep. It sure is unpopular to state the obvious - that American cars largely suck, when compared to Europe, namely Porsche/Audi/Mercedes. I work as a computer chip architect/designer, and what the US auto industry needs is a taste of the Silicon Valley mind set - where talented people have the audacity to believe they can do somthing better than whomever the giants of the day are - Intel, IBM, whomever. And sometimes they fail and sometimes they succeed. The audacious mindset continues through failure. That's exactly how the US has become the focal point of world wide semiconductors. Yes, we may not manufacture much these days, but you'd better believe the bright ideas, innovation, and chip architectures come from here.

There's no reason the same thing can't happen to the US auto industry. As much as I think electric cars isn't going to be the future, I'm really cheering on Tesla and the success they're having. Secretly hoping more auto up-starts appear. The big three dinasours clearly need to go.

I remember a presentation by GM I attended years ago. The president or someone close to the top opened his speech by "GM is so much more than a car company...." and basically didn't mention automobiles from that point on. I distinctly remember thinking, upon the conclusion of that talk, no wonder these people make such POS cars. They've utterly forgotten they *are* an automobile company.
I don't know Chuck, my last rental was a 2013 BMW 328i (2 weeks and daily driving). What a pile of **** that car is. I would never buy a modern BMW after that dreadful and boring car experience. Ultimate Driving Machine my ***.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Should of sat in a Boss.
Been there, done that, got the tickets - 20 years ago.

I looked briefly at the Cobra....660+ hp is enticing, but I just can't get excited about anything without independent rear suspension.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Dr. No
Race Director

Received 403 Likes on 302 Posts

Dux, the C7 looked dated 5 minutes after the 9 year old who grew up to be head of the 170-person C7 design committee first drew it on the door of his mom's refrigerator.
Whatever you think of the car, that's funny.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:15 PM
CaliforniaZombie
Instructor

You're absolutely right. Given that both of my parents are from Europe - my dad reminded me of the fact you point out below a couple times a day, or so it seemed anyway so I'm stunned that I've managed to block that fact from my memory.

Maybe it's time for me to pick up a pair if those old man pants pulled up to my sternum after all. ya, not gonna happen

Originally Posted by MarcusG
[I]""

Zombie.

True dat. Although we never would have made it to the moon without that fellow named Wernher Von Braun.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:44 PM
adamsclubs
Advanced

The above post from "AdamsClubs" makes little sense to me. I highly doubt Porsche will go out of business if us Pcar drivers don't care what others think of us and we bought a Porsche simply because *we* liked it.
I respect your opinion, although I do not agree, I will not say your opinion makes little sense. Porsche owes its existence in large part to the success of the Cayenne SUV. Very few self respecting P-car drivers who don't care what others think of them, would give a damn about that thing.

Younger buyers are probably indeed the target market for the corvette, as its a lower cost vehicle. I'm resisting using the term "cheaper" but I certainly think that's an appropriate descriptive term for that vehicle.
No one was talking about the cost of the cars. But you are right, I think Porsche will be under more pressure than before when it comes to prices. Just look at some of the latest lease deals Porsche is having, the low payment is unheard of in the past.

I'm sorry but the last paragraph made me laugh. "A clear sign of aging when you become less and less tolerant of different styles". Speaking for myself, I'm nowhere near old and I can tolerate the C7 design just fine. I just think it looks as ugly as a Boar's *** in my experience, age has little to do with one's taste. I know some old people with a really refined sense of style and taste, and young people who are absolute tools who can't even spell taste
That is what I am talking about. Older people often cannot accept the taste of the young. Believe me I can understand, I found myself less receptive of what the kids are watching, listening and following.

If you cannot tolerate yourself driving a C7 in part because you think its style is ugly, then you can not tolerate its style, pretty simple deduction. I am not saying older folks have no taste, only that they are less likely to accept others' tastes, or difference of opinions, especially those of the younger generations.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chuck - I don't always agree with you, but can generally appreciate your point. This time however, you've gone too far and I have to point out you are wrong, plain and simple. I'm 6'2".

Enjoyed meeting you, and knowing who is behind some very entertaining rants...er..opinions. Plus your '79 is gorgeous.

Hammer

Quick Reply: Saw my first C7 today