Sponsored by:

manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 12:32 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
...you are at least open to the truth, that manual is menial, work, labor, whatever you want to call it...
So is turning a steering wheel and stepping on a brake pedal. I guess this means you'll be first on the waiting list when Porsche announces that they're offering autonomously-operated 911s...

Some here are saying that a PDK makes for an easier-to-sell car. I don't know whether that's true or not. I do know that, as I've been looking at lightly used 911s, a PDK-equipped car isn't worth a single cent more than a manual-equipped car. So, you're arguing that someone should spend a non-recoverable $4k extra so that they might be able to sell their car a bit quicker once they're tired of it?

As has often been said here, everyone is different. For those who worry so much about gaining split seconds with a PDK, what are you going to do when the C7 Corvette's new 8-speed conventional, torque-converter-equipped automatic hits the streets? It shifts a few hundredths of a second faster than a PDK. Will you have a crisis of faith in Porsche? No. Why not? Because there is more to a car buying decision than just raw numbers...things like driving enjoyment, which, for some, includes shifting a manual transmission for themselves. To each his own...

Last edited by 1analguy; 04-09-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:55 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpowers
The MT really makes driving the sports car fun for me. I don't think you show view the 7 gears as a deterrent to get the MT. You don't have to use those extra gears. They're just there b/c of the new fuel economy regulations. In most normal driving you probably won't use more than 5 gears.

I tried to PDK in both a test drive and the race track. To me it just ruined the experience of driving the car and I found it extremely boring. If you enjoy the manual get the manual car and find something fun to do with the $4,000 savings
Couldn't agree more. I would have definately purchased PDK, except for my fortuitious experience of getting a 991 loaner with PDK when I had my Porsche serviced last summer. There's about a 45 minute drive from the dealer to my house. For the first 15 minutes I thought that PDK was fabulous. For the next 15 minutes it was OK, and for the last 15 minutes it was downright boring. I just decided to put it in auto mode, and drove it like an automatic.

So if someone doesn't find PDK boring to drive, it's a no brainer option. Also, if someone encounters stop and go traffic on a regular basis, it's an excellent choice.
Old 04-09-2014, 02:29 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
So is turning a steering wheel and stepping on a brake pedal. I guess this means you'll be first on the waiting list when Porsche announces that they're offering autonomously-operated 911s...

You left out the gas pedal.

Steering, braking and throttle all exert control over the cars acceleration, which affects weight balance, which ultimately determines how much traction is available to make the car go where you want it to go. There is nothing menial about them. Steering, braking and throttle control require great skill. Shifting, not so much. As an instructor I have never seen anyone get into trouble shifting. When people crash its always lack of skill in steering, braking and/or throttle. Never shifting.

Oh sure, its nice when people are able to do it well, but its really not required. Which makes it, you know, menial. In a hundred-plus years we've eliminated hand cranking, manual spark advance, manual choke, a whole slew of menial tasks drivers once took great pride in being able to perform well. Even though, if the car was made better they wouldn't have to be done at all. Now, manual shifting. Ahh, progress.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:33 PM
fast1
Race Car

Steering, braking and throttle all exert control over the cars acceleration, which affects weight balance, which ultimately determines how much traction is available to make the car go where you want it to go. There is nothing menial about them. Steering, braking and throttle control require great skill. Shifting, not so much. As an instructor I have never seen anyone get into trouble shifting. When people crash its always lack of skill in steering, braking and/or throttle. Never shifting.

Oh sure, its nice when people are able to do it well, but its really not required. Which makes it, you know, menial. In a hundred-plus years we've eliminated hand cranking, manual spark advance, manual choke, a whole slew of menial tasks drivers once took great pride in being able to perform well. Even though, if the car was made better they wouldn't have to be done at all. Now, manual shifting. Ahh, progress.
Although it's been over 20 years since I participated in SCCA races, I can't completely agree with what you posted. I do agree that shifting does not require a great deal of skill, but doing it perfectly thousands of times during the course of a race requires a tremendous amount of concentration. I've seen drivers far more skilled than myself, miss a downshift and run off the track. It's one thing to take a few laps around the track in a non competitive situation; quite another when you race in a competitive event for two hours plus.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:56 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1

So if someone doesn't find PDK boring to drive, it's a no brainer option. Also, if someone encounters stop and go traffic on a regular basis, it's an excellent choice.
I would think a MT is better for stop and go traffic. All the MT die hards enjoy rowing. You get to do more of it (rowing) in stop and go than in other situations. Perfect - right?

