Sponsored by:

Using Flash Drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Default Using Flash Drive

So it appears that my new 2012 991 Cab does not have a hard drive. No biggie, but I am looking at alternatives. I was looking forward to being able to stream music from my 64GB iPhone 5, but it seems that you have to tee up whatever music you want to hear on the iPhone and then you can only control volume and previous/next song from the car controls.

So I can get a 64GB or 128GB flash drive for not too much money. I figure I can download alot of my iTunes library onto the flash drive and then just leave it plugged into the US port in the glove compartment. I am curious what to expect when I do that. Will I be able to scroll through all my music in a reasonable fashion? Will artwork show up? Is the sound better than via bluetooth? Is there any reason to get a 3.0 USB flash drive vs. 2.0? Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:35 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

yes to everything, except not sure v 3.0 will be any benefit
Old 11-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree...streaming from the phone is not all that convenient. Have you considered just attaching an iPod via the usb in the glove box? It doesn't give the album art, but you have full control via the cpm controls. You also have the option of disconnecting and using the iPod for other activities as well.
I happen to use an old iPhone for this purpose.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:59 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm not sure what my exact version of my PCM is (base stereo) I think while I was browsing it looked like 4.41 or something similar. My car is a 13, May build date if that matters. ?

I have an ipod nano 16gb plugged into my USB in the glove box and you can scroll through everything on it. Playlists, it shows album art etc. No problems. You don't even need to touch the screen.

I'm fairly certain the the sound quality is slightly better than streamimg from my iphone5 via bluetooth. And yes, while streaming BT you need to use your phone to control your music.

I have jukebox but I haven't attempted to load it yet. Perhaps this weekend I'll attempt it and let everyone know how that goes. If I get stuck my 8 year old daughter will be able to load everything for me no doubt.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an older 60 gig iPod that I keep plugged into the glove compartment USB connection. I just take it out every few weeks to sync up any new music I may have purchased. Works perfectly - much more convenient than the BT streaming!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:06 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
So I can get a 64GB or 128GB flash drive for not too much money. I figure I can download alot of my iTunes library onto the flash drive and then just leave it plugged into the US port in the glove compartment. I am curious what to expect when I do that. Will I be able to scroll through all my music in a reasonable fashion? Will artwork show up? Is the sound better than via bluetooth? Is there any reason to get a 3.0 USB flash drive vs. 2.0? Thanks for any advice.

This is what I do.....have a 32gb card plugged in. works great. dont know about art work since i didnt put any on the card.
Old 11-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Thank you all. I have an old iPod Nano that I run with. I could plug that into the car, but I would need to retrieve it 3x/week when i run. I'd rather get a flash drive than a dedicated iPod, since a new 64GB flash drive can be had for $33 at Micro Center (perhaps even less on line) and a 128GB flash is $80. If the PCM controls work as well with either one, I don't see the advantage in my situation to buying another iPod.

Trending Topics

Old 11-14-2013, 02:12 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Sounds good bro.

I think the only way you can get album art is from a newer ipod. ? Maybe?

I get album art and I'm thinking that may be the case. Not important but maybe someone could chime in that uses the USB with just a flash drive.

Edit... also, I have noticed that on some tracks I will not have album art but then after a few syncs, album art is appearing after it's uploaded into the itunes store or something like that. For the record I'm not a tech geek.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:29 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just piling on. I have an early build without the jukebox function but have an Ipod Classic that's been in my last few cars as a dedicated musicbox. Full functionality through the PCM and it resumes where you were when you go to other sources like FM. On my last Audi, the Ipod link defaulted back to its base settings every time you changed source or turned off the radio/car, that was annoying.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Chiboy
Racer

So.....does an iPod Classic give the PCM any more functionality than a USB flash drive? That's what I don't really know.
Old 11-14-2013, 04:25 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe this helps...
http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/...for-tracks-USB
Old 11-14-2013, 05:53 PM
Hothonda
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcusG
Sounds good bro.

I think the only way you can get album art is from a newer ipod. ? Maybe?

I get album art and I'm thinking that may be the case. Not important but maybe someone could chime in that uses the USB with just a flash drive.

Edit... also, I have noticed that on some tracks I will not have album art but then after a few syncs, album art is appearing after it's uploaded into the itunes store or something like that. For the record I'm not a tech geek.
I have Ipod Classics (older) and no album art on the 991.....I do get the art on my '14 Acura's though - same ipods.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:11 PM
Monetthecat
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

One thought... I don't think the PCM will read anything from your iTune library in Apple ACC format unless streamed from the iPhone/iPod.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:36 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
So.....does an iPod Classic give the PCM any more functionality than a USB flash drive? That's what I don't really know.
Hmm. Never tried. But I'm guessing it depends on how you have formatted the music on the flash drive. If you've got song, artist, and album, it appears from Hammer's link that the PCM could read them. If you don't have all those things it would probably only read song title which may or may not be a problem for you. 90% of the time I'm using my Ipod in the car, I have it set for random/shuffle, so only when looking for a particular item do those other things come into play.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:50 AM
Chiboy
Racer

Originally Posted by Monetthecat
One thought... I don't think the PCM will read anything from your iTune library in Apple ACC format unless streamed from the iPhone/iPod.
Well, that would be a deal breaker. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I thought I had read that you can just copy over your iTunes library (from a Mac or PC) to a flash drive and it will work fine.

Quick Reply: Using Flash Drive