Sponsored by:

Engine hesitation quick fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 01:05 PM
SB
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hesitation quick fix

I see posts from time to time reporting engine hesitation at part throttle/low rpm. Well, I do get that from time to time, but now I know why. Bad gas. I had an obvious case of slight engine hesitation until I got a full up.
So if you experience engine hesitation, I suggest you try another gas station (yes, some gas station cheat and dilute higher octane fuel with regular), or try changing a brand altogether.
I think that hesitation is most obvious is due to the fact that the ecu tries to lean out the mixture at low rpm/part throttle to get more efficient burn/save fuel, and when you mix in some subpar gasoline you get detonation.
Old 09-02-2015, 01:28 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
I see posts from time to time reporting engine hesitation at part throttle/low rpm. Well, I do get that from time to time, but now I know why. Bad gas. I had an obvious case of slight engine hesitation until I got a full up.
So if you experience engine hesitation, I suggest you try another gas station (yes, some gas station cheat and dilute higher octane fuel with regular), or try changing a brand altogether.
I think that hesitation is most obvious is due to the fact that the ecu tries to lean out the mixture at low rpm/part throttle to get more efficient burn/save fuel, and when you mix in some subpar gasoline you get detonation.
Glad it worked for you.

Evidently, I've gotten bad gas at every single refill over the last 2 1/2 years. What are the odds of that?
Old 09-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Agree that bad gas can contribute to acceleration issues. Have had bad throttle hesitation fixed by some software upate, had a bad gas experience (with the car ) and now live with a slight, but livable, throttle hesitation usually in normal mode (Sport is way better).
Old 09-02-2015, 03:16 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 186 Posts

Whew. Glad I never had bad gas or any other cause of hesitation over 28k of happy motoring. It is damn shame anyone has to live with that.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
Glad it worked for you.

Evidently, I've gotten bad gas at every single refill over the last 2 1/2 years. What are the odds of that?
Considering you live in California, your odds are 100% chance of getting bad gas.

The only gas you have available is 91 octane, these cars are designed for 93 octane. While it isn't the end of the world, you will get some type of hesitation and even engine knocking if you put a high load at a low rpm.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:43 PM
SB
Instructor

I was just going to say the same thing. I'm in ny, so my bad gas is probably is like CA gas. We have 93 octane and when it is diluted, probable closer to 91 that you have in ca

Originally Posted by Potsnu
Considering you live in California, your odds are 100% chance of getting bad gas.

The only gas you have available is 91 octane, these cars are designed for 93 octane. While it isn't the end of the world, you will get some type of hesitation and even engine knocking if you put a high load at a low rpm.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:45 PM
pfan
Pro

Originally Posted by Potsnu

By your logic, all 991s in CA should exhibit stumbling/hesitation. Most definitely not the case.

The stumble/hesitation problem occurs ONLY under light load/light throttle, and ONLY between 2500-2800 rpm.

Otherwise, when prompted, my car runs like a striped ape with zero hesitation.

Bad gas and/or 91 octane have absolutely nothing to do with the infamous stumble/hesitation.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:57 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,887 Likes on 4,817 Posts

By your logic, all 991s in CA should exhibit stumbling/hesitation. Most definitely not the case.

The stumble/hesitation problem occurs ONLY under light load/light throttle, and ONLY between 2500-2800 rpm.

Bad gas and/or 91 octane have absolutely nothing to do with the infamous stumble/hesitation.
Maybe try some 100 octane to flush the system a bit.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:09 PM
pfan
Pro

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Maybe try some 100 octane to flush the system a bit.
"Flush the system"? What does that mean?

The simple fact you're missing is that if, in fact, bad/low octane gas is the cause of the hesitation, then there is a 100% probability that the hesitation would occur under high load. There is no possibility bad gas could cause a hesitation under light throttle but not at moderate to heavy throttle - just doesn't make sense.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:29 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The simple fact you're missing is that if, in fact, bad/low octane gas is the cause of the hesitation, then there is a 100% probability that the hesitation would occur under high load. There is no possibility bad gas could cause a hesitation under light throttle but not at moderate to heavy throttle - just doesn't make sense.
Wait! RL posts have to make sense? Gonna need more mods.
Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM
SB
Instructor

I had exact same symptoms you are describing. It is very easy to test my theory. Find the closest gas station that sells 100 octane unleaded gas and see if you are still having the same issue. You can usually find 100 octane pumps at the race tracks (drag strips or circuits). There may be something else going on with your car, sure, but why not try this?

Old 09-02-2015, 04:54 PM
drmatara
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If this is a PDK equipped car, most likely software bugs
Old 09-02-2015, 10:00 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,887 Likes on 4,817 Posts

Carbon buildup.

Many brands of race fuel (i.e. 100 octane gas) can sometimes contain more additives and detergents than premium octane gas.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:13 PM
SB
Instructor

It does make sense that it happens at part throttle light load rather than at wot... That is because at low rpm/part throttle the engine runs the leanest mixture, and therefore more prone to detonation, whereas at wot extra fuel is injected to make the engine run rich to produce cooling effect and reduce detonation.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:05 PM
Potsnu
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are accelerating from 2500 rpm from too high a gear, you will get hesitation and some pinging.

Now I know this is the internet and there is no tone of voice when you are looking at only words. But your tone in this whole thread hasn't been very helpful, a bit snarky and borderline hostile.

The OP in this thread is only trying to help other people and he found a solution that worked for him. Yet your only contribution to refute suggestions that other people are trying to give you help on.

The risk from running a lower octane than the minimum is the ECU may not have the range to dial back the timing enough to prevent detonation.

The backing off of the timing lowers the peak pressure generated in the combustion chamber/cylinder which reduces the chances of detonation -- the ECU normally dials back the timing until it no longer senses detonation vibrations from the knock sensors -- but this also decreases the amount of work obtained from burning the fuel. Exhaust gas temperature is increased too.

Quick Reply: Engine hesitation quick fix