Sponsored by:

Engine fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 07:45 PM
labcoat
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine fire

I just had my 2013 911 S Cab go up in flames a week ago, almost the same way yours did. I'm 11 months into the lease, with only 2,000 miles on the car. I was driving with the top down in a residential area, traveling around 30 mph, when the engine became unresponsive. I immediately smelled something burning and saw smoke come from the engine as the dash warning lights came on. I coasted to a stop and jumped out just as flames leapt from the engine. I ran to safety as my car went up, the flames reaching upwards of 30 feet in the air. Luckily there is a fire department a few blocks from where this happened, so they arrived rather quickly - but even so, it was too late. The car is totaled and is now being analyzed by my insurance company's fire investigation department. I had the car's first oil change the day before at the dealership from which I leased the vehicle.

Were you able to get any compensation and/or take any legal action?
Attached Images    
Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

That is really frightening. I guess you were lucky it was a low speed affair and you could quickly stop and get out. I wonder if it is as simple as a mechanic leaving a shop rag under the engine fan cover somewhere. Gap insurance should have you covered to walk from the lease but I wonder what you can possibly extract in consideration for the whole experience given that there appears to be no obvious damage other than the car.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Gcracker07110
Rennlist Member

Lab coat please start a new thread so that we an keep up with your saga. Sorry to hear about your car. A little disconcerting this spontaneous combustion of 991s
Old 01-20-2014, 08:47 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by labcoat
I just had my 2013 911 S Cab go up in flames a week ago, almost the same way yours did. I'm 11 months into the lease, with only 2,000 miles on the car. I was driving with the top down in a residential area, traveling around 30 mph, when the engine became unresponsive. I immediately smelled something burning and saw smoke come from the engine as the dash warning lights came on. I coasted to a stop and jumped out just as flames leapt from the engine. I ran to safety as my car went up, the flames reaching upwards of 30 feet in the air. Luckily there is a fire department a few blocks from where this happened, so they arrived rather quickly - but even so, it was too late. The car is totaled and is now being analyzed by my insurance company's fire investigation department. I had the car's first oil change the day before at the dealership from which I leased the vehicle.

Were you able to get any compensation and/or take any legal action?
Wow! Very sorry. That's terrible. Glad no injuries.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:57 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrible story. Happy you made it out safely. That's what's most important.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:16 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I hate to sound paranoid but it was this original thread that made me get fire extinguishers for all my cars. Scary stuff. Keep us updated!
Old 01-21-2014, 01:38 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthboy
I hate to sound paranoid but it was this original thread that made me get fire extinguishers for all my cars. Scary stuff. Keep us updated!
Smart: carry a fire extinguisher in your car

Smarter: skip the fire extinguisher and carry a good pair of running shoes
Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

This sounds like a repeat of the 991 fire in Seattle after the oil change from Larsen Porsche........should we be worried each time the oil is changed?? or carry a fire extinguisher and always wear a pair Nike when driving the car??
Old 01-21-2014, 08:04 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

scary story !
Old 01-22-2014, 04:02 AM
walterwu
Advanced

Sounds like Porsche dealers need to take the same approach that they use in the operating room and start counting up the the surgical sponges before they close up the patients.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 116 Posts

I think this is either fire number 3 or 4...
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yikes! This is the first I hear of 991s catching on fire.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 AM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've done an oil change on my own 911S and after filling up with fresh oil I realized that it was very easy to spill oil over the engine and exhaust system without noticing. The oil filler spout is very slow to accept the oil, so if you keep pouring, you can pour oil around the spout and onto the engine/exhaust below. If your funnel is as large as the spout, you won't notice the oil overflowing because of the plastic housing that covers everything but the top of the spout. I noticed it when the oil started dripping under the car. Very difficult to clean up too. I wonder if this has anything to do with these fires.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:57 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Originally Posted by mtony
I've done an oil change on my own 911S and after filling up with fresh oil I realized that it was very easy to spill oil over the engine and exhaust system without noticing. The oil filler spout is very slow to accept the oil, so if you keep pouring, you can pour oil around the spout and onto the engine/exhaust below. If your funnel is as large as the spout, you won't notice the oil overflowing because of the plastic housing that covers everything but the top of the spout. I noticed it when the oil started dripping under the car. Very difficult to clean up too. I wonder if this has anything to do with these fires.
This is precisely why I don't like the plastic cover over the engine that hides everything.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:00 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Glad you to hear you made it okay and no injuries occurred. Keep us updated on what you hear back. Good luck with everything.

Quick Reply: Engine fire