Sponsored by:

Tuning the base stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 05:37 PM
DRJX
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning the base stereo

I was just reading the Bose tuning thread and figured it would be more appropriate to start a new thread to discuss settling for the base stereo.

I'm having a hard time getting good sound out of the base stereo - it just sounds flat. Any suggestions?

Also, the satellite radio sounds even flatter than regular FM (I don't have HD radio). Is that normal?
Old 04-16-2014, 05:41 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Satellite radio uses a compressed signal, FM is much better.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

What is your source material? Have you tried uncompressed audio files like FLAC or Apple Lossless?
Old 04-17-2014, 03:44 AM
DRJX
Track Day

Just some run of the mill MP3 files or FM. I'm not expecting Burmester performance out of the base stereo, but the base stereo in my 3-series makes the 991's stereo feel like the headphones the airlines use to give out for free.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:29 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'll have to do a test, but I'll bet that the stock stereo won't play FLAC. Even so, it won't matter. I think the weak point is the speaker and amplifier combination. OK, weak points. You're not going to hear the subtle improvements with a better source, at least not while the car is moving and you're fighting all of the road noise, exhaust sounds, etc.

Anyway, yes, Sat radio sucks, that's why I saved some money and didn't get it on my 991. I've had it on BMWs, Porsches, Mercedes and Audi, and it sucks consistently.

My settings for the base radio are currently: Loudness off, bass up a few notches and fade toward the rear a bit.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:37 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Is there no way to connect a source like an iPod to the base system?
Old 04-17-2014, 11:38 AM
RIndy
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Is there no way to connect a source like an iPod to the base system?
yes, I've connected my ipod to the base system via usb jack in glove box. Interface is great, sound still sucks.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:42 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Okay, so there are no settings that will make the basic system sound real good. No surprise there. Best you are going to get is to play uncompressed audio files from something like an iPod. From there it all depends on how much time, money and effort you're willing to put into it, and how much better you want it to be. What's the goal?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:32 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My two most recent previous 911s both had Bose systems, and I didn't care for them. I "test drove" the Bermester system before I ordered my car, and it sounds great sitting in a parking lot. Driving on the road, eh... not so much. There's just too much ambient noise. That's why I saved the money and just got the base system. If you're sitting in traffic, turn on the radio. If you're driving, just turn it off and downshift.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:42 PM
barihunk
Advanced

Originally Posted by chuck911
What is your source material? Have you tried uncompressed audio files like FLAC or Apple Lossless?
*flame suit on*

Absolutely LOVE how one of the first few responses to "how can I make my stereo sound better" is always "were you listening to FLAC" as if data rate and compression were the be all end all of sound quality. IMHO the difference in quality between FLAC/ALAC and high bit rate AAC/MP3, while easily discernible, is minimal compared to something like sat or AM radio. Loudspeaker and amp design usually play a far more important part in reproduction quality than source.

Weird audiophile opinions aside, back to the OP. I did a bit of listening some time ago and it seems to me as if the base stereo is tuned weirdly - there appears to be a mid treble bump in response that is oddly sibilant and cannot be controlled by the treble adjustment (and yes this is FLAC verified for the golden ears out there). It doesn't really render the base stereo bad for me, but just oddly fatiguing. Also agree that the 3 series audio (US cars get the higher end option from the ROW parts bin actually) is much more balanced and pleasant to listen to even at moderate volumes.

I bumped the treble/bass setting up a notch (+2 each) on the base stereo, and now I either have talk radio on when I'm in the 991, turn the volume way up (bad for health), or just shift at 6000+rpm so I hear the thing I paid for (engine). YMMV of course. I've yet to see a reasonable upgrade kit for the speakers and amp, but I'm definitely on the look out for something that would be a direct swap, preferably with some focal drivers. That or some louder pipes to listen to instead of the radio.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:11 PM
DRJX
Track Day

I think barihunk said it well. I'm not expecting top notch performance from the base stereo (or from any car stereo). And, my wife says I'm basically deaf. But, when the non-HD FM in my 3-series sounds better than the run-of-the-mill MP3 in the 991 (and the same MP3 sounds even better in the 3-series), I can rule out the media as the limiting factor.

My typical settings are bass and treble both +2, and fade rear.

I'd like a free improvement in sound quality, and I might be willing to put a little money into it (leased). But, if those options are not available, then I'll listen to NPR and drive in a lower gear .
Old 04-20-2014, 11:20 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJX
I think barihunk said it well. I'm not expecting top notch performance from the base stereo (or from any car stereo). And, my wife says I'm basically deaf. But, when the non-HD FM in my 3-series sounds better than the run-of-the-mill MP3 in the 991 (and the same MP3 sounds even better in the 3-series), I can rule out the media as the limiting factor.

My typical settings are bass and treble both +2, and fade rear.

I'd like a free improvement in sound quality, and I might be willing to put a little money into it (leased). But, if those options are not available, then I'll listen to NPR and drive in a lower gear .

There's a sound system in my 991? Seriously, I just listen to news, traffic info and whatever is on NPR.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:00 PM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJX
I was just reading the Bose tuning thread and figured it would be more appropriate to start a new thread to discuss settling for the base stereo.

I'm having a hard time getting good sound out of the base stereo - it just sounds flat. Any suggestions?

Also, the satellite radio sounds even flatter than regular FM (I don't have HD radio). Is that normal?
I hate to be negative here, but the base stereo is among the least enjoyable car stereos of any premium or even standard cars sold today. The Bose is only marginally better to some.

In the 991, you either pony up for the Burmester if you want a real sound system or you just listen to the engine sound track.

Tuning the base stereo wont do a whole lot to cut down on the inherent sibilance of the amp, although XM is an abomination sound quality wise anyway. Use your plugged in ipod or a CD for music. Set Base, Treble & fade to your preferences. The Midfrequencies are extremely weak anyway.

Quick Reply: Tuning the base stereo