Sponsored by:

Real weight saving ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 01:58 PM
Stevie 911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real weight saving ?

Hello to all, I've been studying this forum for a while now (which has been very helpful) as I've been in the hunt for a 991s. I'm looking for a performance optioned model c2s or 4s and have been having a difficult time finding a manual trans. I'm trying to avoid building one and the waiting game. But I think I did find a 2014 carrera S almost perfect except for 2 things. 1) no sunroof 2) has sport design package with ducktail ( which I have mixed feelings for).
The car is Mexico blue with sport techno wheels in black & looks amazing in pics. I have yet to travel out to the dealer to see the car in person. I phoned dealer who stated he personally custom ordered this particular car and purposely skipped the sunroof and chose the ducktail to make it more of a driving enthusiasts car. He claims by doing this there is a weight savings of approximately 200 pounds.
My question: Is his weight savings estimation accurate at all & will I miss the sunroof
Btw, said car has PDCC W/PASM, SE, SC, SPORT STEERING WHEEL, YELLOW GUAGES & SEATBELTS, to name a few.

I am 49 y/o & this will be my first Porsche. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like a beautiful car, but you certainly will not be able to keep a low profile! May be a bit much for a daily driver depending on your personality and need for attention. I'm impartial on the sunroof, although I do have it in my car. Most likely the weight savings is immaterial for your use of the car. (Doesn't feel like mine is going to tip over!) The ability to slightly open or tilt the roof is nice if you find yourself driving with one window down, to mitigate buffeting in the cabin.

I think the ducktail looks good with the Mexico Blue...kind of a retro feel to both the tail and the color in my opinion. Just go drive it. Good luck!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:39 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

200 pounds is an exaggeration. Personally I hate the look of the sunroof open but you can't tell when your sitting in it. I couldn't car less about the sunroof though I wish my cars didn't have it.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

200 lbs for a sunroof? Sounds like a complete lie. When I know someone is lying I don't trust anything else they have to say. Ask him where that number came from. I'd be surprised if it were even 50 lbs. One other thing, I know it's personal but I love my sunroof and that is one of the reasons I passed on the GT3. The glass sunroof makes the inside very airy and you can just use the pop-up feature if you don't like how it looks open. Oh ya, one last thing, if you REALLY want to save weight then save on unsprung weight.......PCCB's.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Sunroof is more like 50 lb is right, but its up high and that's the worst place to have it. If you want a light car, then leave off many of the options, including the upgraded power seats and stereos. The 14 / 18 way seat is quite a bit heavier than the standard seats, I'm told around 30 lb per seat but I don't know that for sure. PCCB brakes will save a lot of unsprung weight as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:14 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 310 Likes on 185 Posts

The weight of the sunroof in a 991C2S is not noticeable. The ability to pop it open to beat the buffeting with a window down or just for the ventilation at highway speeds (for those who actually do that rather than use the AC) is however, great. Thats the way I use mine in any case. I rarely open it all the way and would not miss it if a car I found and liked did not have it. The build you describe sounds like a very interesting and unique car, with lots of the right stuff.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:16 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally like my glass sunroof even just for the light it lets into the cabin, which helps create an airy, open feel. Agree with others who have said that a 200 pound penalty for a sunroof sounds way over-stated. The Mexico Blue car will be a looker, that's for sure.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ordered my car without the sunroof as I did not want the extra weight over my head as I track the car often. I also don't use the sunroof much on my other cars that do have it, so don't miss it. However, I would think the weight is somewhere around 50lbs as suggested by others, nowhere close to 200 lbs.

Am I a good enough driver to notice the difference? Probably not, but I still like it without a sunroof.

Maybe he was suggesting the ducktail is filled with helium and reduces the weight of the car? It is possible that without the raising and lowering mechanicals it is a bit lighter than the stock wing, although I would think 10-20 lbs tops.

As for the build, I love the color, am personally so-so with the ducktail and did not chose the PDCC for my car, but know others like it. My preference when spending $100k+ on a car was to order it just how I wanted it and deal with the wait. Two years in, I love every time I get into the car and don't have any regrets. At the time, the wait was an annoyance, but is a distant memory now.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:06 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 129 Posts

If you plan on owning the car for a while you shouldn't settle if the sunroof is something you want. Everyone wants something different. My car has the sunroof in glass. I really wanted a 4S that my dealer had with no sunroof.

You can always change the wheels and ducktail later if you really like the color. The dealer is going to tell you whatever they please to sell a car. If you want a MT don't settle! get what you want!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Stevie 911
Track Day

Thanks for the input so far, I think the sales rep means 200 pounds weight savings combined between no sunroof and ducktail replacing active aero rising wing and mechanism. I also believe he is greatly exaggerating in defense of his build. He only mentioned the weight savings when I asked him why he added all the expensive goodies and skipped on the sunroof. I did critique the expensive color option and I told him I would have checked the glass sunroof box if building it myself because I thought the black glass roof color would pop with the Mexico blue & black sport techno wheels.If the sales rep is BS-ing me I don't appreciate that.
I don't think the lack of a sunroof would be a deal breaker since the sunroof opens partially anyway. This Mexico blue is a hot color but I worry it could be a difficult sell if & when that time comes. Please let me know your opinions thanks
Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

sounds like a bunch of BS about 200lb savings for just the sunroof, maybe he meant overall for all of the options--still seems like BS.

I love the ducktail and front fascia--it was a must for me. I also have the black Technos and like them as well. I ordered my car and deliberated over the sunroof, but settled on the glass one. It does look goofy when it's opened, but it is nice to open and listen to the PSE

Curious what the yellow seat belts and gauges look like on the car--seems like too many colors to me.
Any pics?

BTW, I love Mexico Blue--car sounds great overall (if it doesn't have PSE get it installed!)
Old 04-30-2014, 06:28 PM
BlackSpeed
Advanced

Originally Posted by Stevie 911
Thanks for the input so far, I think the sales rep means 200 pounds weight savings combined between no sunroof and ducktail replacing active aero rising wing and mechanism. I also believe he is greatly exaggerating in defense of his build. He only mentioned the weight savings when I asked him why he added all the expensive goodies and skipped on the sunroof. I did critique the expensive color option and I told him I would have checked the glass sunroof box if building it myself because I thought the black glass roof color would pop with the Mexico blue & black sport techno wheels.If the sales rep is BS-ing me I don't appreciate that.
I don't think the lack of a sunroof would be a deal breaker since the sunroof opens partially anyway. This Mexico blue is a hot color but I worry it could be a difficult sell if & when that time comes. Please let me know your opinions thanks
I just thought the same thing, maybe he was able to shave 200lbs total (isn't the MT lighter too?)

Think about a lease if you're concerned about resale--if negotiated correctly, it can be a very nice way to get into a car like this w/o much of the risk and capital outlay. I own a business, so it was a no brainer for me since I can expense it and I didn't have to pay over $8k in sales tax
Old 04-30-2014, 07:19 PM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 67 Posts

PDK adds 45 lbs
Old 04-30-2014, 07:41 PM
socalsteve
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevie 911
Just remember one thing in dealing with salespeople and dealerships as a whole...they are there to do one thing and that is sell cars. They will say, promise and do anything to get you to spend your hard earned money.

Be very wary of this gentleman, he is not to be trusted.

Good luck and hope you figure out and buy what you are looking for...
Old 04-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackBeauty
PDK adds 45 lbs
Ohhh SNAP!

Sent from mobile using Rennlist
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Real weight saving ?