Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

manual vs PDK

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

actually i think its a rather clever troll win for there to be two (active) pdk vs mt threads on the two main 991 boards at the same time. GG.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:00 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by chuck911
Steering, braking and throttle all exert control over the cars acceleration, which affects weight balance, which ultimately determines how much traction is available to make the car go where you want it to go. There is nothing menial about them. Steering, braking and throttle control require great skill. Shifting, not so much. As an instructor I have never seen anyone get into trouble shifting. When people crash its always lack of skill in steering, braking and/or throttle. Never shifting.

Oh sure, its nice when people are able to do it well, but its really not required. Which makes it, you know, menial. In a hundred-plus years we've eliminated hand cranking, manual spark advance, manual choke, a whole slew of menial tasks drivers once took great pride in being able to perform well. Even though, if the car was made better they wouldn't have to be done at all. Now, manual shifting. Ahh, progress.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:35 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
actually i think its a rather clever troll win for there to be two (active) pdk vs mt threads on the two main 991 boards at the same time. GG.
Trolls may have started it, but as I recall it was the clever Hobbits who kept the conversation going, while the sun came up, and turned the stupid Trolls to stone.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Trolls may have started it, but as I recall it was the clever Hobbits who kept the conversation going, while the sun came up, and turned the stupid Trolls to stone.
Trolls never go away- that's a myth started by hobbits who never leave the shire. Trolls are a necessary part of the mountain. They aren't necessarily bad, they just troll. Because, normal chat is boring. Always. Anyway - it's a welcome diversion from price threads and loan discussions mixed with leather choices. Bleh, hehe.

Oops and yeah, heart bleed - change your passes to anything remotely valuable. Now.. I've got math to attend.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:48 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicoli35
Trolls never go away- that's a myth started by hobbits who never leave the shire. Trolls are a necessary part of the mountain. They aren't necessarily bad, they just troll.
Finally we are getting somewhere with this thread.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:12 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
For all those who are whining about the familiar nature of this thread...if we're boring you, feel free to move on to something more interesting to you. Complaining here just makes you come off as "trollish" (needlessly/unproductively interfering with a thread), even though that's probably the farthest thing from your intent...

PDK also affects weight balance...negatively. But thanks for making my point, which is: with another few years of "progress", the manufacturers (probably including Porsche) will be selling autonomous cars that will eliminate the necessity to perform any of those functions which you're still willing to admit do have actual value. Then, those functions will be "menial" as well. At that point, are you going to throw in the towel and just sit back with a good book while your car whisks you from one location to another? I'll bet not. I suspect you'll be resisting autonomous operation right along with the rest of us. To some of us, the enjoyment of properly shifting our own manual transmissions falls into that same "valued" category of skills. The line on "progress" is constantly moving. Whether or not "progress" equates to actual improvement or not is always going to be subjective...
Very well put. I find it alarming that people who buy a "drivers car" that supposedly love driving are willing to pay for technology that removes them from driving if it means faster times on paper. There is technology in the works for autonomous cars, even track cars that can figure out the optimum line, speed, braking, etc better than any human. At that point will the PDK buyers also be buying the autonomous technology that completely removes any human interaction from the car since it's the "performance" option?

Part of driving a sports car is using a manual transmission. I'm not opposed to technology making the clutch easier to use, easier shifting, even rev matching downshifts as an option (that you can turn off). What I'm opposed to is manufactures taking away our choice because "computer control is faster" and easier for people to drink drunk/while texting and also for people who won't take the couple days to learn to drive a stick.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:28 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can drive stick. I don't drink or text while I drive. I have had 2 previous 911's with stick. I had both of those at the track. Driving with stick can be fun and enjoyable for many. No one argues that. I didn't buy PDK for extra speed or your ridiculous point about weight balance. I bought PDK because saving 4K wasn't important and i'm sick of shifting. Let me repeat that....I was sick of shifting since It's my DD and I'm in traffic a lot. I guess I'm a lesser driver and my car isn't a real sports car. I still din't care because...you guessed it..... I'm sick of shifting. You will get older as well. And I've had an AMG. And no, a PDK 911 isn't the same as an AMG Mercedes. People who enjoy MT are fine. People who drive PDK are fine. But people who put down one because they drive the other are not fine.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:33 PM
pvr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The important point is that the option for either is there, so at least you satisfy both requirements. The discussion would be different if Porsche was asking - we are dropping one of these, which one should it be ...
Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by pvr
The important point is that the option for either is there, so at least you satisfy both requirements. The discussion would be different if Porsche was asking - we are dropping one of these, which one should it be ...
While the option is there for the 991, its already gone for the GT3 and Turbo. And Porsche isn't asking, because they know which one it will be. We all do.
Old 04-10-2014, 01:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

While the option is there for the 991, its already gone for the GT3 and Turbo. And Porsche isn't asking, because they know which one it will be. We all do.
Excellent point!
Porsche is not asking...they've taken the same attitude with Nick's car,just as they've done in the past in many other cases. The cocky attitude will serve them well in the future...let's see how long the Kool-Aid will last. They might just turn back from " the most profitable car company in the World " to the brink of collapse they have been in the past.
But it's ok,the 4 cyl Turbo 911 with hybrid technology,PDK plus the whole alphabet combined of letters to describe nannies,they can keep... Sell it to the younger generation highly interested in sport cars!
Old 04-10-2014, 04:41 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I never meant to disparage anyone for wanting a PDK. It's a fantastic automatic, possibly the very best one to date, and I'm glad Porsche created it...for people who want an automatic. I'm just tired of being told that I'm backward or old-fashioned because I'm not interested in driving any automatic, no matter how good it is. I'm only shopping Porsches right now because the models that I'm interested in are offered with great manual transmissions. When this is no longer true, I'll stop shopping Porsches. I know they won't notice the loss, and that's fine with me. I'm only 59 right now, but if I someday develop knee or other leg issues and can no longer physically operate a clutch, then I'd be open to considering a PDK, too...just, not until I have to.
Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 1analguy
I'm just tired of being told that I'm backward or old-fashioned because I'm not interested in driving any automatic, no matter how good it is.
Thats totally legit.

And I would say the same goes for the other side, e.g. being told I'm lame because I chose a PDK and am not "in touch" with the full 911 experience... or some such.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:02 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Thats totally legit. And I would say the same goes for the other side, e.g. being told I'm lame because I chose a PDK and am not "in touch" with the full 911 experience... or some such.
So true!
Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Not surprised at the TT is PDK only. It would have been nice to give us the option on the GT3.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:06 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by jlanka
Thats totally legit.

And I would say the same goes for the other side, e.g. being told I'm lame because I chose a PDK and am not "in touch" with the full 911 experience... or some such.
Row, row, row your boat......................

Quick Reply: manual vs PDK