I like both. First 911 that I have had with PDK - rest were all MT's. Sometimes I miss the MT. Solution is to have one of each.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:07 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by rodsky
I would think a MT is better for stop and go traffic. All the MT die hards enjoy rowing. You get to do more of it (rowing) in stop and go than in other situations. Perfect - right?

I like both. First 911 that I have had with PDK - rest were all MT's. Sometimes I miss the MT. Solution is to have one of each.
I agree. I drive 25 miles each way to work in Atlanta suburban traffic in my 991C2S w/7mt. After 32k miles, I would change a thing. FYI, my previous DD was an Audi S5 with a floppy paddle gearbox that I grew tired up the first month I bought it.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Same arguments from both camps as in the previous threads. Do you not see a pattern here or you just like to read your stories all over again? While the PDKists are pushing the hand crank and carburetors,the MANUALists are pushing involvement.
I'm no doctor,but isn't it called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder by any chance?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:47 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Same arguments from both camps as in the previous threads. Do you not see a pattern here or you just like to read your stories all over again? While the PDKists are pushing the hand crank and carburetors,the MANUALists are pushing involvement.
I'm no doctor,but isn't it called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder by any chance?
Narcissistic personality disorder is closer.
Old 04-09-2014, 08:47 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For all those who are whining about the familiar nature of this thread...if we're boring you, feel free to move on to something more interesting to you. Complaining here just makes you come off as "trollish" (needlessly/unproductively interfering with a thread), even though that's probably the farthest thing from your intent...

PDK also affects weight balance...negatively. But thanks for making my point, which is: with another few years of "progress", the manufacturers (probably including Porsche) will be selling autonomous cars that will eliminate the necessity to perform any of those functions which you're still willing to admit do have actual value. Then, those functions will be "menial" as well. At that point, are you going to throw in the towel and just sit back with a good book while your car whisks you from one location to another? I'll bet not. I suspect you'll be resisting autonomous operation right along with the rest of us. To some of us, the enjoyment of properly shifting our own manual transmissions falls into that same "valued" category of skills. The line on "progress" is constantly moving. Whether or not "progress" equates to actual improvement or not is always going to be subjective...
Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 PM
fast1
Race Car

For all those who are whining about the familiar nature of this thread...if we're boring you, feel free to move on to something more interesting to you. Complaining here just makes you come off as "trollish" (needlessly/unproductively interfering with a thread), even though that's probably the farthest thing from your intent...

PDK also affects weight balance...negatively. But thanks for making my point, which is: with another few years of "progress", the manufacturers (probably including Porsche) will be selling autonomous cars that will eliminate the necessity to perform any of those functions which you're still willing to admit do have actual value. Then, those functions will be "menial" as well. At that point, are you going to throw in the towel and just sit back with a good book while your car whisks you from one location to another? I'll bet not. I suspect you'll be resisting autonomous operation right along with the rest of us. To some of us, the enjoyment of properly shifting our own manual transmissions falls into that same "valued" category of skills. The line on "progress" is constantly moving. Whether or not "progress" equates to actual improvement or not is always going to be subjective...
There will be overwhelming pressure to move to fully automatted cars from a safety perspective. The argument will be how much is the govenment willing to invest to save 30K lives a year and prevent over two million auto accidents.

An argument always offered by PDK advocates is that technology makes the car faster. Well imagine how fast a car would be on the track if it were controlled by a computer.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:49 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
An argument always offered by PDK advocates is that technology makes the car faster. Well imagine how fast a car would be on the track if it were controlled by a computer.
The argument implicitly offered by PDK detractors is that automotive technology is perched at a global maximum, right now, with stick shift gearboxes. If PDK is one step down the slippery slope, so is everything else that might make a car easier to drive.

This seems unlikely at best.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:16 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Yeah, can you believe how **** some of these people are?

Old 04-09-2014, 11:24 PM
991999R
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Yeah, can you believe how **** some of these people are?

very defensive here today at Rennlist!!!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:36 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Kids won't be happy until they are driving with these. Button clutches are far superior to foot clutches!

Quick Reply: manual vs PDK