Sponsored by:

manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:33 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
We're going to need more cat memes. Somebody call the internet!!!!
I love cats. I love every kind of cat. I just want to hug them all.

But I can't.

I can't hug every cat.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:45 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
We're going to need more cat memes. Somebody call the internet!!!!
nevermind that...tell us more about being a glasshole
Old 04-08-2014, 04:41 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

I had a '12 manual Cayene. It was like shifting a truck clutch - literally. No heal toeing, I couldn't get too fast or too aggressive. I just traded it for a '14 Cayenne S and love it - particularly the air suspension and PASM. By the way I have a manual '14 C2S Coupe. PDK is great, if I opted for it I'd be driving like a demon. I tend to keep myself in check a little more with a manual and when I want to get aggressive, so be it. I had a C63 Coupe that all I wanted to do was drive it hard to hear that monster go blap, blap, blap - which was not good...
Old 04-08-2014, 04:51 PM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm not going to get involved in this discussion anymore, everything has allready been written in the past.

BUT ...

@Neanicu : Your quote "" ' Flappy paddles are for grandmas '-Andreas Preuninger "" is not really up to date anymore. Check out the youtube vids of AP. He changed his tune.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:07 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by bccars
I'm not going to get involved in this discussion anymore, everything has allready been written in the past. BUT ... @Neanicu : Your quote "" ' Flappy paddles are for grandmas '-Andreas Preuninger "" is not really up to date anymore. Check out the youtube vids of AP. He changed his tune.
That's his problem and it says a lot about his credibility. That's why the quote...he needs to be reminded of what he said in 2009.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:08 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
IPDK is great, if I opted for it I'd be driving like a demon. I tend to keep myself in check a little more with a manual and when I want to get aggressive, so be it. I had a C63 Coupe that all I wanted to do was drive it hard to hear that monster go blap, blap, blap - which was not good...
tell me about it...thats a (small) reason why i chose MT over PDK
Old 04-08-2014, 05:17 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I've enjoyed driving manual transmissions all my life. From pickups to sedans, sports cars to motorcycles, it was always one of those essential skills you felt proud to have mastered and enjoyed using doing well. Especially when passengers would comment on how uncommonly smooth its done, or when the wife after bugging relentlessly finally gets to drive the 911 and afterwards her number one comment is she has a new appreciation for what it takes to make something as seemingly menial as shifting work so well. So I'm definitely the guy you're looking for who loved driving a manual, was really good at it, always thought it was inextricably linked with driving pleasure.

I've also driven a 996 Tiptronic, and believe me, no Tiptronic car should bear the Porsche name. So automatics are verboten.

Then one day I drove a Carrera GTS back to back with another Carrera with PDK. Well it took about 5 minutes to realize that shifting a manual is extricably linked to driving pleasure. In fact I would say the one and only option that would make or break a deal for me is PDK. With, maybe. Without, no way. Okay, maybe you got a killer deal. If I could sell it and buy a car with PDK I might go for it.

Also I have a long-time PCA friend, owns a 993C4S, used to race Formula (forget which one) cars, really loves shifting his manual. One time he comes over starts asking me what I know about PDK. I thought oh no, here it comes, he's gonna trash PDK. All the usual nonsense about involvement, yadda, yadda. Until he starts talking about the 911 he just drove with PDK, and absolutely gushing about how crisp and fast it shifts, the way the throttle blips so perfectly, the way it made the car sound and feel like the way he WISHED he could have done with his Formula car if only he'd had the freakishly fast super-human responses that PDK provides. That's from a guy who still loves shifting his manual. You on the other hand are talking about "rowing". This tells me you are at least open to the truth, that manual is menial, work, labor, whatever you want to call it.

So go for PDK. Besides, you drive it for what like 3 weeks then on to the next thing? Heck I spend longer than that on my average RL post.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:40 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
nevermind that...tell us more about being a glasshole
When the student is ready, and all that.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:58 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't quite understand why you'd get enjoyment from the car shifting for you. When I drive my parents automatic luxury car the shifts are much smoother than in my manual sports car. In all the years I've driven automatics I've never gotten any enjoyment from passively watching the tachometer rev and drop and not noticing the shifts.

It was the same with the PDK automatic in the 991 I test drove. I know it's faster, but I don't really care that behind the scenes of passively watching the car shift or using flappy paddles is a dual clutch or a conventional automatic.

It kind of reminds me of watching someone do an activity you enjoy. It's kind of cool to see it done perfectly, but after a while I like to do it myself. For example, if you enjoy playing the piano it's kind of fun to see the player piano play a piece perfectly that you struggle with, but after a while I'd think you'd want to play yourself. I'd just get more enjoyment out of playing it myself vs. sitting there thinking "what great execution the player piano had on that measure"

So I think if you enjoy shifting/downshifting yourself you'd be reaching for the gearshift to shift yourself after a little while.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:03 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So let me understand this. Not everyone is the same? That's just crazy talk.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 PM
Fünfzig
Instructor

ugh...
Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
So let me understand this. Not everyone is the same? That's just crazy talk.
+1
Old 04-08-2014, 09:45 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I love cats. I love every kind of cat. I just want to hug them all.

But I can't.

I can't hug every cat.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM
mrstep
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I don't quite understand why you'd get enjoyment from the car shifting for you. When I drive my parents automatic luxury car the shifts are much smoother than in my manual sports car. In all the years I've driven automatics I've never gotten any enjoyment from passively watching the tachometer rev and drop and not noticing the shifts.

It was the same with the PDK automatic in the 991 I test drove. I know it's faster, but I don't really care that behind the scenes of passively watching the car shift or using flappy paddles is a dual clutch or a conventional automatic.

It kind of reminds me of watching someone do an activity you enjoy. It's kind of cool to see it done perfectly, but after a while I like to do it myself. For example, if you enjoy playing the piano it's kind of fun to see the player piano play a piece perfectly that you struggle with, but after a while I'd think you'd want to play yourself. I'd just get more enjoyment out of playing it myself vs. sitting there thinking "what great execution the player piano had on that measure"

So I think if you enjoy shifting/downshifting yourself you'd be reaching for the gearshift to shift yourself after a little while.
It's like having someone get a player piano and proceed to tell you why it's 'better' than playing yourself - it plays more perfectly every time, let's you concentrate on other things besides pressing the keys, and is the future of piano music. Err, OK, whatever you say.

Quick Reply: manual vs PDK