Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK in Sport Plus woes

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 01:29 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, that would be like zero to ninety by the other side of the intersection. Attract attention, it would.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
I agree about the kick down button, I hate it. They removed it in the GT3, I wonder if it's possible to just disconnect the switch?
Not as far as I could tell when I took mine apart. There is no switch, just a spring-loaded actuator that offers resistance at the end of normal throttle travel.

The gas pedal assembly is not one of the all-time great feats of Porsche engineering.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:03 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,197 Likes on 637 Posts

What is this kickdown button? I don't understand what you are referrring to when you say the car dies. Does something cut the gas or power?
Old 12-20-2013, 11:26 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on what you've written, and I don't mean this to sound dick-ish, but are you sure you should be driving a high performance vehicle? Your explanation is pretty vague and it almost seems like you're nervous to let er rip
Old 12-21-2013, 06:44 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
Based on what you've written, and I don't mean this to sound dick-ish, but are you sure you should be driving a high performance vehicle? Your explanation is pretty vague and it almost seems like you're nervous to let er rip
I think you and the OP miss the point of Sport+ with PDK on the 991S. It maps drive train management towards what one might use in race conditions rather what is appropriate for typical street use. It is not mapped for coasting. In "automatic" setting, left to itself (rather than manually shifted) it is sudden and harsh unless the throttle is fully applied (accelerating) of not at all (braking). Sport+ is easily controlled at less than full throttle for street driving in manual shifting mode. Sport mode better manages the need for less abrupt shifting and works better in Automatic mode in that application. Personally, I am glad the option is there. I don't need to have less available than what can be provided, given the choice of how to use the options.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:55 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well said and spot on Chucky. Perfect.

Last edited by holminator; 12-21-2013 at 09:23 AM. Reason: iPad foolishness
Old 12-21-2013, 09:20 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
My explanation may be vague, but consider I'm just coming out of breakin and have had limited time to investigate and test the issue further ! I admit the problem may be me instead of the car, me needing more time to understand and get used to the car. Further testing will make that clear.

But I don't know if it is fair to say I shouldn't be driving a high performance vehicle.

Wouldn't you rather cross me and my car in traffic, an (maybe overly) analytical and cautious driver, than a hothead that floors it regardless... ?
Old 12-21-2013, 10:44 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I think you and the OP miss the point of Sport+ with PDK on the 991S. It maps drive train management towards what one might use in race conditions rather what is appropriate for typical street use. It is not mapped for coasting. In "automatic" setting, left to itself (rather than manually shifted) it is sudden and harsh unless the throttle is fully applied (accelerating) of not at all (braking). Sport+ is easily controlled at less than full throttle for street driving in manual shifting mode. Sport mode better manages the need for less abrupt shifting and works better in Automatic mode in that application. Personally, I am glad the option is there. I don't need to have less available than what can be provided, given the choice of how to use the options.
fair comment. based on my history with tuned throttle mapping, if you have it activated, you need to know what you're doing. i should have considered that the OP may not necessarily have been informed of how the function works rather than inferring that he did.

Originally Posted by bccars
Wouldn't you rather cross me and my car in traffic, an (maybe overly) analytical and cautious driver, than a hothead that floors it regardless... ?
if you were cute with a huge rack then yes, stick around please!
Old 03-22-2014, 04:42 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I rarely kick it in sport plus for a taste, but the public roads can handle it for only a few moments.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 AM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Me too. I once blew up a city street by just looking at the sports plus button. Moreover I'm cute and I have a huge rack. My man ***** are ahem the bomb. You guys crack me up. Awesome.

Quick Reply: PDK in Sport Plus woes