Sponsored by:

Local oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 12:29 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 240 Posts
Default Local oil change

Earlier today I had my oil changed by a local car wash and oil change place down the street from where I work. I am happy to report that it was very reasonable in cost....$40 labor. I supplied the oil and ordered the filter from Suncoast. So total expenditure was about $130 or so.

Before I went this route I called my local Porsche dealer and explained that the car had the full service at 9000 miles and I didn't really need another full service a year later with only 13000 miles. I did however want an oil change. He informed me that he wanted me to be happy and the cost for the oil change alone would be $300.

Just wanted to let everyone know that the oil change is not difficult and local shops with a little know how should be able to do it for far less than the dealers.

I live in south jersey. If anyone needs the name or number of the place that did it for me feel fee to shoot me a pm.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:03 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 731 Posts

You took a $100 k + car to a car wash for an oil change. You are a brave soul.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 AM
Zohan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the job done right you have to do with yourself.
Very easy to do and cheaper too. M1 oil $25 for 5qt at Wally World and $13 for ebay filter. $73 total.
And I would pay for them not to wash it
Old 06-19-2014, 08:23 AM
neil.schneider
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 240 Posts

I had a history of taking my Cayman there for oil changes without any issues. I felt confident that they could handle the job. And I asked them not to wash it.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:17 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Zohan
If you want the job done right you have to do it yourself.
Agreed. Riskiest thing you can do is let someone work on your car. I bet the guy whose headlight popped out was confident of the guys who did that work as well. You pays your money . . .
Old 06-20-2014, 12:13 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I would certainly never take my 911 to a Jiffy Lube or any other place like that - car wash, etc, etc. But hey, if it worked out for you, then that's your prerogative.

A 991 oil change is easy enough to do yourself - just for future reference. Parts are cheap, and it took me maybe 30 minutes but that's just because it was my first time taking off the engine cover plastic bits. Next one will be quicker. Mine was $80 total parts and oil.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:10 AM
ruhlich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, all you guys have inexpensive solutions to the oil change issue.......but how are you getting the pesky "service" indicator reset?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll need Durametric s/w or equivalent. I did a 2-yr anniversary oil/filter change this week, and had an indie change the brake fluid and reset the service warning with his Durametric s/w. At first it wouldn't reset, so I suggested checking for updates. Sure enough when he updated to vers 6.5 from 6.2, the reset worked fine. Takes about a min to reset but the dealer may charge $$.

Spyder
Old 06-22-2014, 12:28 AM
ruhlich
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TSpyder
You'll need Durametric s/w or equivalent. I did a 2-yr anniversary oil/filter change this week, and had an indie change the brake fluid and reset the service warning with his Durametric s/w. At first it wouldn't reset, so I suggested checking for updates. Sure enough when he updated to vers 6.5 from 6.2, the reset worked fine. Takes about a min to reset but the dealer may charge $$.

Spyder
Thanks.........I'm going to order one.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

With all due respect I find it baffling that people are willing to pay $100K for their car, but they object at paying the dealer $300 for an oil change. In my area the charge is $270 which includes a loaner, a car wash, and interior vacuum.
There is one potential advantage of having your car serviced by a Porsche dealership, which may not be evident to those who are new to the Porsche family. The dealer who serviced your car will act as your advoate when a good will request is made after warranty expiration. Dealers have acted as my adocate on several occassions in having Porsche pay for repairs long after the warraty expired. I never tottaled up the money I saved for these good will repairs, but they easily offset most if not all of the premiums that I paid for dealer service charges.
Old 06-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

It is possible that some people PREFER to do it themselves. I for one much prefer to, whether it's a $25k jeep wrangler, my 991 or a Bugatti Veyron. There's satisfaction in job done right, seeing the engineering that goes into your car's mechanical bits, etc. Or perhaps for those of us who buying this vehicle represents a lifelong goal and a physical manifestation of the posters on the wall of our rooms back in the day, simply sitting on a stool drinking a beer while the oil drains affords us the opportunity to look at the car and reflect on our good fortune.

O
Old 06-22-2014, 06:16 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
With all due respect I find it baffling that people are willing to pay $100K for their car, but they object at paying the dealer $300 for an oil change. In my area the charge is $270 which includes a loaner, a car wash, and interior vacuum.
There is one potential advantage of having your car serviced by a Porsche dealership, which may not be evident to those who are new to the Porsche family. The dealer who serviced your car will act as your advoate when a good will request is made after warranty expiration. Dealers have acted as my adocate on several occassions in having Porsche pay for repairs long after the warraty expired. I never tottaled up the money I saved for these good will repairs, but they easily offset most if not all of the premiums that I paid for dealer service charges.
That is true. My BMW dealer advocated for me to get new cylinder heads for my e39 M5 at well over 100k miles, long after the warranty expired.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:58 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 415 Likes on 181 Posts

Durametric? Had a bad experience with these guys a couple of years ago. Anyone know of another vendor of a reset device?
Old 06-23-2014, 03:24 PM
gt3fantasy
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dude174
It is possible that some people PREFER to do it themselves. I for one much prefer to, whether it's a $25k jeep wrangler, my 991 or a Bugatti Veyron. There's satisfaction in job done right, seeing the engineering that goes into your car's mechanical bits, etc. Or perhaps for those of us who buying this vehicle represents a lifelong goal and a physical manifestation of the posters on the wall of our rooms back in the day, simply sitting on a stool drinking a beer while the oil drains affords us the opportunity to look at the car and reflect on our good fortune.

O
+1
its like exactly came out of my mouth....the only thing I would add is, this and my other car is a daily driver so oil change is about twice a year, so I save about $600 and having the satisfaction of doing it myself and cleaning the engine bay while I'm at it.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:53 PM
scatkins
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
Yeah, not sure why it makes sense to pay $300 for a $100 value.. By that logic what amount of overcharging is worth it for a 100K car? is $600 ok as well.

I'm not so much about trying to be cheap, just don't like paying for new furniture in the dealer show room and as it is 911's have the highest margin of any car out there.

Personally, I don't buy into the to belief that somehow frequenting the dealer makes it any more likely to be their advocate for good will for out of warranty work. I've never had much luck with that kind of thing, and at best it is a wish that will likely never come true. As it is I've got 3 different dealers I can frequent, so should I only go to one of them in hopes that one will remember me and do me a favor in 5 years? No thanks I'll save the money and have my trivial maintenance done more cost effectively.

In reality for the stuff I'm not willing to do myself I hook up with a good indie.. But most of the general maintenance is pretty trivial and I tend to enjoy doing it.

Quick Reply: Local oil change