Sponsored by:

OT - Sir Stirling Moss

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 02:42 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 134 Posts
Default OT - Sir Stirling Moss

For those of you who are interested in the history of motorsport and the legends who improbably survived a very dangerous era, I can tell you that if you ever have the opportunity to hear Sir Stirling Moss speak, don't miss it!

I had the pleasure of attending a relatively small dinner last night and listening to him and his wife, Lady Susie, speak. They were great; lucid, candid, funny, irreverent and completely gracious. Highlights included hearing his thoughts about the role and presence of sportsmanship in his era, and Susie's rant about being completely flummoxed by engine tokens in F1 today.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:36 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a great evening. In the mid-sixties, after the accident that caused him to retire from F1, he wrote a book, "All But My Life." It has some wonderful stories about his drives/races.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:48 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 177 Posts

Was able to see him and wife doing parade laps around Lime Rock at the Historics last year, and then met him and got an autograph. Amazing experience. Then heard Sir Jackie Stewart speak at Laguna Seca last weekend. Also a bucket-list item for me. I agree with you--take every opportunity to interact with these living legends of motorsport before they're gone.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:26 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnireland
Sounds like a great evening. In the mid-sixties, after the accident that caused him to retire from F1, he wrote a book, "All But My Life." It has some wonderful stories about his drives/races.
Funny, I'd completely forgotten about that book. I agree. I read it a few years ago and thought it was a good read.

And yes, it was a good evening.
Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Let's not forget that Jochen Mass is attending this year's Lime Rock Historics as well!
Old 09-01-2015, 06:23 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JD.....That is a nice library you have there. Do you happen to have the biography of Rob Walker, who many consider to be the last true privateer, and whom Stirling Moss drove for? I can't remember the title, but I have been searching for it for years. In fact, does anyone out there know the book?
Old 09-01-2015, 07:22 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by solomonschris
JD.....That is a nice library you have there. Do you happen to have the biography of Rob Walker, who many consider to be the last true privateer, and whom Stirling Moss drove for? I can't remember the title, but I have been searching for it for years. In fact, does anyone out there know the book?
Good question. And it's funny, nearly the only physical books that I still have are car or racing related.

I can't remember if I have it, but it rings a bell. I'll check when I get back home next week.

Quick Reply: OT - Sir Stirling Moss