Sponsored by:

Base stereo in a Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 03:15 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dude174
Op, you listen to XM over app so won't be ordering XM + HD radio? I ask because that combination is $1150 and Bose package includes this so it's really $1000 more not the $2150.

However if you are skipping those 2 then...

Does the XM app work as good as the car radio? Probably even better as the phone nav is easier than the car's nav! I guess the only caveat is you don't get satellite radio in the boonies when you rely on cell signal?
Yes - I have had three cars with built in Sirius XM and for what I listen to (talk) I like the start and stop function on the app(I download a whole show so its not really using data when I am driving). Plus downloaded show will play even in airplane mode. In one of my cars the app sounds better than the built in radio. HD radio is Ok but I dont really want to go back to radio with commercials.

Honestly if they would let me delete Nav I would do so - I always use Waze.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:49 PM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh ok I gotcha. I listen to local sports talk and XM for music
Old 11-20-2014, 04:22 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jerry991
I agree that listening to music with the top down doesn't require a great audio system. However, if this is your first Porsche I will tell you what I have learned driving my first Porsche - you don't know what you will really want until you have your own. By that I mean the following: I got a great deal on my car and it was basically what I wanted - a manual trans cab. Now that I have had it almost two years I have learned what I don't have and would definitely require in any future Porsche. So make sure that you thoroughly research what you want before you finalize your decision. BTW: I would want PSE and the 18 way seats plus I would really like the full leather interior and I would buy a well cared for used car rather than a new car if that was what I needed to do to get them.
This won't be my first Porsche but one thing I have learned about luxury car options and this applies to Porsche is that most options have minimal to no value on trade or sell so get what you want if you are going to enjoy it during ownership.

I decided to get the PSE because I love the sound and its very distinct - I can hear it several stories up from my office building and it makes me run to my window like a kid.

Right now my order has 4 way Yachting Blue Sport eat Plus with the seat back in the Silver Gray - I don't let others drive my car and rarely ever make any adjustments. The Sport Seat Plus was comfortable for me and the seat backs in Silver will give it a nice contrast on a Dark Blue car. Plus seat backs wont get easily scuffed by kids in the back.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:24 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Originally Posted by trysixty
Bose is a terrible stereo with top up, completely worthless when topless. PSE sounds great all the time. No XM radio (car or phone app) since it cuts out in most hilly terrain or mountains roads in PNW (boonies).
One dealer mentioned that the Bose has noise cancelation technology - is that accurate?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:21 PM
clangpap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We ordered a very highly optioned C4S cab (performance options and leather). The dealer didn't even suggest upgrading the stereo from base, even though it would have been immaterial to the total. Our salesman felt both the upgraded stereo and voice control were a waste of cash in a cab. We drive top down as much as possible in Sport (PSE on) and you'd have to crank the radio so loud to clearly hear when you're driving that you'd feel like a 17YO at the stop light. Don't miss it at all in the cab, yet am over-the-top after market hi-end sound in our sedan and old-school audio fool at home. YMMV

I can't confirm the noise cancelling technology with the car Bose system, but can't imagine how it would work in an open cab (I own their NC headphones).
Old 11-20-2014, 07:38 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Originally Posted by clangpap
We ordered a very highly optioned C4S cab (performance options and leather). The dealer didn't even suggest upgrading the stereo from base, even though it would have been immaterial to the total. Our salesman felt both the upgraded stereo and voice control were a waste of cash in a cab. We drive top down as much as possible in Sport (PSE on) and you'd have to crank the radio so loud to clearly hear when you're driving that you'd feel like a 17YO at the stop light. Don't miss it at all in the cab, yet am over-the-top after market hi-end sound in our sedan and old-school audio fool at home. YMMV
Thanks. This is the type of info I was hoping to get. I almost feel like if you get the Burmeister you cant get a Cab or PSE. I'm not an audiophile but I do know that exhaust sound, wind noise and an open top have a counter effect.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche9xx
One dealer mentioned that the Bose has noise cancelation technology - is that accurate?
I don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 11-20-2014, 08:47 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the base audio system and am by no means an audiophile. I mainly listen to talk radio, audio books or a few CDs/mp3. To me it sounds great. Again, maybe my standards aren't that high, but I've never not enjoyed the music because of the sound system. About the listening with the top down I don't know
Old 11-20-2014, 10:58 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Bose makes overpriced noise cancelling headphones
Old 11-20-2014, 11:38 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Besides noise canceling also the Bose has higher output which is important with the top down...I never would settle for their base radio...it reminds me of my 99 Honda S2000...Great sounding engine all the way up to 9000 rpm but you could not hear the radio...initially it was not a problem because I could not get enough of that engine...but eventually...I wanted a button to turn the exhaust down and music up...especially cruising from LA to Vegas
Old 11-20-2014, 11:43 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
I don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
"The Bose®-patented AudioPilot® Noise
Compensation Technology uses a
microphone to continuously measure
the ambient noise inside the vehicle and
adapt music playback automatically,