Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:03 PM
diononiz
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I too was set on Xpel but went with 3m instead. Unfortunately, this thread made me question Xpel 's customer support.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:13 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
The thread that wouldn't die.
Consider I paid on July 9th and today is the 27th, the original installer still hasn't processed the refund... Film was removed last Friday.
Old 07-28-2016, 03:09 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Another vote for the installer matters more than the film. This just sounds like a ****ty situation for all involved--Xpel would like to support shops that carry their product, but it's not like there's any ownership connection between them. This will likely just lead to more disclaimers and Xpel not being able to refer specific installers.

For what it's worth the installer I used said they love Xpel's product when it's good, but that they send about half (!) of it back. Maybe an exaggeration? They claimed the product is not always perfect and if the sheet they pull has issues, they won't try to install it.

When I was checking them out, I saw their work firsthand on a 458. They took the time to show me their process, no computer cuts, but also no cuts on the car. They have a giant matte board they do the cuts on after test fitting on the car. Time consuming for sure, but amazing results.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:01 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
Consider I paid on July 9th and today is the 27th, the original installer still hasn't processed the refund... Film was removed last Friday.
Chargeback time. Don't let them run out the clock.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:24 PM
VINK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GiuseppeM: Sorry to hear about your experience! Hope things get resolved soon.
Xpel shouldn't have recommended you to go back to the same installer. Not being dramatic but will I go back to same surgeon who messed up my surgery before? Xpel should have taken complete ownership of this whole ordeal and their policy should be "Customer first" not installer. What's the point of having an amazing product if it doesn't serve its purpose?

I'm sure OP wouldn't have gone to Detail Authority if they were not authorized installers recommended by Xpel.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:47 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I was going to have my car clear bra'd by a very famous youtube Detailer. His work is great but the lines still annoyed me. I passed on it
Old 07-29-2016, 10:59 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Chargeback time. Don't let them run out the clock.
Originally Posted by VINK
GiuseppeM: Sorry to hear about your experience! Hope things get resolved soon.
Xpel shouldn't have recommended you to go back to the same installer. Not being dramatic but will I go back to same surgeon who messed up my surgery before? Xpel should have taken complete ownership of this whole ordeal and their policy should be "Customer first" not installer. What's the point of having an amazing product if it doesn't serve its purpose?

I'm sure OP wouldn't have gone to Detail Authority if they were not authorized installers recommended by Xpel.
Thanks guys, today, after exactly 3 weeks from my original payment, I received an email from Xpel stating that the installer has issued a refund (can't confirm as it's still not showing up).
Given what Xpel COO wrote in post #42 and the circumstances I would like to know the reason behind the delay. I was also informed that the installer that removed the film hasn't been compensated yet, I'm not familiar with the way shops get reimbursed but again in my opinion Xpel is prioritizing sales over support. If I knew the guy wouldn't have received a payment within a day or two I would have paid him myself and then have Xpel refund me. I was uncomfortable that day leaving without paying, they worked on the car for 5 hours.

To answer you Vink, I don't think you're being dramatic, in fact I was infuriated when I found out that the 2nd shop Xpel was instructing me to go to to have the film removed uses that same guy from Detail Authority.
I'm a strong believer that we all make mistakes and everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt but this is pathetic.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:01 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Given what Xpel COO wrote in post #42 and the circumstances I would like to know the reason behind the delay.
You should investigate! Post a couple more threads. Don't let this thing rest, no way. You've been wronged and you should not stop for one moment until justice has been done. Make some threats, express your outrage and disgust and disbelief and heartbreak in another dozen posts. I mean, they've given you a refund and normal people would think this drama is now over, but they haven't told you the reason for the delay! You gonna stand for that? Don't get pushed around! This has all been so hard for you and it's obvious you're not taking any pleasure in milking this situation for all the attention you can get. I'm sure a few more posts will help you begin the process of healing from this trauma. You might want to see a therapist though -- there's only so much comfort the internet can provide.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:10 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 731 Posts

It's always interesting how glib people can be when it's not their problem or their car that was abused. They are usually the loudest screamers. Obviously this man was wronged and then given the run around. This may not be the same way I would handle it but I was lucky enough to find a great installer. So who knows.

This forum is supposed to be about our cars and our issues with our cars. This is a place where a person can be heard and a sponsor or vendor can have some pressure put on them. I certainly would want to know about an inferior shop or a vendor that won't stand behind their recommendations.

If it is not of interest to you there are always plenty of 991.1 vs 991.2 or PDK vs MT threads you can input on.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:57 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
You should investigate! Post a couple more threads. Don't let this thing rest, no way. You've been wronged and you should not stop for one moment until justice has been done. Make some threats, express your outrage and disgust and disbelief and heartbreak in another dozen posts. I mean, they've given you a refund and normal people would think this drama is now over, but they haven't told you the reason for the delay! You gonna stand for that? Don't get pushed around! This has all been so hard for you and it's obvious you're not taking any pleasure in milking this situation for all the attention you can get. I'm sure a few more posts will help you begin the process of healing from this trauma. You might want to see a therapist though -- there's only so much comfort the internet can provide.
np993... This makes you look so sad and childish. Grow up and take a break from posting. Maybe go out and talk to some people in your neighborhood if the Internet is too much for you to handle right now.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:18 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Really ... shouldn't this thread be titled "Detail Authority ... never again?"

