Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A manual transmission on mountain roads is ideal!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 06:44 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the PDK drivers: Can you - e.g. while approaching a curve - leisurely switch from top gear to 3rd and wait until the exact right moment to engage the gear and accelerate?

I skip gears all the time (also up, as from 4th to 6th). And sometimes I pop the gear out and coast - by my own will. Often when cruising I fully press the gas pedal while in low revs - and it stays in the same gear!

I really admire the almost sequential character of the PDK but in the end it's a computer operating the clutches, having its own mind. Sometimes in curves the gear changes are really slow and soft, almost like an automatic gearbox. And operating the paddles so often for the simplest of maneuvers is silly (and distracting!). For track work PDK is undoubtedly superior to a manual transmission - but in the mountains where you don't know what's around the next corner I feel much more at ease (not faster!) using a manual transmission.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:29 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In summary, a 7MT allows you much greater control then the PDK.

[
This makes it much more fun on mountain roads then double clutch transmissions are.

QUOTE=one-rennlist;12548867]To the PDK drivers: Can you - e.g. while approaching a curve - leisurely switch from top gear to 3rd and wait until the exact right moment to engage the gear and accelerate?

I skip gears all the time (also up, as from 4th to 6th). And sometimes I pop the gear out and coast - by my own will. Often when cruising I fully press the gas pedal while in low revs - and it stays in the same gear!

I really admire the almost sequential character of the PDK but in the end it's a computer operating the clutches, having its own mind. Sometimes in curves the gear changes are really slow and soft, almost like an automatic gearbox. And operating the paddles so often for the simplest of maneuvers is silly (and distracting!). For track work PDK is undoubtedly superior to a manual transmission - but in the mountains where you don't know what's around the next corner I feel much more at ease (not faster!) using a manual transmission.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-29-2015, 08:16 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I live in Western NC, just North of I-40. Try Hwy 209 to Hot Springs. There is also a road that drops down to Leicester off 209, about halfway to Hot Springs, somewhere around the wide spots called Luck and Trust (you can't make this stuff up!) and it is awesome wiggly down the mountain to Leicester.

I'm not touching the transmission thing - I thought this post was about awesome NC roads.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:06 AM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Wink thanks for the info--i will check out these roads! more important than 7mt vs PDK

Originally Posted by rockhouse66
I live in Western NC, just North of I-40. Try Hwy 209 to Hot Springs. There is also a road that drops down to Leicester off 209, about halfway to Hot Springs, somewhere around the wide spots called Luck and Trust (you can't make this stuff up!) and it is awesome wiggly down the mountain to Leicester.

I'm not touching the transmission thing - I thought this post was about awesome NC roads.
Old 08-30-2015, 01:51 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by one-rennlist
To the PDK drivers: Can you - e.g. while approaching a curve - leisurely switch from top gear to 3rd and wait until the exact right moment to engage the gear and accelerate?

I really admire the almost sequential character of the PDK but in the end it's a computer operating the clutches, having its own mind.
Sometimes in curves the gear changes are really slow and soft, almost like an automatic gearbox. And operating the paddles so often for the simplest of maneuvers is silly (and distracting!). For track work PDK is undoubtedly superior to a manual transmission - but in the mountains where you don't know what's around the next corner I feel much more at ease (not faster!) using a manual transmission.
I get it now. Driving PDK you feel like Garry Kasparov playing Deep Blue. Its all fun and games… until you lose… then its just a machine. You on the other hand have willpower!

Old 08-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I really admire the almost sequential character of the PDK but in the end it's a computer operating the clutches, having its own mind. Sometimes in curves the gear changes are really slow and soft, almost like an automatic gearbox. And operating the paddles so often for the simplest of maneuvers is silly (and distracting!). For track work PDK is undoubtedly superior to a manual transmission - but in the mountains where you don't know what's around the next corner I feel much more at ease (not faster!) using a manual transmission.
For your use case, you should stick with a traditional manual, no question about it.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:37 PM
woodrow
Instructor

Default haha

Originally Posted by thomnellie
Going slower=YAWN
Old 08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

We drove to Hot Springs today. Great roads! thank you.

Originally Posted by ignacio
Old 09-03-2015, 04:25 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I have been driving rt 80 near Burnsville NC for three days in my MT GTS. What a hoot when I am in Sport Plus.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:23 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by shaytun
I know it's exhausted this MT vs PDK thing. But I love the banter with each new post. There's never a conclusion, just lots of funny low blows.
But we all know secretly the manual is king
So true. One side will never convince the other. Since I have not competed in a SCCA race in over twenty years, the fact that PDK is faster is irrelevant to me. I'm now just an occasional DE participant, and the only one I compete against is myself.
As boring as I find PDK to drive, I would purchase one in a heartbeat if my Porsche were a DD and I regularly drove in stop and go traffic. Shifting a couple hundred times while travelling about a mile is not my idea of having fun.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:34 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by thomnellie
For me, manual transmissions are as outmoded as manual choke and throttle **** on the dashboards of pre 1960s cars and the spark advance lever on pre 1930s vehicles. They are fun to tinker with for a while, but ultimately irritating and imprecise. All hail the DCT.
You've just made a solid argument for a driverless car. If you consider all of the computer aids on modern cars, we are just a half step away from the driverless model, and I suspect that its advocates will use a similar argument that you presented to refute those who still insist on turning the steering wheel and operating the brake and accelerator pedals. Moreover, properly programmed the driverless car will produce lap times much quicker than virtually any human.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:36 PM
maxpowers
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
You've just made a solid argument for a driverless car. If you consider all of the computer aids on modern cars, we are just a half step away from the driverless model, and I suspect that its advocates will use a similar argument that you presented to refute those who still insist on turning the steering wheel and operating the brake and accelerator pedals. Moreover, properly programmed the driverless car will produce lap times much quicker than virtually any human.
I'm curious how many Porsche owners will buy a driverless Porsche as their primary sports car? If people are saying they want to give up human input (shifting) and that they are happy to have the computer automate one of the primary inputs for driving a sports car, why not automate the braking, steering, and throttle? Especially if people care more about lap times and specs than actually driving the car and human input. As it says here "if the self driving cars will be coming to the roads is no longer the question. The question merely is, when?"

Cars without human input will be faster in the near future. Will the same sports cars owners who are happy with PDK/dual clutch/F1/teptronic/SMG, etc all buy cars that free them from the monotony of providing any input to the car?

Old 09-05-2015, 04:35 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Yesterday I drove over a mountain pass, a difficult one with steep angles, lots of tight unpredictable curves in the forest and very uneven pavement. It was quite a handful, my shifting was all over the place and heel & toe while braking left a lot to desire. It would have been a more satisfying experience with PDK surely. And in a 991 it would have been a smoother ride certainly. But is it mastery if it's easily attainable?
Old 09-05-2015, 05:05 PM
ignacio
Burning Brakes

Default You simply need more practice!

Yesterday I drove over a mountain pass, a difficult one with steep angles, lots of tight unpredictable curves in the forest and very uneven pavement. It was quite a handful, my shifting was all over the place and heel & toe while braking left a lot to desire. It would have been a more satisfying experience with PDK surely. And in a 991 it would have been a smoother ride certainly. But is it mastery if it's easily attainable?
The road you describe is ideal for 7mt!
Old 09-05-2015, 05:09 PM
one-rennlist
Instructor

Originally Posted by ignacio
The road you describe is ideal for 7mt!
I rarely used more than three gears of my 6MT.

Quick Reply: A manual transmission on mountain roads is ideal!