Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 12:21 AM
RedShiftC4S
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C4S because -
1. MUCH greater safety margin on dry, wet or snow
2. 95% rear wheel bias under most dry conditions, personal experience
3. Check resale values of 30th Anniversary 911s to predict future market of the 50th
4. Awesome fun in the snow
5. Watch C4S Evo review
Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 AM
Mcx
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Each to their own for sure. The whole package of the 50th sold itself to me, but I ordered it how I wanted. The graphite paint has really grown on me.. traditionally had bright colours.. guards or speed yellow. Get the spec you want, or a significantly larger discount imho.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:32 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

EXACTLY! To each their own. Clearly those with the 4S are telling you to go that route. The 911/50 peeps have their reasons. Just because I don't like 4wd doesn't mean it's bad. Clearly, many prefer it. This isn't technical advice; it's totally subjective so you are on your own. If you don't like the 911/50 colors then clearly don't get it. Interesting though, I was at an exotic car rally that started as a usual cars and coffee. Two avantadors, McLarens,turbo's....you name it and it was there. I was astounded by the attention my graphite grey 911/50 got. So many came over to say it was the most lovely color they had seen on a 911 and they also loved all the chrome on the grill etc. Even the wheels were a hit. I bought it for me but having so many admire it was surprising. Personally, I liked the brand new F12 and 458 speciale that showed up. The only one true fact is that if you intend to drive in the snow get the 4wd. Otherwise, and I honestly mean this, the opinions you get here(on non technical issues) are worth 2 cents. Everyone ALWAYS defends what they purchased. I'm just as bad as everyone else.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:40 AM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I say the C4S. The PDK is fast, but after a few miles you'll miss the MT. Unless you're trying to set world records on the track the driving experience is more important than 1/10th of a sec diff.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:14 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Wrong Max. Just plain wrong. True for you...not everyone. I have had MT on 2 precious 911'a and I love my PDK. How do you know he will miss it? I don't... At all. I wish people would stop giving PDK/MT advice. It's totally subjective. Both are excellent. Don't try and sway him because you prefer a particular transmission. To the OP. Don't listen to Max or me or anyone else regarding PDK/MT. You will have to decide yourself. When I had my first PDK (997.2) it was the first one my dealer sold. I had only owned MT prior to that. I agonized but in the end I loved it. However, the MT is amazing as well. Both are awesome. You will have to decide what's best for you with test drives. If I told you what colors I preferred would you care? Test drive multiple times to be sure what's best for you. Not me or Max. Sorry Max.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Wrong Max. Just plain wrong. True for you...not everyone. I have had MT on 2 precious 911'a and I love my PDK. How do you know he will miss it? I don't... At all. I wish people would stop giving PDK/MT advice. It's totally subjective. Both are excellent. Don't try and sway him because you prefer a particular transmission. To the OP. Don't listen to Max or me or anyone else regarding PDK/MT. You will have to decide yourself. When I had my first PDK (997.2) it was the first one my dealer sold. I had only owned MT prior to that. I agonized but in the end I loved it. However, the MT is amazing as well. Both are awesome. You will have to decide what's best for you with test drives. If I told you what colors I preferred would you care? Test drive multiple times to be sure what's best for you. Not me or Max. Sorry Max.
+1. In my experience, whenever someone tries to sell a subjective judgement call as if it were an objective matter, they're secretly trying to convince themselves, rather than persuade anyone else.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:21 PM
Weim911
Instructor

I went to the dealer to buy a manual... I drove the PDK at my dealers request and absolutely fell in love. IMHO.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:13 PM
Stevie 911
Track Day

How did pdk vs manual get in the mix, I'm comparing C4S vs. 911 50th, both my2014, both manual transmissions
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Ask Max. In any case same goes for 2wd vs 4wd. Very subjective unless you are planning to drive in the snow. If thats the case then 4wd hands down. No winter driving? Then drive both. It's also subjective. Remember that most journalists get the cars for a few hours or a few days at the most. Take their advice with a grain of salt as well.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Stevie 911
How did pdk vs manual get in the mix, I'm comparing C4S vs. 911 50th, both my2014, both manual transmissions
Fect's Corollary to Godwin's Law: Any discussion of Porsches will eventually devolve into a debate regarding the relative merits of PDK versus stick-shift transmissions.
Old 05-22-2014, 04:32 AM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know how anyone can compare a RWD 'S' against the C4S. Totally different machines in terms of balance and steering feel. Instead of asking online, go drive them both and see what you prefer...simple!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Totally agree about driving both but do you really believe they are TOTALLY different? Really? Totally different feel? Really?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:15 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by RedShiftC4S
C4S because -
1. MUCH greater safety margin on dry, wet or snow
2. 95% rear wheel bias under most dry conditions, personal experience
3. Check resale values of 30th Anniversary 911s to predict future market of the 50th
4. Awesome fun in the snow
5. Watch C4S Evo review Porsche 911 Carrera 4S | evo REVIEW - YouTube
evo did a great job with that video. I watched it a few times when it first came out, but it was nice to take another look at it.

Originally Posted by LA Brit
I don't know how anyone can compare a RWD 'S' against the C4S. Totally different machines in terms of balance and steering feel. Instead of asking online, go drive them both and see what you prefer...simple!
Indeed, the difference in how the balance and steering feel is considerable.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:39 PM
LA Brit
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Totally agree about driving both but do you really believe they are TOTALLY different? Really? Totally different feel? Really?
Yup.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:21 PM
shaytun
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like the 911/50 because it is a good value to me (Powerkit with PSE, SPASM) and has the wider body. BUT, it comes down to liking the way it looks. The Fuchs wheels have grown on me. But I'm not a fan of the chrome accents especially across the rear bumper. Just seems out of place.
If you need 4WD because of the weather, then it's the C4S.
If not, go with whichever you think looks better. Obviously, 1964 people will be strongly drawn to the design of the 50th.
In terms of steering feel, I'm sure there is a minor difference in feel (I trust the EVO review). But to say it's totally different is probably an exaggeration. I'm sure if someone told you the exhaust is louder on one or the other, you can convince yourself it is.

Quick Reply: Deciding between C4S or 911 50th