Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem: Bought a Porsche Certified 911.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 02:02 AM
dethred
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem: Bought a Porsche Certified 911.

Sorry I haven't been able to start an intro thread to say "Hi".

I bought a 5k mile Porsche Certified C4S on Saturday, and about halfway through the 4 hour drive back home I decided to turn on the climate control for some heat. After a few minutes it was still blowing cold air. I understand, after searching the forum, that this is an issue that has a corresponding TSB.

Issues with the car:
1.) Sunroof rattle (it's constant, and ruined the drive home), which is hopefully just a dry seal creaking.

2.) No heat

3.) In reverse, the right mirror automatically aims at the ground. This is a feature on most cars, but whether I select the other mirror or not, it switches back to the passenger side mirror and aims back at the ground. This is annoying, and surely can't be right.

My question is:

Shouldn't the inspection to certify the car at least catch the heat solenoid issue? If so, and the dealership never actually inspected the car, would you suggest a complaint to Porsche or try to get some sort of compensation (A lot of people have assumed this means monetary. No, this means righting a wrong ASAP, including getting my car scheduled for a fix earlier than those waiting for oil changes, etc, and a loaner car that was denied to me) for the first two days of ownership being more-or-less ruined?

Any input or advice would be great! I otherwise love the car!

Last edited by dethred; 10-13-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:46 AM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts

if you rtfm you will know how to set your mirrors. sounds like you have a couple of things to sort out with any dealer. not sure why you are writing a thread like this when you just need to go to your dealer.
Old 10-12-2015, 02:54 AM
dethred
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dogshyne
if you rtfm you will know how to set your mirrors. sounds like you have a couple of things to sort out with any dealer. not sure why you are writing a thread like this when you just need to go to your dealer.
Thanks for your input, I'll take it to heart and block you. :-) I'll definitely drive 4 hours to the dealership from whom I bought the car and ask the very same people, that gave me the car in this condition, if they did anything wrong. I'm sure you're right and that's the best approach.

Anyone with actual helpful/mature advice?
Old 10-12-2015, 04:26 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 229 Posts

If there is a closer dealer to your home, you can take it there as they will honor the warranty. If not, safest bet is to return despite the frustration.

The passenger mirror aiming down is a selectable option in the PCM. When I brought my car home, I took an evening and sat in the car and just read through the owners manual and PCM manual and clicked through all of the PCM settings. There is an amazing amount of driver-selectable configurations and I am still experimenting with different settings after ten months of driving the 991. You'll enjoy customizing your car.

I have the glass sunroof with zero rattles so that should be an easy fix for them...some folks will use silicone to lube, but a fairly new car shouldn't need that.

No heat is either a failed mechanical or electrical/electronic component that you will want the dealer to look at to establish a history if needed

Don't let a minor thing or two get you down...that's why you got the CPO.

Good luck and let us all know what you found out.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

The sunroof can be a source of frustration until it gets completely fixed. They will lube the seals and then replace them if that doesn't work. It's a painful process but worth it IMO.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:01 AM
WindyCityC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Try the heat again. My first cold morning with the car did not blow any heat. I tried again on a warmer day once the motor was at full temp. Went to full heat--highest temp setting) and it worked. It has worked ever since.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:25 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dogshyne
not sure why you are writing a thread like this when you just need to go to your dealer.
Because that's what people do these days. It's easier, and with the exception of your comment, often very helpful.

Originally Posted by dethred
Well, I'm not sure how mature I'll be...

As Pavegeno928 suggested, take some time and read through the manual. There is a ton of stuff that the car can do and be configured to do, and it will be an adventure figuring it all out. I specifically ordered my car without a sunroof, but from what I've read, rattling is a common issue and whatever dealer you choose to take it to should be able to make it better.

Yes, I agree, the CPO process should have identified and addressed some of those issues. Unfortunately, it may have been a warm day when they inspected it, and the heat wasn't needed. And with the radio blasting, the tech couldn't hear the sunroof.

Try to get over these initial little issues and enjoy the car. Congrats!

And you'll always get more responses if you include pictures!
Old 10-12-2015, 09:51 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 170 Likes on 115 Posts

I seem to recall that the No Heat issue may have to do with a failed Change Over Valve.
If you do a search on COV you'll run across some interesting posts.

As for your mirrors, I had the exact same issue and the dealer finally had to reset the system.

Is your sunroof rattling or is it your headliner? (The two rattling sounds are very similar). The latter was was addressed after they realized that the clips holding the headliner in place tended to come loose.

