Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

I pondered the decision to get MT or PDK. What finally put me over the edge toward PDK was: If it's good enough for F1, it's good enough for me. (BTW I'd love to have a steering wheel like that)

Old 04-08-2014, 11:28 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah, watching that video really makes clear why so many guys find PDK passive and uninvolving. You can really see how its taken all the skill out of driving F1. I sure hope they pay these guys enough to be worth having such a boring job.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:36 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Yeah, watching that video really makes clear why so many guys find PDK passive and uninvolving. You can really see how its taken all the skill out of driving F1. I sure hope they pay these guys enough to be worth having such a boring job.
right?...its why we're not fn around with punch cards in computers because its more satisfying to feel connected to the calculations! test drive the damn cars and get what you want!!!
Old 04-08-2014, 11:43 PM
Car25
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

My Porsche salesperson recently mentioned that corporate is really concerned about the current younger generation not being into cars like prior generations were. I do not think PDK will help this. I'm sure more automatic features are coming. The fun is being engaged with the car, not watching it drive for you.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
like sands in the hourglass, these...are the days of our lives.
most here younger than Macdonald Carey's daughter Lynn won't know what you are referencing

Old 04-08-2014, 11:55 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
I pondered the decision to get MT or PDK. What finally put me over the edge toward PDK was: If it's good enough for F1, it's good enough for me. (BTW I'd love to have a steering wheel like that)

the good old days of heel and toeing F1 drivers ( my all time favorite , the late great Ayrton Senna , whom I had the privilege to watch battle Alain Prost in person at Monaco a couple times ) , wearing slacks and slip on leather soled shiny loafers no less ...and yes we wore black or brown leather loafers with white socks as casual weekend wear in the late 80s/ early 90s, instead of sneakers or flip flops today , LOL.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Senna was the man!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I always find it funny how many decisions about car makes, models, options, etc., appear to be made by some folks after they have watched some internet videos. My decision to stay with MT was made only after I had driven several 991s of each variety. I just couldn't imagine going about things a different way. But different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:56 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 991999R
right?...its why we're not fn around with punch cards in computers because its more satisfying to feel connected to the calculations! test drive the damn cars and get what you want!!!
I tried for the longest time to feel connected to my slide rule. In the end it was like it was doing it all for me. There was no comparison. Its back to the abacus for me.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:05 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
the good old days of heel and toeing F1 drivers ( my all time favorite , the late great Ayrton Senna , whom I had the privilege to watch battle Alain Prost in person at Monaco a couple times ) , wearing slacks and slip on leather soled shiny loafers no less ...and yes we wore black or brown leather loafers with white socks as casual weekend wear in the late 80s/ early 90s, instead of sneakers or flip flops today , LOL.

Senna was the man. And then came Schumacher. Then Schumacher was the man. Actually, Schumacher is still the man !

That being said. Most impressive thing in that video is the STC, Senna Traction Control. Check out his dabbing the throttle bursting out of the corners post apex ! Very enjoyable !
Love that NSX too, nice V6 sound !
Old 04-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

This thread is like the movie Groundhog Day. We keep doing it over and over in hopes that we finally get it perfect. I can't figure out why I watch it every single time it comes on RL.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:58 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jay-S
This thread is like the movie Groundhog Day. We keep doing it over and over in hopes that we finally get it perfect. I can't figure out why I watch it every single time it comes on RL.
I got you babe!
Old 04-09-2014, 10:07 AM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by mrstep
It's like having someone get a player piano and proceed to tell you why it's 'better' than playing yourself - it plays more perfectly every time, let's you concentrate on other things besides pressing the keys, and is the future of piano music. Err, OK, whatever you say.
I don't know if that's a fair analogy. In playing a piano there's basically the music that comes out and the keys that make it. But in driving there's a lot lot lot more than just the shifting. Its more fair to say a PDK automatically does the pedals on the piano but you still have to play. Yes its easier and sounds better with less mastery, but it lets you focus on the vast majority of the playing and as a result you play better.

Although playing a piano is no where remotely close to being as fun as driving a Porsche, of course.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I tried for the longest time to feel connected to my slide rule. In the end it was like it was doing it all for me. There was no comparison. Its back to the abacus for me.
I didn't realize you bought a real "calculators slide rule" because you enjoyed doing calculations. With the Porsche or other sports car it's for people who enjoy the driving process, not just getting where they're going. If you don't enjoy driving maybe you can get someone else drive you in their SUV/Minivan. If someone else is driving you can get there with even less involvement and real concentrate on watching the road. You can also take the bus or other form of mass transit and it will be a lot cheaper than throwing your money away on a car for people who enjoy the driving process.

Unlike you, with my calculators I just want the answer as fast as possible so I can move on to things I actually enjoy, like driving my MT Porsche.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:46 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
I always find it funny how many decisions about car makes, models, options, etc., appear to be made by some folks after they have watched some internet videos. My decision to stay with MT was made only after I had driven several 991s of each variety. I just couldn't imagine going about things a different way. But different strokes for different folks, I suppose.
You mean you based what transmission you got in your car after seeing which driving experience you enjoy more? That's crazy!

The proper way is to see what professionals in 1 seat cars designed strictly for racing around a track with no create comforts who make a living based on fractions of a second do and then buy your road car that your driving for fun based on that.

The other accepted way to is to buy what the specs say is the fastest so you can brag to everyone your car on paper is 2/10 of a sec faster. If the dealers are pushing an expensive gadget with high margins for them that a texting teen can drive , it's got to be because it's the most fun and what's right for you.

It makes no sense to test drive both based on the kind of driving you're going to do and then buy the one that will give you the most enjoyment over the years you're driving your car.

Quick Reply: manual vs PDK