Sponsored by:

Hate to Rain on the Parade

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 07:49 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Hate to Rain on the Parade

I was at a 3 day DE this weekend at Pocono, which was graciously sponsored in part by Paul Miller Porsche. They brought a few 2017's for us to test drive, one of which was 2017 Carrera. Perhaps the track is not the place to test drive cars (tested off track), since one becomes tainted with access to triple digits around 150mph with high rev's the norm. I took delivery on a very late 2016 NA and after reading the 2017 911 reviews wondered if I made the right decision to stay with the NA.

My test drive (quite extensive and I was alone in the car) on high speed feeders at the track, left me disappointed in the car. Don't get me wrong, it has potential (after the tuners go to work) but not in its current configuration. I just could not get passed the car doing absolutely nothing after 5,000 RPM. I guess low end torque is important to many people, however it is not what I thought it would be. BTW, either my hearing went south this weekend or the sound was just not up to the reviews.

It is not my intention to speak badly of the car as it is great as an enthusiast's car but I just don't see it on the track in a real driving scenario as opposed to a "media test drive" on the track. I can't wait to run against one to see how it performs. Perhaps I will eat my words!!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:49 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 715 Likes on 500 Posts

You made the right choice.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:13 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Not raining on my parade. After having owned two 991.1s, I'm loving my 991.2. I definitely made the right choice.
Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 PM
.dee
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

generally speaking i find it very odd how opposite the views are on the 991.1 v 991.2

I, like you, had a 2016 C2 991.1 and have just moved onto the 991.2 and the 991.2 addresses every issue i had with the first generation.

it (991.2) is objectively speaking a much faster car than the old one too
Old 06-27-2016, 11:40 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by .dee
it (991.2) is objectively speaking a much faster car than the old one too
For the same amount of money or less, there are many faster cars than the 991.1.

I remember being disappointed a bit when I went from a Mini Cooper S to a supercharged S4 (both manual). The Mini was such a blast to drive, like a go kart you could drive on the street! The S4 was incredibly impressive to me, but it wasn't until a few months in that I fully realized what I was missing--the power just came too easy, and flat. You were at "go directly to jail" speed before you could even row a few gears. (and yes I know the Mini was also a turbo, but it was a slow turbo)

That's when I knew I didn't want another car with that kind of power delivery. At least with a manual--on the flip side I also appreciate the power delivery of electric cars and one pedal driving.

I have a friend who had a Turbo years ago, and had to get rid of it because it was "too fast" for him to enjoy on the street. He got an S2000 and loved it.

Different kinds of people like different kinds of power delivery. Porsche should setup some kind of trade program to match everyone who would prefer the mini-turbo engine with someone who wants the NA engine and can't get it anymore. Balance would be restored.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:30 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Tangerine
For the same amount of money or less, there are many faster cars than the 991.1.

I remember being disappointed a bit when I went from a Mini Cooper S to a supercharged S4 (both manual). The Mini was such a blast to drive, like a go kart you could drive on the street! The S4 was incredibly impressive to me, but it wasn't until a few months in that I fully realized what I was missing--the power just came too easy, and flat. You were at "go directly to jail" speed before you could even row a few gears. (and yes I know the Mini was also a turbo, but it was a slow turbo)

That's when I knew I didn't want another car with that kind of power delivery. At least with a manual--on the flip side I also appreciate the power delivery of electric cars and one pedal driving.

I have a friend who had a Turbo years ago, and had to get rid of it because it was "too fast" for him to enjoy on the street. He got an S2000 and loved it.

Different kinds of people like different kinds of power delivery. Porsche should setup some kind of trade program to match everyone who would prefer the mini-turbo engine with someone who wants the NA engine and can't get it anymore. Balance would be restored.
I'm here from a Jaguar XKR because it was too much power - too soon.

