Sponsored by:

991/997 in the Rearview

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by handful
This a reoccurring theme: Corvette guys desperately seeking confirmation that their car is on par with Porsche. If you are convinced that your car is equal or better, why do you feel the need to seek affirmation, aknowlegment and approval here?
Indeed. It has long become tiresome.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 155 Posts

As someone who has owned 3 Corvettes, the most recent of which was a modified C6Z06 with ~640 NA horsepower, but who has a '14 991 Turbo S somewhere between port and dealer, I can understand the appeal of both cars. The 'Vette is a fantastic car for the money, with gobs of torque and horsepower and a ton of cargo space. But the interiors have historically been horrible, especially the seats, and the technology has always been robust but crude. While they have done a lot to improve the car, including the seats, it's still a Chevy, and shows it with things like the Rev Match On/Off switch "Paddles", which say to me that they want the appearance of a dual clutch but don't have the ability to build one for an engine powerful. And the styling of the C7 is, at best, garish, especially in the lighter colors.

The 991 costs more. A lot more. But, as the saying goes, you get what you pay for - modern but classic styling, outstanding quality of materials, design, and build, and leading edge technology, especially on the high-end models where you get things like VGT, RWS, and standard PDK.

So the 991 is definitely the superior vehicle. But for those who just can't swing the price, and are willing to compromise on quality and appearance to keep performance, the 'Vette isn't a bad 2nd choice.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:24 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Seen the C7 for the first time in real life two days ago. It is not as bad as I have been thinking. Even the horrid backside is OK'isch in real life, could be mitigated by a darkisch color that hides some "things". Quality seems much, much better than C6 in and out.

But not yet on par with a 991, honestly, not even close, the gap is still huge !

Nevertheless, I'm intrigued by the specs of the C7 Z06 with Z07 performance package.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:55 AM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my C2S. It's a very well-balanced sports car with a high level of quality and finish that's commensurate with its price. The design is conservative and certainly doesn't attract attention from anyone except another 911 driver. That said, I find the C7 Z06 to be a very compelling car. Its looks are garish but very pleasing, IMO. It will probably look best in black or very dark colors so as to limit the contrast of all the black air inlets and flares and such. There's nothing conservative about the design and it truly lives up to its self-described "America's Supercar" title.

What I find offensive in these strings is the smugness of many Porsche owners who look down their noses at American cars in general, Chevys and Corvettes in particular. A fully-optioned 2015 Z06 will cost less than a base C2S and yet have a completely leather-wrapped interior, carbon ceramic brakes, 625HP, a choice of auto or manual transmissions, a car that utilizes a lot of carbon fiber for more than just trim, and a removable targa top made out of CF. I'd spend $100K for such a car as it would be almost comparable to a 911 Turbo S and yet cost half the price. I wouldn't pay $200K for a 911TT under ANY circumstances as it is just too much money for a supercar that looks like a daily driver. As supercars go, the Z06 with Z07 performance options is the best value for the money, period.

Will I trade my C2S on a Z06 next year? Probably not but never say never. I'll certainly take one for a test drive and see for myself if it looks as good and drives as well as all the introductory hype. Until then, I'm loving my C2S and expect to keep enjoying it for what it is. And what it is is NOT a supercar. Put it in a grouping of 458, Z06, Gallardo, etc. and the one that will stick out like a sore thumb is the 911. And that's just fine.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:01 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SanibelSpeed
What I find offensive in these strings is the smugness of many Porsche owners who look down their noses at American cars in general, Chevys and Corvettes in particular.
Fair enough. But they started it.

There's really nothing new or revolutionary about the C7. Its an improved car over a previous generation. Big deal. Its biggest strength is its less tacky than previous models with marginally better performance. That's fine, and its an OK enough value for the money and deserves credit for that. But when guys drop spam on a Porsche forum about how a pushrod V-8 is just as good and cheaper its really the same old nonsense that's been spewed for generations. Nothing beats cubic inches, blah blah blah...well, except pretty much almost everything.

An American V-8 that can post static performance numbers at, near, or in some cases in excess of a European 6, is a straw man arguement if ever there was one. I'm sure the "Mustangs" of the dark ages (Pintos with 302's in them) could "out perform" most imports of the day as could pretty much any Camaro and several pick ups. But big deal. 911's have a reputation for being fast and they live up to that very well. But no one gets one to have the fastest car for the money. People get them because they are one of (argueably the) best all around cars including style, fit, finish, handling, efficiency and to a lesser extent even practicality, daily driver comfort and "HECK YEAH" potential that few, if any, other cars can match...wait for it...even for the money.

If you're going to compare 0-60 for the money, the Cayman S is a more fair comparison anyway and more than holds its own with a new Vette especially considering handling and its intentionally choked down from the factory at least 25 HP. The C7 is the best looking Vette ever built. And its still "meh." For about the same money you can get a $20,000 Mustang with a 662 HP shoehorned in there for a Vette price and get 0-60 a full second less with a higher top speed. I guess every Vette fanboy that uses the performance for the money criteria to claim victory over 911's is also willing to bow down to Ford as the superior car.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 PM
Samp4
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yea. Is there a way to stop this thread???
Old 01-24-2014, 08:03 PM
tmg57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Anthracite4sCab
Probably not. I've been listening to this same debate for fifty years. The arguments have not changed.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:24 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

The Corvette and 911 are very similar in the performance department.

The Corvette wins the day when value is the main factor.

The Porsche wins the day when value is not a factor.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:31 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
The Corvette and 911 are very similar in the performance department.

The Corvette wins the day when value is the main factor.

The Porsche wins the day when value is not a factor.
Correction: The Corvette wins the day when price is the main factor.

Price is what it costs; value is what it brings to the table. Price is objective, value is subjective. Clearly, for most people here, Porsche wins on value.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:33 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Just J
Correction: The Corvette wins the day when price is the main factor.

Price is what it costs; value is what it brings to the table. Price is objective, value is subjective. Clearly, for most people here, Porsche wins on value.
Well corrected.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:04 AM
DvidzBlk991
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:00 PM
RichardC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris Harris did a comparison of the C7 and the C2S on /Drive.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:27 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by PCC
Yes yes ... the 991 is more refined. Yes, the interior is a little nicer. The car is more prestigious .......etc etc

But I'm getting tired of the ridiculous pricing. This thing will smoke our cars for much less:

2014 Corvette Z06

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/aut...icle-1.1577829
You'd have to be smoking something to choose a Chevy over a Porsche.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:59 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Value shoppers looking into the Corvette might want to consider the full range of options.

And I guarantee it smokes even the Turbo S in turning radius!

Last edited by chuck911; 03-21-2015 at 03:46 AM.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:23 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Someone call for my help?

Quick Reply: 991/997 in the Rearview