No one has said that there was any sort of flaw in the film, the problem is how the installer put the film on the car, mistakes he made, poor detail before, damage under the hood ornament. I don't see how any of that is being laid at the door of XPel itself. They make the film and they provide it at wholesale to detail shops. It's not feasible for XPel or any other film manufacturer to have total control over whom the shop employs to install the product on the car, which is crucial. Even if XPel were to provide factory training for the installer at the time the detailer became a dealer, who's to say that that the person who was trained is going to remain there forever, or that new people won't be hired? All XPel can really do is refuse to provide the film to the shop if they are not installing it correctly.

Would Porsche provide you a new PCM if an audio installer at Best Buy managed to fry it changing out your speakers? I doubt it. And would you then blame Porsche for it? Or the manufacturer of the speakers? No, you would blame Best Buy.

The problem here is that it takes a skilled and experienced person to get a good result with the film ... if it's a bad install, that's on the detail shop. To my way of thinking, it's pretty remarkable that XPel has stepped up to reimburse for an install that Xpel made no money on outside of its profit on the wholesale cost of the film, which I assure you is a small fraction of the money involved in the cost to wrap the car.

Had Detail Authority used 3M or Suntek or any other product, you would have had the same inferior installation. Impugning XPel itself when they are at least trying to help you out with something that is outside their control is over the top. In my opinion, of course.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:29 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by vjd3
Really ... shouldn't this thread be titled "Detail Authority ... never again?"

No one has said that there was any sort of flaw in the film, the problem is how the installer put the film on the car, mistakes he made, poor detail before, damage under the hood ornament. I don't see how any of that is being laid at the door of XPel itself. They make the film and they provide it at wholesale to detail shops. It's not feasible for XPel or any other film manufacturer to have total control over whom the shop employs to install the product on the car, which is crucial. Even if XPel were to provide factory training for the installer at the time the detailer became a dealer, who's to say that that the person who was trained is going to remain there forever, or that new people won't be hired? All XPel can really do is refuse to provide the film to the shop if they are not installing it correctly.

Would Porsche provide you a new PCM if an audio installer at Best Buy managed to fry it changing out your speakers? I doubt it. And would you then blame Porsche for it? Or the manufacturer of the speakers? No, you would blame Best Buy.

The problem here is that it takes a skilled and experienced person to get a good result with the film ... if it's a bad install, that's on the detail shop. To my way of thinking, it's pretty remarkable that XPel has stepped up to reimburse for an install that Xpel made no money on outside of its profit on the wholesale cost of the film, which I assure you is a small fraction of the money involved in the cost to wrap the car.

Had Detail Authority used 3M or Suntek or any other product, you would have had the same inferior installation. Impugning XPel itself when they are at least trying to help you out with something that is outside their control is over the top. In my opinion, of course.
Hi Vic, the film was found to be defective, secondly Xpel refers to their authorized installers as "Partners" but when this notion is brought up they'll tell you they're merely a manufacturer.

http://www.xpel.com/ppf-installer/

Old bulletin but still relevant

http://www.xpel.com/news/xpel-announces-partner-month/

The first link is one of the reasons I brought the car to a certified installer.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:38 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

A much better analogy would be if a Porsche product were installed by a Porsche dealership. In this scenario if the dealership screwed up the installation, I would seek relief from the dealership. But if that failed I would escalate the problem to Porsche, and expect them to get the problem resolved.

The OP has two legitimate grievances: the installation and Xpel customer service.
Old 07-30-2016, 02:19 PM
VINK
Instructor

Originally Posted by NP993
You might want to see a therapist though -- there's only so much comfort the internet can provide.
I can see who needs a therapist here! Perhaps, a long drive in your P will do some good.

A short story...... Last year just after 2 weeks of delivery, my Model S was plagued with charging issues. Charging would interrupt every few minutes. Tesla service conveniently blamed 100 Amp/220V circuit in my garage and refused to take it further unless I get the wiring done by a Tesla certified electrician. Reached out to Tesla directly asking them to check logs for charging interruptions at multiple locations but they refused to acknowledge. I was wronged by multiple Tesla Service stations and Tesla corporate repeatedly. After exhausting every avenue, only option left was official Tesla forum; Video documented charging issues with other Tesla garages/multilpe locations and posted every bit of information online. After getting tremendous response, Tesla was forced to act upon; Got a loaner delivered next day and the issue was resolved with replacement of faulty charger port in the car.
There were few like NP993 then, who either don't put themselves in other's shoes or don't get what hard earned money actually means!

OP: What you did sharing your experience is absolutely just!
Old 07-31-2016, 11:49 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
A much better analogy would be if a Porsche product were installed by a Porsche dealership. In this scenario if the dealership screwed up the installation, I would seek relief from the dealership. But if that failed I would escalate the problem to Porsche, and expect them to get the problem resolved.
I would too, but in that scenario I just don't think I would make Porsche the title/focus of my thread. I would be hammering the dealership. I probably would make mention of Porsche's failure to step in and resolve, but my beef would be with the installer. This may be a pointless debate, as the OP is saying the film itself is defective.

Hi Vic, the film was found to be defective...
I'd like to educate myself on the defect(s). Did I miss a post? Given the butcher job done by the installer, it seems at least plausible that he also didn't recognize the material he was installing was defective. But then again it seems at least plausible that he damaged the material himself during the botched install, and it wasn't defective originally. It probably makes no difference which is true to GiusuppeM and his particular situation, but I would like to know which is correct.

And to the members tossing backhanded insults at each other: Please consider restraint. Lobbing insults on the internet is a common behavior, and I suspect we are all more interested in that which is uncommon.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.