Sponsored by:

Lease vs Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 02:53 PM
NewtownGT3
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lease vs Buy??

Just looking for a little advise. I'm picking up a C2S today as a stop gap car until the next generation GT3 comes out. I have given up getting an allocation for a 16 (at MSRP at least) & don't want to spend stupid $$ on the RS. These cars lease pretty crappie as the 3yr lease with drives out of pocket is almost the same as a 6 yr purchase. I'm just afraid that if I buy, will I be able to get out of it without too much pain in 3yrs? Rates are really low now, but rolling on the fees will drive up the loan amount.

What to do???
Old 06-21-2015, 09:04 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I lease and buy. Lots of factual and emotional points made by both camps.

Nothing is black and white--except: if you can literally write a personal check and drive off, buy. If you can depreciate via you personal business ownership, lease.

From there, lots of give and take.

Not sure about your math of 3 years lease = 6 year loan? My 30 month lease on a $123k 991 is less than $4k drive off and $1400 a month. Or $46,000 all in (incl. interest expense and tax). Now, you could put say 10% down and get a loan but firstly you'd pay tax on the full price vs just 30 months of payments (over $6000 in favor of lease), secondly you'd be in the thing closer to $68,760 (56,460 in payments assuming $1882/mo for 30 months + that 10% down), thirdly YOU are on hook for selling in 30 months. Lease = closed ended and their problem, but say something crazy in world affairs occurs and gas is over $5/gallon again or in 3 years the newest thing is killing used 991 values... Unlikely but possible. You may be in for much more if can't sell for your payoff.

There is bad news. A lease is a contract and you are not going anywhere... No flipping, selling, modifying, or driving up the mileage lest your equations fly out the window.

But in the end... A sure thing that costs $46,000 for next 30 months is--in my book--better than an open ended question mark costing $68,000.

Now. If you want to keep it long term and cannot just write a check and do not own a business, the jury is out. Perhaps you lease and then finance the residual, giving you lower payments (if you are a monthly cash flow guy) as well as giving financial planners heart burn. But maybe this is the only way you can afford something that brings you joy. You only live once! But if you swing it, the smart money would be on a huge down payment and finance the rest for as short a term as possible.

Lots of options! In any event you have a 911, so don't over think it. There is no promise of tomorrow for anyone.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:30 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've always purchased and paid off my cars within a couple of years, but lately as the cost of my cars has increased over the years, I question if leasing would be better. First of all, the car is always under warranty. In addition, say your car has an issue that the dealer can't solve. Well, you turn it in at the end of your lease, and it's no longer your problem. Finally, if you have an accident, no matter how insignificant, the value of your car diminishes significantly and makes it much harder to sell.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:40 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my girlfriend to buy the car for me. Granted it's only a 993.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:36 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I buy my collectibles, lease my daily drivers.

Though, sometimes I'll do something nuts like daily drive a GT2 for several months... So there's exceptions to that rule.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:30 PM
Rallybagger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems to be the old debate and there is plenty of information on the forum about the topic.

It really depends on your situation and your needs of the car. I leased this as a "Feeler" to see if it fit with my family. I didn't know if the kids would fit, if I wanted to daily it once I spent more than a test drive in it etc. etc.

I also knew that the GTS or even a Turbo would be a logical next step and this C2S would be the stepping stone. Buying to me just didn't make sense with a young family and lots of questions. I know the rate (premium) and was OK with that knowing I was going to get out, no strings attached.

Porsche also has a great, yet to be announced on '14's, pull forward program to get me into my desired GTS or Turbo in the future. So my 24 month lease easily could become a 12 month lease and onto something new. Seeing how this is a fun car for me that was intriguing. Now we all know this is a way to keep you in the Porsche family but come on, we all love them.

At the end of the day it's right for you, these are just a few things I went through in my situation. If I was going to get an RS or even a last gen NA car. I would think buying as those models are hold cars that appreciate over a long life. A C2S or turbo are abundant and unless it's air cooled, not worth it to me to plop down that cake.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Rallybagger

Porsche also has a great, yet to be announced on '14's, pull forward program to get me into my desired GTS or Turbo in the future. So my 24 month lease easily could become a 12 month lease and onto something new. Seeing how this is a fun car for me that was intriguing. Now we all know this is a way to keep you in the Porsche family but come on, we all love them.
I just did the pullahead with my 2013 Cayenne for a 2015. What I didn't know about the pullahead before I went in, is that the miles are not prorated. I had a 39 month lease with 48750 total miles and turned it in at 31 months with 48450 miles and there was no mileage penalty! Plus we were able to order the new one exactly how we wanted it!
Old 06-22-2015, 09:57 PM
NateOZ
Race Car

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NewtownGT3
Just looking for a little advise. I'm picking up a C2S today as a stop gap car until the next generation GT3 comes out. I have given up getting an allocation for a 16 (at MSRP at least) & don't want to spend stupid $$ on the RS. These cars lease pretty crappie as the 3yr lease with drives out of pocket is almost the same as a 6 yr purchase. I'm just afraid that if I buy, will I be able to get out of it without too much pain in 3yrs? Rates are really low now, but rolling on the fees will drive up the loan amount.

What to do???
Honestly, you're going to pay $30k to $40k for a car you don't want vs buying an RS that historically have all appreciated and not depreciated. It seems to me even buying an RS at a premium is the most likely the lowest cost of ownership option vs the C2S and GT3. The premium, assuming you have to pay one, is basicly your cost of ownership of owning the C2S. If your heart is set on a GT car, you're probably going to be looking at getting out of the C2S when more allocations show up...
Old 06-22-2015, 10:55 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,887 Likes on 4,817 Posts

Originally Posted by NateOZ
Honestly, you're going to pay $30k to $40k for a car you don't want vs buying an RS that historically have all appreciated and not depreciated. It seems to me even buying an RS at a premium is the most likely the lowest cost of ownership option vs the C2S and GT3. The premium, assuming you have to pay one, is basicly your cost of ownership of owning the C2S. If your heart is set on a GT car, you're probably going to be looking at getting out of the C2S when more allocations show up...
So much truth to this.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:31 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,461 Likes on 2,263 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
I buy my collectibles, lease my daily drivers.

Though, sometimes I'll do something nuts like daily drive a GT2 for several months... So there's exceptions to that rule.
+1, and if I love my GTS at the end of 30 months I'll finance it and buy it...
Old 06-23-2015, 02:32 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
Old 06-23-2015, 02:34 PM
reuben991
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you buy or lease in the end?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8799...raternity.html
Old 06-23-2015, 09:54 PM
sanchezdds
Instructor

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
^^+1
Old 06-24-2015, 03:58 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 216 Posts

I avoid borrowing or leasing at all times.

You'll get a better price by avoiding the dealer mark-up on financing/leasing.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Lawsofpower
Instructor

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
I avoid borrowing or leasing at all times.

You'll get a better price by avoiding the dealer mark-up on financing/leasing.
And with cash, as soon as you title, you take a depreciation hit. Choose your poison.

Quick Reply: Lease vs Buy??