Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one who went with a minimalistic options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Am I the only one who went with a minimalistic options?

Am I the only one who went with a minimalistic low wight options?

I looking at other 991 configurations and no one got less add ons then me. To me 991 is sports car >>>>> luxury car so I used Lotus philosophy "Simplify, then add lightness" to configure my Porsche. And money saving is also a nice plus.

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.” Lotus.

2014 991 base +
-Rhodium silver
-4 way Sport leather seats
-PDK
-Chronometer package
-Sport steering wheel
-No model designation

The only option I wish I did get is PSE. And maybe PCSB.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:54 PM
certified_prime
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have less.

2012 Carrera
* Heated seats
* Heated steering wheel
* Bose stereo

Manal transmission. No sunroof. Very clean. Honestly, I didn't want the Bose. But, considering I only paid $73k, Bose didn't cost me much.

I wish it had PASM. I am conflicted about whether I want to mod the exhaust and add PSE or a crosspipe. But no other options interest me.

That is it. Amazing car. I love driving it every chance I get.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:03 PM
Samp4
Racer

I went the other way and so glad I did. I love the comfort and nice feel of the leather.

No regrets here. I know I spent 20 + on options but would hate spending 100000 on plastic door
Panels.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:59 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zohan
Am I the only one who went with a minimalistic low wight options?

I looking at other 991 configurations and no one got less add ons then me. To me 991 is sports car >>>>> luxury car so I used Lotus philosophy "Simplify, then add lightness" to configure my Porsche. And money saving is also a nice plus.

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights, subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere.” Lotus.

2014 991 base +
-Rhodium silver
-4 way Sport leather seats
-PDK
-Chronometer package
-Sport steering wheel
-No model designation

The only option I wish I did get is PSE. And maybe PCSB.
i don't understand the point of this post. ultimately, to each their own?? if you bought the best car you can afford, you don't have to justify it by drawing parallels between weight-saving and a lack of options! just enjoy it for what it is!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 AM
ruhlich
Instructor

Originally Posted by 991999R
i don't understand the point of this post. ultimately, to each their own?? if you bought the best car you can afford, you don't have to justify it by drawing parallels between weight-saving and a lack of options! just enjoy it for what it is!
+1
Old 03-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Fill it with gas, goto a weigh station (city garbage tips often have them) and post your cars weight (subtract your weight of course). I would be interested in how much 'stripped' 991s weigh.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:05 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

And besides, Rhodium is by far the heaviest paint. Think about it. Rhodium.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 AM
991999R
Rennlist Member

my greatest weight saving alternative is losing some of my own fat!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:24 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

Well if we are going to say "to each their own" then I don't see anything wrong with the thread. It would be the same if a whale came in and said hey, I have $45k in options in my C4S. I'd be like, "Damn" and I'd rather have a GT3 but this is what makes us human. We all love different things.

For the OP I have

C2S
PDK
Sport Chrono
PSE
4 way seats
Base stereo
sunroof in glass
parking sensor
smoking package

I was thinking of ordering a car which is best especially if you know exactly what you want but life has thrown me quite a few curves over the last year and I wanted to enjoy a 991 before it's too late.

So I shopped enough dealers to justify needing morphine to make the headaches go away and found something as close to what I would have ordered. I would have done without the sunroof for sure if I had a choice but the car was stripped just the way I wanted otherwise. It was new and with 12 miles on it and all the plastic. Hadn't even been driven.

I have McIntosh tubes, Dual and some Tascam reel to reel at home so when I want to listen to music I head home.

Enjoy that new 991 ! Congrats!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:27 AM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

my greatest weight saving alternative is losing some of my own fat!
I hear you!

I'm sure the weight savings between a loaded 991 and a stripped one is nominal.

Now lose the entire interior, install a Kirkey race seat and some HRE 3 piece wheels. Now that would help.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:33 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

According to my calculations, I could lose enough to make up for PDK, PDCC, and a glass sunroof (not that I want the sunroof, just sayin'), and in the process save almost enough in groceries to get PCCB! Its a win-win. No, wait, lose-win! (Lose... when?)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:23 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

I think Porsche would sell a lot more cars if they kept more min specs on the lots. The spartan Cayman I specced (then bought a CPO C2S well prior to the cutoff point, but the dealer kept the order anyway and took it for themselves) sold almost immediately and for good reason. It was, by far, the cheapest Cayman S in the country. The way over specced ones took them 6 months or more to move, and one is still there pushing 9 months. If I was ordering, I'd go min all day, every day.

Choice of transmissions (I'd prefer MT anyway), heated and vented seats, heated steering wheel and maybe Bose (optional) and colored wheel crests. If I wanted to go hog wild, Sport Chrono. Basically a couple grand over bone stock MSRP (simplify) then a nice no hassle discount off that price (add lightness).
Old 03-10-2014, 04:06 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Many people only keep the car 2-3 years, so you are really only paying for the depreciation (30-40%) on the price of the options anyway. For example, on my 2 year lease, PCCB's would have only cost an additional ~$2,700, which is almost reasonable...
Old 03-10-2014, 08:19 AM
Zohan
Racer

Buying 200k car would not affect my life style in any way. I got exactly what I wanted at a time no more no less.
I don’t have to justify anything to anyone other than myself. And I did I would not post it here.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Zohan
Racer

Originally Posted by chuck911
And besides, Rhodium is by far the heaviest paint. Think about it. Rhodium.
Well, to make GT silver they squash another GT car and use it as a wrap so out of the two rhodium was the lighter option

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who went with a minimalistic options?