Sponsored by:

991 issues update and lemon law filling new video

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:22 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I would seriously, seriously consider NOT installing a radar system in your new car if you get another 911. Although it could all be coincidence, having so many electrical problems after having a radar system wired to your car, it seems logical to think that system install was the cause of at least some of the subsequent issues.
Deleted. Duplicate post.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 AM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I would seriously, seriously consider NOT installing a radar system in your new car if you get another 911. Although it could all be coincidence, having so many electrical problems after having a radar system wired to your car, it seems logical to think that system install was the cause of at least some of the subsequent issues.
Didn't he also have a video camera wired in also? Does make you wonder.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3

Didn't he also have a video camera wired in also?.
2 cameras.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:00 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Seems like most people are on board with Nick.......its how they see it

But obviously more to the story, a lot more.

As he stated in his last video, his car was great for the first few months ?? so what happened really ?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:25 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
2 cameras.
wait... so he installed a radar system and two aftermarket cameras and the electrical systems went crazy? Hmmmmmmmmm.......
Old 04-21-2014, 10:41 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Just glad you got the response from Porsche and they will finally step up and do what they should had done when you initially requested a replacement or your money back.

I sure hope you stick around and get another 911. These are great cars that provide, on a daily basis, the best sport car experience. You really get spoiled after driving a 911 on a daily basis. Nothing else comes close.

And to those that are looking at this and criticizing what he did... I would have done the same. Companies need to be reminded that they need to treat the customer right. Specially when it is due to a product defect or improver serviced vehicle.

Now, back to regular programing...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
wait... so he installed a radar system and two aftermarket cameras and the electrical systems went crazy? Hmmmmmmmmm.......
I don't disagree where you are going with this, although I personally do not install aftermarket electronics of any kind in my car just for these kinds of reasons.. but from his posts earlier they were installed by the dealer.

While I do not have a wired radar detector system in my car, I do know I was given a hard sell by the dealer when I purchased my car to have this and other electronics installed claiming that they do not void the warranty and are professionally installed.

If, If Nick was sold the system in the same way, it really is the Porsche Dealers problem. IMO, if these problems were caused by these things, PCNA should bill the dealer for the car they have to buy back. At the very least it puts and end to these kind of dealer shenanigans.

On another note, Nick's car was loaded to the hilt with electronic options, including that ACC system which I really wanted to get on my order but refrained because I have met no one who has not had a problem with these things in either BMW, Audi or Porsche cars all of which use successive generations of the same Bosch system. So, this is an object lesson to Porsche also.. by all means, sell the high priced electronics gizmos which we all like, but have better QC and insist your suppliers do to.

In reality, it could have been any of the above, combination thereof or something else. In the end, I am happy with the resolution Nick got. It also sets a good, somewhat public precedent for others who are having problems like these to get PCNA to deal with them in a manner befitting the purchase price of these cars.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 AM
kosmo
Race Director

^ agreed, these cars, while far from perfect are really fantastic cars.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Porsche as a company has very interesting approach to customer service. They abuse concept of "free will" as it applies to failures that are in mass related to original faulty design. Same failure may get covered by factory if you are on your 4th p-car, a first time buyer will get a plain rejection response from pcna and that's the end of it.

It took class action lawsuit to force them to shell out for all the broken engines in 996 and 2005 997 cars and despite having same damn design in post 2005 cars no one expects much from them now. Some of my friends had an unfortunate experince to communicate with pcna and they eventually got rid of their cars. Only salvation here is that p-cars in general are quite reliable and most of us do not have to communicate with those jerks. But those who had to usually are not very happy.
Till this day I am not sure how the heck they got away for so long with that... Not only were the engines crap, but also the quality of the interiors was awful... the change in 2005 for the interior was a welcomed one... but they engines remained with the same problem... Only Turbo cars were exempt from the engine issues but not the interior.... I alway steer my friends away from those years for N/A cars... not worth the risk.

It was a sad day when Porsche stopped using the same engine/blocks that they used for racing, in the cars they sold their customers... Because the message they send is "well, these engines are not worthy of a track, but here, use them for your daily travels..." Not what they were known for... can't wait until they start selling what they race again (without having to buy a GT3RSR of course...)...
Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

They've found exposed wires in the door that were grounding on the chassis! What does that have to do with an aftermarket radar system and cameras?! Those findings(pictures) were sent to Nick by PCNA,basically agreeing that there's a problem with the car's electrical system.
Does anyone think that if PCNA would've been able to to establish that the radar and cameras were to be blamed for what was happening,they would've given his money back?! Hilarious!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Team Plutonium
Drifting

I rooted for Nick, and I think Porsche handled it badly, but anytime you start modding you expose yourself to issues. I come from a heavily modded e92 M3 and rocked a CEL on a regular basis... and although a radar system and cameras are fairly minor you do run the risk of complications. And unfortunately that gives the manufacture an easy way out, or at least the opportunity to give the customer some ****. So if you don't ever wanna deal with warranty issues - leave the car alone.

Originally Posted by rpilot
I don't disagree where you are going with this, although I personally do not install aftermarket electronics of any kind in my car just for these kinds of reasons.. but from his posts earlier they were installed by the dealer.

While I do not have a wired radar detector system in my car, I do know I was given a hard sell by the dealer when I purchased my car to have this and other electronics installed claiming that they do not void the warranty and are professionally installed.

If, If Nick was sold the system in the same way, it really is the Porsche Dealers problem. IMO, if these problems were caused by these things, PCNA should bill the dealer for the car they have to buy back. At the very least it puts and end to these kind of dealer shenanigans.

On another note, Nick's car was loaded to the hilt with electronic options, including that ACC system which I really wanted to get on my order but refrained because I have met no one who has not had a problem with these things in either BMW, Audi or Porsche cars all of which use successive generations of the same Bosch system. So, this is an object lesson to Porsche also.. by all means, sell the high priced electronics gizmos which we all like, but have better QC and insist your suppliers do to.

In reality, it could have been any of the above, combination thereof or something else. In the end, I am happy with the resolution Nick got. It also sets a good, somewhat public precedent for others who are having problems like these to get PCNA to deal with them in a manner befitting the purchase price of these cars.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:38 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I rooted for Nick, and I think Porsche handled it badly, but anytime you start modding you expose yourself to issues. I come from a heavily modded e92 M3 and rocked a CEL on a regular basis... and although a radar system and cameras are fairly minor you do run the risk of complications. And unfortunately that gives the manufacture an easy way out, or at least the opportunity to give the customer some ****. So if you don't ever wanna deal with warranty issues - leave the car alone.
Let me get this right... I expose myself if I plug into the cigarette lighter socket a multi-plug to run the power for two cameras and a radar detector? Really?

I can see the issue if I start slicing into the car's wire harness... but plug-in stuff, come on!!
Old 04-21-2014, 11:47 AM
kosmo
Race Director

to this day I cant figure out the whole IMS issue. If there was no issue, as P has claimed, why the redesign in '06?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:50 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1. I think that is pretty much what I was getting at irrespective of Nick's experience.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:51 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
to this day I cant figure out the whole IMS issue. If there was no issue, as P has claimed, why the redesign in '06?
And then again in '09, correct?

Quick Reply: 991 issues update and lemon law filling new video