Sponsored by:

Steering wheel dilema.. beige MT

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 10:19 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Steering wheel dilema.. beige MT

Ah, 'tis so fund to ponder ordering a new 911!

In addition to a white Christmas, I'm dreaming of a Sapphire Blue Targa 4S with a beige interior, undecided on leather quantity.

However, I think the base steering wheel in beige looks like something out of a kid's pedal car. I think I'd be disappointed to spend New Porsche Money and look at that wheel in beige. (An option would be to two-tone the interior and dodge the biege wheel, but I like brighter interiors so I'd rather not follow that path.)

I like how the sport wheel looks, and I like the buttons on the multi-function wheel. I'd get a heated wheel if it was availabe, but it's irrelevant to me.

The car will be a daily driver, so in addition to PSE we'll likely listen to FM too and occasionally want to change stations.

So... are you finding the buttons on the mulit-function wheel to be useful? I have several cars now where I'm inclined to use them... but I often find I don't even use the radio in our 911SC!

Are there any steering wheel controls (or stalk controls) with the sport steering wheel that I just can't see?

Without the PDK paddles, which wheel do you think strikes the best balance between form & function?

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2014, 01:58 PM
hinckley
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 144 Posts

If you're going PDK - then the SportDesign wheel with paddles is the ONLY way to go imo.

If you're MT (as I am), I still think that the SportDesign is better, but only because it looks soooo much better than the standard or multi-function wheel. And this is from someone who almost always has music on in the background and flips stations/tracks every few minutes. To be sure, I'd rather have the controls on the steering wheel, but the buttons are down low near the shifter so my right hand is always near by. It's not much of an inconvenience for me, but it is form over function to be sure.

The best alternative will be the wheel from the 918 that's made its way to the Macan and (I think) to the facelifted Cayenne. It combines the best of both worlds and will almost certainly be available on the facelifted MY16 911.

One last thing, you can change stations and tracks with the lever that is adjacent to the SportDesign wheels, but scrolling thru the menus is too cumbersome for someone like me who is constantly flipping thru stations and tracks.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley
If you're going PDK - then the SportDesign wheel with paddles is the ONLY way to go imo.

If you're MT (as I am), I still think that the SportDesign is better, but only because it looks soooo much better than the standard or multi-function wheel.
Agreed 100%. I'm really not a fan of the MF wheel even if it is somewhat more convenient/useful...

Depending on your usage you may want to reconsider having a beige steering wheel period... if it is a garage queen no problems but my car will be a daily driver and I'm sure a beige wheel will show dirt etc quite easily.

Bring on the 918/Macan wheel retrofit...
Old 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Vetsky
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I chose the MF wheel. I liked the flat bottom and in black, I think it looks pretty good.

I found the roller button for the mfd more comfortable than the lever. Although I'm sure the lever is fine with practice.

I too have the 918 wheel in my sights. With that said I wanted to make sure that my car was wired for it.

By the sound of your message above it does sound like you like the SD wheel. I would go for that based on your post.

Nothing we say can make you like the MF wheel in beige.
Old 12-03-2014, 03:38 PM
eg991
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a heated MF wheel in my C2S 7MT, now have the sport design wheel in my TT. I found the MF wheel to be not terribly useful. Everything that can be accomplished with the MF wheel can be accomplished with the stalk on the sport design wheel (except volume control). I actually liked the heating part better than the utility of the MF buttons. In my opinion (just my opinion), the sport design wheel is so much better looking.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:16 PM
K1600GT
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My recommendation would be to go with the Sport design wheel. The multifunction control stalk is lower right, behind the wheel. Very easy to operate. If you go PDK you will love the paddles.
You also might think about a two tone interior to reduce glare on the dash.
I went with Expresso/Cognac full leather with deviated carpeting in Expresso ($710), and the interior is my favorite part of the car.

Old 12-03-2014, 05:17 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a personal choice but from a pure aesthetic perspective I think the Sport design wheel is a must for me in MT or PDK. Somehow the MF wheels look cheaper than the rest of the interior. I do think that Porsche needs to address this and go with what they are doing with the Macan.
Old 12-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,262 Posts

Originally Posted by hinckley

If you're MT (as I am), I still think that the SportDesign is better, but only because it looks soooo much better than the standard or multi-function wheel. And this is from someone who almost always has music on in the background and flips stations/tracks every few minutes. To be sure, I'd rather have the controls on the steering wheel, but the buttons are down low near the shifter so my right hand is always near by. It's not much of an inconvenience for me, but it is form over function to be sure.

The best alternative will be the wheel from the 918 that's made its way to the Macan and (I think) to the facelifted Cayenne. It combines the best of both worlds and will almost certainly be available on the facelifted MY16 911.

One last thing, you can change stations and tracks with the lever that is adjacent to the SportDesign wheels, but scrolling thru the menus is too cumbersome for someone like me who is constantly flipping thru stations and tracks.
Originally Posted by Vise
Agreed 100%. I'm really not a fan of the MF wheel even if it is somewhat more convenient/useful...

Depending on your usage you may want to reconsider having a beige steering wheel period... if it is a garage queen no problems but my car will be a daily driver and I'm sure a beige wheel will show dirt etc quite easily.

Bring on the 918/Macan wheel retrofit...
Originally Posted by porsche9xx
Its a personal choice but from a pure aesthetic perspective I think the Sport design wheel is a must for me in MT or PDK. Somehow the MF wheels look cheaper than the rest of the interior. I do think that Porsche needs to address this and go with what they are doing with the Macan.
+1 ...
Old 12-03-2014, 06:41 PM
porsche9xx
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by K1600GT
My recommendation would be to go with the Sport design wheel. The multifunction control stalk is lower right, behind the wheel. Very easy to operate. If you go PDK you will love the paddles.
I went with Expresso/Cognac full leather with deviated carpeting in Expresso ($710), and the interior is my favorite part of the car.

espresso/cognac interior looks amazing.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 618 Posts

Or wait a few months. Rumor is the 918/Macan MFSW with paddles will be offered by summer in the 991.
Old 12-03-2014, 09:58 PM
911sccab
Racer

Thank you! Big time thank you! I sincerely appreciate you insights and perspectives as wellas your careful responses. I'm thinking it will get a Sport Design wheel!

Oh, that two tone interior is stunning. I need to rethink that now too!
Old 12-03-2014, 10:43 PM
911sccab
Racer

Originally Posted by K1600GT

That looks better than everything I've tried on the money-taker. I mean configurator. I really like it... you've introduced me to a fascinating option!
Old 12-04-2014, 12:10 AM
Gasguzlr
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I waffled on this as well for my GTS order, and had originally spec'd the Sport Design with a MT, but ended up switching it at the last second to the MF wheel. I do like the heated option in the MF wheel, and of course the functionality. Like some have said, it's really not that big a deal to use the stock or just reach up on the console, but the clincher for me was when I found I could order carbon fibre accents on the shifter to match the "comm package" CF trim, and then subsequently found I could do the same for the steering wheel.

I'm hoping I made the right choice. I do love the carbon fibre touches, and in black leather with the red stitching, the CF hopefully will look good and not too hokey.

On the other hand, now that I've driven our Macan with its superb version of the Sport Design wheel which combines functions with the great looks and feel, I would be tempted to retrofit one to the new GTS if it was possible and if the CF multi-function wheel doesn't thrill me.

Cheers

Ross
Old 12-04-2014, 12:26 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I have the Carbon Fiber MF wheel, I don't think you can change the radio station or skip to the next song by pressing just one button on the MF wheel.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel dilema.. beige MT