991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 issues update and lemon law filling

Old 03-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Very well documented. I had a car in 2004, ( not a Porsche as it happened but not cheap) and it had electrical problems from day 1. The dealer fooled around with it for weeks and new problems appeared. I eventually took it up with the manufacturer, and promised them some well-directed negative publicity. I did get a new car, a 2005, which was flawless.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nmurray22
This is true, I have tried to promote the brand as much as I can, I answer 5-10 questions a day from buyers mostly because dealer sales people can not be bother(ed) to learn the cars they are sell.

I have tried to be as fair a possible.
That is one thing that PISSES ME OFF more than anything. When I know way more about their product than they do. My current local dealer, Bakersfield - taking Sabbatical for family reasons, they only have two or three competent people selling cars and one of them is the Sales Manager. This is probably due to the dealership being attached to an Audi and VW showrooms. So in the lot I'm more likely to bump into an Audi Salesman. That's why I just walk directly into the Porsche Showroom. Where sometimes I get ignored depending on how I'm dressed or how scruffy my hair looks. But I always drive-up in my Prius so for the sales people it's hard to gauge if I'm worthy of engaging or not. I have way more luck dealing with dealerships in Los Angeles and that is where I will probably end up buying when I do an a la carte order.

That Bakersfield shop has an 991 TTS, looks like a Monkey configured it.

That and when they had the 997.2 GT3 they configured with the Dash-Wart and I told the salesman that the Wart wasn't a popular option especially amongst track day folk; we argued politely about what makes a good Porsche for a good 15 minutes. Of course nothing was settled but it was funny to see how narrow minded some of these sales people are when they want to keep on adding to the total cost of the car.

/End Babbling and off topic aim.

Last edited by Tacet-Conundrum; 03-17-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Just (Per)cause!
Old 03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Argh!!! I cringed watching your vid. I kept thinking "you of all people... you don't deserve this!". I must have watched your vid on the leather and stitching order details a dozen times. It was the only clear guide I'd found to explain how to spend even more money on a new Porsche.

Stick up for yourself, mate. Demand a new car. Quit being so nice an get tough. That car was $$$$.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:28 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Nick, great video's!

Very frustrating but more important; Please be careful; I would not drive it anymore.

What happens if you take a fast corner and you hit a bump? I assume the power steering is off as well? Brakes? What about in heavy traffic and you stop on the interstate?
Get another car and figure out the cost with Porsche later or not, but its not worth it to drive this one any longer!

I say this because we had a launch edition X5 4.4Sport in 1999 and that car would randomly shut off on my wife, it was not until I almost crashed it once that I realized how dangerous it was.
I could turn and stop the car, but I was sure she would have crashed it had she been the driver at that speed on that corner and I did not let her drive the car again.
The lease only had 3 months to go, so I just let it sit in my driveway and bought her another car..
Old 03-17-2014, 01:03 PM
westlaker
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Honestly you would think so. Gone are the days where they can just ignore a problem because it is only one customer.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:42 PM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

Porsche has most probably lost sales and therefore a decent amount of money as a consequence of your unfortunate scenario. It would have been in their best interest to have replaced your car long ago to keep bad press away. I don't own a 991, but I'd certainly be hesitant to buy one based on how you have been treated.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jon70
Porsche has most probably lost sales and therefore a decent amount of money as a consequence of your unfortunate scenario. It would have been in their best interest to have replaced your car long ago to keep bad press away. I don't own a 991, but I'd certainly be hesitant to buy one based on how you have been treated.
i think this might be a bit more dealer related than Porsche as a marque...screwing around with a canbus electrical system is a dicey proposition and it takes very little to cause a lot of damage.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

This is bad…..very bad.

I hope that this gets resolved quickly.

Nothing less than a new car would be acceptable. You should get a sizable discount for all of your inconvenience.

Good luck with this mess.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Nick, thanks for posting the video. Really very unfortunate and disappointing handling of your problems on all levels. I have to applaud you for your patience.

I agree with you and many that PCNA handled this poorly but the larger responsibility falls on the dealer. They are the ones who have the access to upper management within PCNA, and should have been fighting this fight on your behalf, plus they are the one who sold you the car. Smiling in your face or indicating they understand is not good enough. Most Porsche customers are repeat customers, so it is to the dealer's best interest that you are happy. I am curious if you ever fill out the surveys that PCNA sends after each service visit?

