Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire replacement stress

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:02 AM
wanderfalke
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flat tires on a porsche are such a hard issue. I have a tire that loses about one psi a week the car is so low and the clearance above the wheel is so tight it is very hard to check for a nail or screw when it is sitting in my garage. Makes me wonder what i would do at night on the road if I had a flat with a tire plug kit.

How did the OP receive a new car with goodyears I thought it was zero's all the way.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,128 Likes on 674 Posts

I dread the day I get a flat.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:33 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 406 Posts

I noticed that there were quite a few 911's with Goodyears but the wide body cars that require the 305 on the rear still getting the PO's.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:57 AM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have replaced 3 rear tires total on my C2 with 19's (one pair from wear, one that got a nail then bubbled from running low). From TireRack I got them for around $335 each (Yikes! I see they're now listed for $396 each!). They have a warehouse in Shreveport, LA so regular UPS is overnight to my house.
Local tire shop I use mounts and balances them for $25 each so much, much cheaper than what OP paid.

As far as suing someone because you had a flat and didn't have a spare? Good luck with that, really silly. The first car I owned with summer performance tires and no spare was a an E46 M3. Since then I've had another 9 cars without spares, it's just the way it is nowadays. I've only had to call for help once, I'll take my chances.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:18 AM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderfalke
How did the OP receive a new car with goodyears I thought it was zero's all the way.
Base models, with the 19"wheels get Goodyears.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

joys of driving...
Old 08-28-2014, 02:10 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,261 Posts

Originally Posted by lunarx
Base models, with the 19"wheels get Goodyears.
A good reason not to get a base model ...
Old 08-28-2014, 03:32 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It sure would be nice to see car manufacturers put spares in the car again. I get SO many calls from frustrated customers looking for the spare that they thought was the there when they bought the car.

Feel free to call me in the future. I had those OEM Goodyears in stock. Delivery would have likely been overnight, and for a heck of a lot less than a dealership!
Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM
mtbscott
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
I had those OEM Goodyears in stock. Delivery would have likely been overnight, and for a heck of a lot less than a dealership!

Damon, if you saw my post, I mentioned having bought 3 of the OEM rears from you for around $335, now they're $396! Why the huge price hike?
Old 08-28-2014, 04:17 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Our prices go up or down all the time based on the market cost to us on the tire. Market may have gone up a bit on these. I show past pricing to be be pretty consistent at $396 each.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Damon includes an eggroll with each order- The shipments come that fast!!
Old 08-28-2014, 11:24 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I've been buying tires from Tire Rack since before the internet. I want to say since they were advertising in the back of R&T in the 1980's. Anyway, long time. Always great service, great prices, and most importantly, they always had the info to help pick the best tires. They have the volume, so you're always getting nice sticky smooth-riding fresh tires, not ones losing grip sitting in someone's shop six months or longer. Nowaday's they are so big they have warehouses across the country and drop-ship to thousands of installers. Maybe the OP's answer is to just carry Damon's Tire Rack business card in his wallet?
Old 08-29-2014, 02:15 AM
Tapeworm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish Porsche would actually design the car for run flats for exactly this reason. A GTR was designed from the start for run flats, so the suspension is tuned for the stiffer sidewall and the tires work really well - ask any GT3 owner who has tried to keep up with a GTR on a track - and the tires are carrying so much more weight.

BMW owners on the other hand can't wait to get rid of the stock run flats, I put this down to the suspension not being designed for them and basically they were a marketing driven option, not an engineering decision.

Anyone who doesn't like run flats really should try a GTR to see what they can do - I never had any complaints when I had one....
Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 AM
TSpyder
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie

Remember when the Acura NSX first came out? The buyers of those cars almost burned the dealerships down with angry complaints about costly tire replacement due to the specialized size and 12K miles on a set..
Uh, more like 3k mi on the rears due to the original ('91) toe specs. The running joke was that you changed tires as frequently as oil

Arson gave way to legal action. Subsequent class-action suit got me several free sets of rear tires. And, changed rear toe specs got tread life up to 6k mi. Hence the 9k mi I got out of the OEM's on the 991 looks pretty good to me

Spyder
Old 08-29-2014, 07:44 AM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tapeworm
I wish Porsche would actually design the car for run flats for exactly this reason. A GTR was designed from the start for run flats, so the suspension is tuned for the stiffer sidewall and the tires work really well - ask any GT3 owner who has tried to keep up with a GTR on a track - and the tires are carrying so much more weight.

BMW owners on the other hand can't wait to get rid of the stock run flats, I put this down to the suspension not being designed for them and basically they were a marketing driven option, not an engineering decision.

Anyone who doesn't like run flats really should try a GTR to see what they can do - I never had any complaints when I had one....
I got rid of the run flats on my GT-R as fast as I could. They sucked and rode like Flintstone wheels. Run flats are an abomination on any car. As for designing the suspension for them, good luck. At least MB and Porsche haven't drunk the Kool-Aide like BMW did. It's one reason I don't consider BMW's anymore.

Quick Reply: Tire replacement stress