Sponsored by:

Wheel Lug Key

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 09:43 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel Lug Key

Hi all - I was planning on swapping my winter wheel and tire set for my summer set today (a bit aspirational as it's supposed to snow a bit mid-week here in NY) but I noticed that some of the "teeth" in my wheel lug key are broken. Since the "key part" is partially broken, the key doesn't work to remove the wheel lug lock. Does anyone know where I can get a new key, and whether the same key would work for all 991s or if it's vehicle specific? I'm hoping the dealer doesn't charge me $100 for a new key to replace the flimsy key that came with the car, but I'm afraid that'll be the end result. I even had followed the instructions last time I switched my wheels and didn't loosen or tighten the lug key with a power tool . . . Thanks in advance!
Old 03-23-2014, 09:45 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

OK someone needs to lose their German Engineer membership club card for under speccing something like that. Double you tee eff!
Old 03-23-2014, 10:47 PM
beebalm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eg991
Hi all - I was planning on swapping my winter wheel and tire set for my summer set today (a bit aspirational as it's supposed to snow a bit mid-week here in NY) but I noticed that some of the "teeth" in my wheel lug key are broken. Since the "key part" is partially broken, the key doesn't work to remove the wheel lug lock. Does anyone know where I can get a new key, and whether the same key would work for all 991s or if it's vehicle specific? I'm hoping the dealer doesn't charge me $100 for a new key to replace the flimsy key that came with the car, but I'm afraid that'll be the end result. I even had followed the instructions last time I switched my wheels and didn't loosen or tighten the lug key with a power tool . . . Thanks in advance!
Hi eg991,
The wheel lock key is vehicle specific. The Porsche mechanic has to go through his master set to find the one that matches your car. Then they will most likely have to special order it but the cost should be under forty dollars.
Hope this helps
BeeBalm
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

BeeBalm - thanks so much for your response! I was hoping to avoid a trip to the dealership, but it is what it is. This should be my biggest problem with the car! Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 03:11 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took mine off and replaced them with regular lug bolts. I was more worried about not getting the wheel off at the track than somebody stealing the wheels.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:10 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

So, I spoke with my dealership's parts manager who said that the lock/ keys are vehicle specific and the only way to see which key I have is if I come into the dealership so they can match it up with one of the keys on their master set. A bit of a pain, but it is what it is. The parts manager said the cost of a new key should be around $25. I'm also considering replacing the lug locks with regular lug bolts, but I'm a bit wary of the wheels getting stolen (they are awfully nice).
Old 03-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Jeffdehr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While you are at the dealer I'd suggest you buy 2 keys for $50. This way you can keep the locking wheel lug on your car and have a spare key. I don't know but I'd bet 4 Porsche original lug nuts will cost the same as the extra key!
Old 03-24-2014, 07:08 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
OK someone needs to lose their German Engineer membership club card for under speccing something like that...
+1. While removing the wheels on my 991 (to replace the OEM rubber with MPSS's) I watched the key break. The tech was careful, and the shop works almost exclusively on Porsches, so I attribute this mishap to the under-engineered cloverleaf two-piece key. He was able to get the lug bolts off, after which I replaced the key set with the far more stout older style single-piece set.

Spyder
Old 03-25-2014, 07:54 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

I'm planning on replacing the key with a single piece set as well. But the extra special "high security" key that's on my car apparently only comes on cars with the factory spacers. It seems that most 2014s come with the single piece key. To make matters worse, the dealers' master key sets don't include a master for the 2 piece key. And so I need to order one FROM GERMANY just so I can take the current lug locks off the car and swap my wheels out. Believe it or not, the cost for this new key was quoted as $175. The dealer was similarly surprised and suggested that I write to Porsche NA about the shoddy craftsmanship. I will do that, but first I hope that my replacement key comes soon so I can get my winters off and my summers back on. This morning I stopped by a local dealer in L.I. and was accused of putting aftermarket locks on my car because Porsche doesn't make a two piece key. Whatever.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:25 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Originally Posted by eg991
I'm planning on replacing the key with a single piece set as well. But the extra special "high security" key that's on my car apparently only comes on cars with the factory spacers. It seems that most 2014s come with the single piece key. To make matters worse, the dealers' master key sets don't include a master for the 2 piece key. And so I need to order one FROM GERMANY just so I can take the current lug locks off the car and swap my wheels out. Believe it or not, the cost for this new key was quoted as $175. The dealer was similarly surprised and suggested that I write to Porsche NA about the shoddy craftsmanship. I will do that, but first I hope that my replacement key comes soon so I can get my winters off and my summers back on. This morning I stopped by a local dealer in L.I. and was accused of putting aftermarket locks on my car because Porsche doesn't make a two piece key. Whatever.
Your post answers some the questions I had after my "high security", aka "piece of crap", key broke. I also have the factory spacers, but my tire/wheel shop (working on Porsches almost exclusively) had a one-piece 2014 Porsche key set which worked perfectly. Believe me, I checked it very carefully to be sure that the bolts were identical to me originals....they were. Cost me less than $100 and now I have the piece of mind knowing that I won't be breaking the key when wheels are removed in my garage.

Spyder
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Spyder - thanks for your post. I actually am following the exact same approach, and ordered a one-piece key set (approx. $85) which I hope will be more sturdy than the "high security" POS key. Will still be a couple of days before my replacement key gets in from Germany . . . It's not like it's so hot in NYC that I can't be driving on my winter tires anyway. It's frustrating, but these are still "high class" problems to have. Thanks!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:26 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Just for clarification, is this the lug key in question? I've found that it doesn't appear to handle the new 118 ft lb torque settings very well, so I'll be ordering some standard lugs to fit my 5mm spacers.

Last edited by pfan; 05-07-2015 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:36 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

That's the one. I've saved mine for those moments when I'm convinced that I've purchased the best engineered car in the world. LOL.

Btw, since there seems to be some suggestion that this key set is specific to cars fitted with the factory 5 mm spacers, it'd be a good idea to be certain that the lug bolts in the new set are the the same length as the originals.

Spyder

Quick Reply: Wheel Lug Key