I am not trying to exonerate PCNA either, because they also have their own share of the blame. I know that they monitor this forum and others as well, and I am sure by now they should have seen this very damaging video, and would have thought by now, they would be trying to contact you to at least inquire about these problems you are having with the car.

I would hope PCNA would handle the GT3 issue better than they handled your problems. Good luck on your lemon law filling and hopefully PCNA would do the right thing soon and let us know if it ever gets resolved. Mark
Old 03-17-2014, 03:22 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, boy. What a nightmare.

First, I would like to sincerely compliment you on your patience, self control and poise during this situation. It appears, through what little I have seen recounted, that you have been an exemplar of mature behavior. Excellent stuff. I find the suggestions that one should allow emotions to rule one's behavior in situations like these to be wrong minded, to say the least.

Now that Porsche HQ has been made officially aware of your situation, as it is my belief that all dealerships have a very limited sphere of influence, interest, and communication, I expect Porsche AG or PCNA to remedy this problem in manner that you find satisfactory.

If not, and the need for a loud and angry customer is finally reached, maintain your poise by hiring an attorney to do the screaming.

Best of luck.

Let us know how it progresses.

Hey, Porsche HQ, I'm watching to see how you handle this.
'

'

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 03-17-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:25 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 77 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
If not, and the need for a loud and angry customer is finally reached, maintain your poise by hiring an attorney to do the screaming.
And if that fails just show them JohnyBahamas avatar. Their tongues will be on the floor and will pretty much do anything you ask

Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry to hear about the issues with your car. PCNA should replace your car. Totally unacceptable for a 120K+ car.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Oldskewl
Instructor

This is a mess..

I understand your issues with the lemon law, it sounds like you put a lot of work and effort into specifying "your" car and to have it go wrong must be terrible.

As others has mentioned I think going ahead with the lemon law at this point is your only course of action. PCNA seems to not be too concerned with your issues and I doubt that will change anytime soon.

Good luck.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:54 PM
ColdList
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the dealer is doing their best.
The thing is that the dealer isn't truly "doing their best". You see, if the dealer has a new customer they magically are able to pull a "favor" allocation out of their hat. When a customer has a problem, they like to act as if they are on your side and tell you they are doing everything but the result (or lack thereof) speak loudly. Now, granted, I do not know your dealer and I am making generalized statements, however, unless you are receiving the following:

*frequent unsolicited updates from your dealer regarding their attempts at conversations with Porsche on your behalf

*status updates as to research they have been doing about potential resolutions to problems with your car that they are unable to decipher first hand

*offers to exchange collateral (swap cars) with you or to provide a suitable loaner vehicle while your unsafe vehicle sits at their shop pending resolution

then you are not really getting "everything" out of your dealer. You have a very mild personality and I can imagine the advantage they are taking of it. At this point, from an outsiders perspective, you are a guy who they have effectively "sent home" in a vehicle not safe for operation. For goodness sake man. YOU ARE CARRYING AROUND FIRE EXTINGUISHERS. Park the car back at the dealer and be a bit more demanding. Unfortunately, while it may not be your style, strong personalities win. You have every right to be aggressive. If you cannot then hire suitable counsel to do it for you.

Last edited by ColdList; 03-17-2014 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:14 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColdList
The thing is that the dealer isn't truly "doing their best". You see, if the dealer has a new customer they magically are able to pull a "favor" allocation out of their hat. When a customer has a problem, they like to act as if they are on your side and tell you they are ding everything but the result (or lack thereof) speak loudly. Now, granted, I do not know your dealer and I am making generalized statements, however, unless you are receiving the following:

*frequent unsolicited updates from your dealer regarding their attempts at conversations with Porsche on your behalf

*status updates as to research they have been doing about potential resolutions to problems with your car that they are unable to decipher forst hand

*offers to exchange collateral (swap cars) with you or to provide a suitable loaner vehicle while your unsafe vehicle sits at their shop pending resolution

then you are not really getting "everything" out of your dealer. You have a very mild personality and I can imagine the advantage they are taking of it. At this point, from an outsiders perspective, you are a guy who they have effectively "sent home" in a vehicle not safe for operation. For goodness sake man. YOU ARE CARRYING AROUND FIRE EXTINGUISHERS. Park the car back at the dealer and be a bit more demanding. Unfortunately, while it may not be your style, strong personalities win. You have every right to be aggressive. If you cannot then hire suitable counsel to do it for you.
love this answer...every point is exactly accurate...if they really care, they will make sure to let you know that they do so.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling