Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 07:06 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

It's all fun and games until the metalwork gets damaged. That's when the boiling oil needs to come out.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:11 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
That's the paint coming off the sticker under the badge. There is a sticker under every 991 Porsche emblem (no idea why) that gets painted over when they spray the car. Fairly often the paint comes off the sticker if put film over it and then pull it off. Not making excuses, just explaining what you are seeing.
Seriously? Who wrote this?

Can't you see the 2x razor blade cuts thru the paint and foil?

This is exactly what I'm talking about when I blame Xpel for this mess.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by TAL2GK
My car isn't even here yet. I've never used these products on any of my other cars, but you guys have just about convinced me to do it to my C2S when it gets in. My dealer even said the only people at their dealership who don't use PPF are leasers.
That's total nonsense. Dealer is probably trying to sell you PFF. A lot of owners don't put film on their cars.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:04 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

I can not speak as to if there are secondary cuts in the clear coat. But in an absolute way, the area behind the hood badge is scored from the factory in the shape that released the paint with the PPF. It has happened before that when I pull the badge off to wrap with ppf, the paint will literally pop off in that shape. This does not cause any harm to the car and it is not a problem. The paint is secure outside of the factory-scored area.

I am not taking sides in this subject of who is what and what is what. But when I saw the shape of that paint that popped off under the badge I knew exactly what it was and it is not caused by neglect. I can not speak of any other cuts in the paint that may not be there. If there are cuts, that's not cool.

Here is an example. We have a GT4 being fully wrapped right now. Before we shaped the film inside the badge recess, that picture was shown. I am now showing you what that shape is and what causes what is shown. You can even see in my picture that there are spots of the factory-scored area that are released and we have not touched it, nor has film been installed/removed from it. This car has 35 miles on it and came to us straight from the PEC. If any of you remove your hood badge on a 991 you will see the exact same shape and score from the factory. A stern look at some of these and they fall off.

Name:  qnu1EqI.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  3.63 MB

Last edited by Detailed Designs; 07-22-2016 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 PM
JimHJr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As my car is used and already had a few fixed rock chips I took the dive and decided to PPF my car myself to protect it from any new chips. Took it very slow doing a section a day or so and did the smallest pieces first for practice. Probably did one mirror 4 times until I was satisfied. It's not perfect but came out pretty darn good. I compared my job to a relatives new Z06 that was done by a professional (at over 2k) and my job looks much better than the so called "pros". I did it in my spare time so I didn't care how long it took cause I enjoy challenging projects but if I added my time up 2k would probably be a bargain.

One thing that I do not understand is why these guys are cutting on the cars. There is a PPF knife less tape that cuts the film without a knife. Looks very professional also. I found it fairly easy so the pros should know that it's out there.

Also it's not hard to wrap the fender. That's a bunch of bs. I hope you get this straightened out.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:38 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
That's the paint coming off the sticker under the badge. There is a sticker under every 991 Porsche emblem (no idea why) that gets painted over when they spray the car. Fairly often the paint comes off the sticker if put film over it and then pull it off. Not making excuses, just explaining what you are seeing.
Well this sounds like excuses to me. By looking at the picture, it is obvious to me that the razor cut through along the edges.

I recommend getting the car fixed for the razor cuts and also get the car detailed and paint corrected for blemishes due to botch job. Get it done at Porsche reputed authorized body shop. Xpel should offer to pay the fee for the fix. The fee, i think, should be quite reasonable since it does not really diminish resale value.

If your customers are important to you, you should offer some compensation to GiuseppeM for his trouble, learn from this incident and educate your authorized installer. Afterall, you share some responsibility in this for authorizing the installer.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:54 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
I can not speak as to if there are secondary cuts in the clear coat. But in an absolute way, the area behind the hood badge is scored from the factory in the shape that released the paint with the PPF. It has happened before that when I pull the badge off to wrap with ppf, the paint will literally pop off in that shape. This does not cause any harm to the car and it is not a problem. The paint is secure outside of the factory-scored area.

I am not taking sides in this subject of who is what and what is what. But when I saw the shape of that paint that popped off under the badge I knew exactly what it was and it is not caused by neglect. I can not speak of any other cuts in the paint that may not be there. If there are cuts, that's not cool.

Here is an example. We have a GT4 being fully wrapped right now. Before we shaped the film inside the badge recess, that picture was shown. I am now showing you what that shape is and what causes what is shown. You can even see in my picture that there are spots of the factory-scored area that are released and we have not touched it, nor has film been installed/removed from it. This car has 35 miles on it and came to us straight from the PEC. If any of you remove your hood badge on a 991 you will see the exact same shape and score from the factory. A stern look at some of these and they fall off.

Hello, just a reminder that my pictures were taken before the film was removed (you can see it there) as we discovered the paint issue when we lift the emblem.
If you look closely there are 2 separate razor cuts that are consistent with attempting to apply the film twice (so it was explained to me).

Either way, it is just unprofessional to hide this and not notifying the customer.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

OUCH! Luckily the only razor cut that we found today.

Crazy swirl marks and scratches

s

Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

If you had cuts in a shape dissimilar to the shape you are seeing in my picture, say, like the outlined shape of the badge itself, then yeah, that's a problem. But if it's the shape of the released paint, that is the factory scored line. The released paint in your picture is said factory scored paint and is not a thing to hide nor explain. I have had new cars come to me with it already released. It's just a Porsche factory thing.

For the record, I am not excusing any cut paint. Cut paint is not okay. I am only addressing what I see in terms of the released paint I saw in the posted picture. The released paint is following the outline of the factory scored area.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:11 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you had cuts in a shape dissimilar to the shape you are seeing in my picture, say, like the outlined shape of the badge itself, then yeah, that's a problem. But if it's the shape of the released paint, that is the factory scored line. The released paint in your picture is said factory scored paint and is not a thing to hide nor explain. I have had new cars come to me with it already released. It's just a Porsche factory thing.

For the record, I am not excusing any cut paint. Cut paint is not okay. I am only addressing what I see in terms of the released paint I saw in the posted picture. The released paint is following the outline of the factory scored area.
This thread is the Salem Witch Trials of the automotive world. Giuseppe and some of his bratty internet friends have found their witches, and nothing anybody says is going to dissuade them. Facts don't matter. Being outraged feels good, and deciding that you've been victimized feels good. Burn the witches!
Old 07-22-2016, 09:13 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by NP993
This thread is the Salem Witch Trials of the automotive world. Giuseppe and some of his bratty internet friends have found their witches, and nothing anybody says is going to dissuade them. Facts don't matter. Being outraged feels good. Burn the witches!
That's not completely accurate. I have similar issues but the COO PMed me and offered to help so I am waiting to see if he follows through.

My issue has much more to do with faulty product so the manufacturer is more liable.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:15 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

He stuck his finger in it.

If you don't believe me or the photos I'll have the shop report their findings.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:16 PM
ddodds
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Just curious, was the paint corrected prior to the ppf install?
Old 07-22-2016, 09:20 PM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ddodds
Just curious, was the paint corrected prior to the ppf install?
Both installer and Xpel assured they were forced to "buff it", I asked for details and got silence.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

I wonder if that damaged area has something to do with the Entry & Drive option. Cars with E&D probably require some kind of antenna aperture in that area, since they allow the frunk to be opened by waving at the escutcheon. At the same time Porsche doesn't want to maintain two separate frunk lids in their inventory, so they provided a cutout feature that has been punctured, either by the Xpel installer or at some point during production.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.