In any case all three of your issues can be fixed, and any dealer can take care of them for you.

Unfortunately we expect everything to be as it should, but these cars (with their stiff suspensions) tend to have a lot of creaks and rattles.

Keeps us posted on the outcome and happy motoring.
Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM
joeyrocks
Advanced

Thanks for your input, I'll take it to heart and block you. :-) I'll definitely drive 4 hours to the dealership from whom I bought the car and ask the very same people, that gave me the car in this condition, if they did anything wrong. I'm sure you're right and that's the best approach.

Watch out with this forum, a lot of unhelpful wiseasses trying to win comedic awards for their comments.
Old 10-12-2015, 11:51 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by joeyrocks
Watch out with this forum, a lot of unhelpful wiseasses trying to win comedic awards for their comments.
Not only this forum but most public forums. Look, no one here is in the forum custom service business but for every sarcastic comment you are likely to get five or more helpful ones. Plus, often things typed with no sarcastic intent come across that way (maybe not in this case but often times).

That said, do start with the owners manual (not sarcastic) and ask questions here regardless of the less helpful responses. You may find the info you are looking for but if not, when you go to or call your dealer and they tell you the same thing that was in the manual or you found out here you can save yourself some time by telling them you have already tried A, B, C etc. and get to the root of the problem sooner.

Sorry I can't give you anything more helpful than hang in and "Good Luck".
Old 10-12-2015, 12:04 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

These things often times may be overlooked in the CPO process. Trust me, it's not some overly thorough procedure. More checklist than anything. Many boxes are conveniently checked off at many dealers without actually inspecting.

The issues you're describing are fairly common and easily dealt with. I know, not what you want as soon as you drive home after buying a CPO used car.

Good news, it's under warranty. You can take it to ANY Porsche dealer. Most of them have free loaners to use if your car is in for service. That's the most "compensation" you can expect. Frustrating, yes? I'm with you.
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 PM
Grunty
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

My car was fine and then the change over valve thing happened out of the blue. It's really not a big deal, was replaced same day.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:16 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

sl off topic , we love to answer operational questions for newbies and seasoned alike ,because many are ones that the owner's manual is confusingly written or the simple info you are seeking is buried in a section that seems totally unrelated to the ones you are searching in ( we all have experienced that, esp with memory and key related stuff ) ...but some times threads, not this one , read like this : " just got this 991 and can't set the 'something-something ' ( presumably by spinning ***** and pushing random buttons ) and it is pissing me off and ruining my enjoyment " and like the " men who are too macho to read road maps " of our fathers' generation who got lost all the time, to the wives' and kids' exasperation ) they seem to prefer to get a quick and easy answer from their car board concierge, as it were .

those of us with the answer should point the person to the page or section in the manual , if they know it , to assist future " searchers "

I've seen questions on boards like " what is the tq spec for the wheels " ...it could be hours faster to get that answer by simply Googling it vs logging onto several boards with the same question and then wait who knows how long for a response , which may be incorrect !

again, not commenting at all about the OP, but we see these other types of new thread topics from time to time...so hope this helps OP in understanding some of the grumpy replies, which some of us appologize for..
welcome and enjoy your new ride !

Last edited by MKW; 10-12-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2015, 01:46 PM
todd92
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When the OP wants compensation from Porsche because a failed COV and a rattle ruined his purchase experience, sarcastic comments are appropriate and welcome.

I also don't know why he thinks he has to drive 4 hours back to where he bought it to get it fixed?
Old 10-12-2015, 01:56 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

Issues with the car:
1.) Sunroof rattle (it's constant, and ruined the drive home), which is hopefully just a dry seal creaking.

2.) No heat

3.) In reverse, the right mirror automatically aims at the ground. This is a feature on most cars, but whether I select the other mirror or not, it switches back to the passenger side mirror and aims back at the ground. This is annoying, and surely can't be right.
#3 you can disable in Vehicle, Settings.

I have a new-to-me CPO also, and some rattles that are annoying me a lot. I am actually getting them worked on as we speak. Some of them have been resolved to my satisfaction, there are just more than one (Targa.)

I would not worry about the CPO inspection being inadequate. At the end of the day, the CPO is to give you peace of mind that when (not if) things break, the dealer will take care of it at their expense.

One service visit and I bet the sunroof rattle and heat issue are resolved rapidly and at no cost.

Quick Reply: Problem: Bought a Porsche Certified 911.