Sponsored by:

Cheesy rear license plate mounting holes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 12:38 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Cheesy rear license plate mounting holes

I recently switched my license plates to custom plates.

I can't believe how crappy the mounting holes are. Just holes drilled into plastic. One of the screws stripped the hole on the way out. Unbelievable.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 AM
DRJX
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a weight saving measure . Having installed or replaced plates on 3 cars over the last few weeks, I do agree that it's not the most robust mounting system. But then, do you really need 4 welded on threaded "nuts" for machine thread screws (Honda) to hold onto the a few ounces of license plate. I think there is a happy medium somewhere in between.

Now, the real problem is what to do with front plates.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:42 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJX
Now, the real problem is what to do with front plates.
Take your license plate to a print shop, have them scan and print it on adhesive vinyl, trim and place as desired. Done right it looks exactly like a metal plate that's been molded to match the car.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
Take your license plate to a print shop, have them scan and print it on adhesive vinyl, trim and place as desired. Done right it looks exactly like a metal plate that's been molded to match the car.
That sounds illegal.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a clear violation of the laws of power
Old 04-15-2014, 10:54 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear license plate mounting was borderline ghetto.
I drilled and tapped for machine screws, because I hate cheesy sheet metal screws.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hammer911
a clear violation of the laws of power
Yeah. Wouldn't want the 911 boys dropping the hammer on him.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:45 PM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
The rear license plate mounting was borderline ghetto.
I drilled and tapped for machine screws, because I hate cheesy sheet metal screws.
I think I'm going to do this. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:46 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

funny, I just washed and waxed my car this weekend and i took the plate off in back to clean and wax the area.
I also added two bottom screws since the dealer only installed two on the top and I could hear the plate rattle sometimes.
I replaced all four screws with equal sized stainless screws (corse thread)
I agree, it's pretty ghetto to just screw into the bumper, but I guess it's tight enough.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:04 PM
Finally911
Intermediate

I just replaced my dealer plate holder with a simple chrome one. I can't believe someone in Porsche engineering green lighted that.

BTW here's the plate holder I used
Amazon.com: Chrome Slim Stainless Steel License Plate Frame with 2 Holes, Lifetime Warranty: Automotive Amazon.com: Chrome Slim Stainless Steel License Plate Frame with 2 Holes, Lifetime Warranty: Automotive
Old 04-16-2014, 02:18 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine is on there naked. I have a cool looking "for-cause" plate that also really compliments the color and I can't find a frame thin enough to not partially block the bottom text. It only came from the dealer with the top 2 screws so I ordered a screw set from AutoGeeks and every screw in the set looks huge, like it would have to be forced into the bottom holes, likely with cracking and stripping, so I just left them out for now until the next service; I'm sure the dealer can spot me a couple screws, Nick's issues notwithstanding.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:33 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I assume from these comments that Porsche does not supply the 991 with the plastic mounting "plate/base" that they did for the 997. I have had two 997.1 and my current 997.2 GTS and they all came with a black rubberized type plastic mounting base that you attached to the rear bumper with two screws, then attached the license plate to that piece of plastic with four screws.

That seemed to be better than just mounting the license plate directly to the bumper, which is what my sales guy did when he transferred my license plate from my old car to the new one. I asked him about the mounting base and he said he didn't think Porsche supplied them any longer, but sure enough, I found it in the frunk, along with the horrendous mounting device for those unfortunate enough to live in states that require front plates.

When I removed my license plate that had been attached directly to the bumper as you guys describe so that I could install the base to attach the license plate to, I noticed that my plate had already begun to rub/scrape the paint some on the rear bumper. I know it is plastic and won't rust, but pretty crappy and cheap for Porsche to expect you to just attach the license plate directly to the rear bumper on a 100K+ car. The mounting base at least keeps the plate slightly off the bumper.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawsofpower
That sounds illegal.
It is.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:15 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I assume from these comments that Porsche does not supply the 991 with the plastic mounting "plate/base" that they did for the 997. I have had two 997.1 and my current 997.2 GTS and they all came with a black rubberized type plastic mounting base that you attached to the rear bumper with two screws, then attached the license plate to that piece of plastic with four screws. That seemed to be better than just mounting the license plate directly to the bumper, which is what my sales guy did when he transferred my license plate from my old car to the new one. I asked him about the mounting base and he said he didn't think Porsche supplied them any longer, but sure enough, I found it in the frunk, along with the horrendous mounting device for those unfortunate enough to live in states that require front plates. When I removed my license plate that had been attached directly to the bumper as you guys describe so that I could install the base to attach the license plate to, I noticed that my plate had already begun to rub/scrape the paint some on the rear bumper. I know it is plastic and won't rust, but pretty crappy and cheap for Porsche to expect you to just attach the license plate directly to the rear bumper on a 100K+ car. The mounting base at least keeps the plate slightly off the bumper.
Hi unfortunately I only had one bracket and it was for the front. Would it be possible to take a picture or let us know what the part number is? Thanks !!!
Old 04-18-2014, 09:28 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
Hi unfortunately I only had one bracket and it was for the front. Would it be possible to take a picture or let us know what the part number is? Thanks !!!
I should be receiving my new registration sticker in the mail in the next few days. I usually take the license plate off the car to scrape the old sticker off before putting the new one one. I will try and take a picture then and post it.

The part might not even work with a 991 unless the bumper is predrilled for the two screws used to mount the part on the bumper.

Quick Reply: Cheesy rear license plate mounting holes