There aren't that many cars that are faster than an 991.1. There are cars that feel faster or have more low end power without the crescendo of the 991.1 but not so many that are actually faster.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:23 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,031 Likes on 617 Posts

I got rid of my '15 TT because 1). I hated the PDK and 2). It was "too fast" to be fun on the street (for me). Now I split my time between an S550 and a MT BGTS.
Perfect combo "for me".
Old 06-28-2016, 10:50 AM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Yeah I would guess that the track would be a place where the .1 might shine over the .2 since you can keep the revs up and don't need the low end torque of the .2. I am curious to know how the handling compared. Did the .2 cars have the handling goodies being offered? Love my .2 but doubt I will track it due to cost. It is a great street car though.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:18 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
I'm here from a Jaguar XKR because it was too much power - too soon.

There aren't that many cars that are faster than an 991.1. There are cars that feel faster or have more low end power without the crescendo of the 991.1 but not so many that are actually faster.
I'm glad you put emphasis on Feel. The 991.1 is extremely fast but you cant judge it based on torque. You realize it once you need the brakes. Glad it comes with decent ones.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:46 AM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to stray a bit off topic for my comparison, but I just moved from a 2006 Cayman S to my 991.1. Initially, I was a bit disappointed because it didn't 'feel' as fast as the Cayman. The way the power came on in the Cayman in second gave the impression that it was very fast (not to mention the trans and engine noise right behind you). The 991.1, at least from in the cabin, is deceptively fast. Easy to slide out for a pass and as another member stated be going "go directly to jail" speeds before you move back into your lane. I did test drive a 991.2 but it was not extensive enough for a direct comparison.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:04 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by dflowerz
Yeah I would guess that the track would be a place where the .1 might shine over the .2 since you can keep the revs up and don't need the low end torque of the .2. I am curious to know how the handling compared. Did the .2 cars have the handling goodies being offered? Love my .2 but doubt I will track it due to cost. It is a great street car though.
It handled better than my 2014 C2 with a base suspension. It did not handle as well as my 2016 C2 with SPASM. Being 10mm lower in my 2016, makes a difference in comparison to the PASM 2017 C2.

As for acceleration, there is no doubt that my C2 2016 is faster. That is likely because of being COBB tuned and having an AWE tuned exhaust. The 2017 C2 has noticeably more low end torque which is great for the street. The low end torque does nothing to improve track performance as the NA is running between 4,000 and 7,500 all the time, which is well into its maximum torque range.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 72 Posts

I ordered a 2017 Targa and expect delivery in August. I ordered the performance package which included the sport exhaust. An important aspect to sport car driving and enjoyment is the sensory feedback much of which involves the exhaust sound. I have read other complaints about the SE and they have raised concerns for me. I hope I am not disappointed.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:53 PM
lunarx
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Was your test drive in the 17 C2 or a 17 C2s?
I would expect the 991.2 C2 to choke on the top end, due to the smaller turbos.
I would be suprised if anybody found a 991.2 C2s to be slow, even compared to a 991.1 GTS.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:05 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All 991 cars are street cars that can be taken to the track for some fun. The question is: what engine characteristic is important to you. Low end torque or high end torque. Can't have both.

A lot of comparisons use the word 'faster.' What's the point of being faster? If speed and bone crunching acceleration give one joy, then the street 991 cars aren't for those.
Old 06-28-2016, 01:15 PM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 997s07
The question is: what engine characteristic is important to you. Low end torque or high end torque.
I'll take whichever one sounds better.

Seriously though, who could be disappointed with a 991.2 unless you have a pristine 991.1 to compare it to? Even then the main debate would probably be between a 991.1 GTS (which has even less low end torque than the S) and the 991.2 S, and you're splitting hairs.

The brain is a strange thing, it can become obsessed with small things and blow them out of proportion. Arguing between .1 and .2 is the peak of the "first world problems" joke.

Can we all just agree that the 911 is a damn fine piece of engineering, and any of us should be fortunate enough to own any example of one, from the very first one to the latest one to roll off the assembly line.

Quick Reply: Hate to Rain on the Parade