Sponsored by:

Treatment when you buy a CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 03:01 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Treatment when you buy a CPO?

Out of curiosity, for those of you who have purchased a CPO, do you ever feel like you should've paid a few extra grand and bought new?

My wife works at a high volume japanese car dealership and I know for a fact that the "pre owned" folks get treated differently there. I've read about some horror stories about PCM not covered under the CPO warranty, which sounds like a nightmare.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:06 PM
sandbar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I felt no difference in the process. Was a great experience. Have purchased two CPO'd 911's. All of my other cars are purchased new, for the 911 fun car, I save $20k+.

From a service perspective, nothing but great things to say.

I'm sure experiences will vary dealer to dealer.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:30 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

We live in the Seattle area. Purchased two CPOs from Scott Py at Rancho Mirage and the latest from Brett at Sonnen. We have been treated extremely well every time and only the first transaction was f2f. The service dept in Bellevue treats us very well.

I guess it does matter which dealership, sales guy, and service dept you deal with but in our experience it is a great way to save big $$ on great cars. In three cars we've saved almost $100K off MSRP! (2013 981 BS, 2012.5 C2s cab, 2014 C4s cab)
Old 11-09-2015, 03:39 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude
Out of curiosity, for those of you who have purchased a CPO, do you ever feel like you should've paid a few extra grand and bought new?

My wife works at a high volume japanese car dealership and I know for a fact that the "pre owned" folks get treated differently there. I've read about some horror stories about PCM not covered under the CPO warranty, which sounds like a nightmare.
I saved $30K on a CPO car with under 3K miles. For that cash, they can treat me however they want. In my case, the dealer treated me like a valued customer. I'm sure that's the case with most Porsche dealers. Usually these guys are making more $ on used than new, why would they treat anyone differently?? Seems bizarre to me.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:11 PM
ChoyV
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

It is CPO'd but the price is more than twice the price of a majority brand new car.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 PM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I got a 2013 C2 this summer with 10k mi CPO. The Dealer in Danbury CT treated me like gold. They gave me the tow-hook license mount for free and even invited me out to the track for a day with the Porsche racing team (or something like that--it was during the week, so I had to work).

I live closer to the Wallingford CT dealership and brought it in for a bad fuel pump and the dashboard/fuel tank squeak (it had a broken bolt!). They were great, gave me Panameras and Cayenne for loaners, and really worked hard to give good customer service.

I suspect they realize I'm relatively young, and if they do a good job will be a repeat customer. Also, they seem to be working hard to get good ratings on the customer surveys. If things keep up like this, I'll definitely be back for more....
Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

I had a couple warranty issues with my 2012 CPO and Hennessy Porsche in Atlanta treated me just as well as if I had bought it new, I presume. The service was smooth with a loaner. (AC blower went out and also had a visor mirror cover break).
Old 11-09-2015, 09:58 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

The CPO warranty is often better than the new warranty. Low mileage and deep discounts, what's not to like?
Old 11-09-2015, 10:52 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 816 Likes on 406 Posts

Only the highest level of treatment. Never been treated better. They really like that I drive and enjoy the car unlike some of their costumers.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:06 PM
lrobinson60
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been treated like any other customer would be. I've had mine for two years. Had an issue with the tire pressure monitor within a few months. They gave me a loaner and fixed it the same day.

Coincidentally, I attended a PCA tech talk this weekend at my local dealer discussing CPO. The covered what they look for when purchasing a car and making it a CPO. They pointed out that, though may people assume they will try and deny a warranty claim, it serves no purpose for them to do so. The warranty work is covered by Porsche, and all the dealer would do is **** off a client by taking a hard line. CPO is a great way to save a lot of money, and get a great car with a solid warranty.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:30 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bmedude

This worries me more than any bad/ good treatment I might or might not get.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:03 AM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

I had my entire PCM unit replaced under CPO warranty on my 2010 997. It wouldn't accept the latest software/map update, so they ordered a whole new one.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:19 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 731 Posts

Have purchased new and CPO Porsche cars and never felt I was treated less than a premium customer.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:32 AM
stevebmd
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every car is a used car when it comes in to service. I have had three new 911s and a CPO 911. I never was treated any better or worse, its about your service dept.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:50 AM
Dan991
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My latest CPO purchase experience was great and perhaps better than my new car purchases.

Beyond the dealership, PCNA tries to make you feel good by sending you a welcome kit that includes a certificate of authenticity, a pen, a few colorful brochures, and a letter from the President and CEO that includes the following:

"Once again, congratulations on your purchase of a very special automobile - one capable of igniting your senses and sense of adventure like nothing else on the road today."

Try THAT at Carmax!

Quick Reply: Treatment when you buy a CPO?