Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 12:58 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Xpel...Never again.

TL;DR Xpel stands by bad installers and their 10 year warranty is a marketing gimmick

I hesitated posting this review because based on general consensus Xpel was a reputable company and deserved the benefit of the doubt.

The other reason why I hesitated is because I wanted to test the water, I've seen Xpel jumping on cases when posted on forums and I wanted to see what happens when you go the traditional way.

Many of you believe that it's the installer that makes the difference, but the truth is that Xpel backs bad installers. And the 10 years warranty is a marketing gimmick.

I was looking for a PPF and read a ton of posts, I approached Xpel here in private and they told me the shop I was looking at wasn't an authorized installer,
so they put me in touch with the local representative that instructed me to take it to "Detail Authority" in Fairfax Virginia or the other local authorized shop that I won't mention. He said Randy at Detail Authority did his 3 cars.

I was explained that they wrap all edges except the hood's two triangular areas above the hinges.
Well, based on Xpel and their local rep instructions I took the car to Detail Authority. I asked about the edges and again I was told the only edge he can't wrap are the ones
on the hood above the hinges...ok I heard that from Xpel so I believe you.

My 2016 GT3 had 270 miles on it and was spotless when I brought it in.

Next day I went to pick it up and the first thing I thought when I saw it was "damn look at this crack on the bumper"!
Nope it was the gap he left on the film, alright whoa that was close. I look up and saw this major stretch mark (they call it lift line) 4" to the right and 6" down.
I asked Randy: what is that? "That's normal". What do you mean is normal? "It will go away in two weeks" yeah right.
What's on the mirror? "That's normal"
I drive it home and I noticed that there was soap/water spots in the mirror glass...

Got home and found out the car had water spots everywhere. So I watched the feed from my dashcam and saw Randy power washing the front of the car
spraying soap everywhere but only rinsing the front. Idiot. I just paid $2,195 and now I have to wash the car again. Alright whatever.
I opened the frunk and found the side panels not fastened...alright whatever.
To give you an idea of how the creases look on the bumper, it’s like if you use sprayed too much paint with a can and are left with run off.

Why the hell would anyone want to protect the paint if it looks like it's damaged anyway? Also the areas below the marks have heavy orange peel and look stretched.
So at this point I found out two more things that I won't discuss here because they're bad...

So I email Xpel and provide all info and photos.

To make sure they receive all the attachments I called them the next day and asked to speak to a corporate manager, the lady on the phone told me no I have to deal with the local rep.
I asked to please let me speak to someone at the corporate office (because the local rep is the one that sent me to Detail Authority) and she told me someone would call me.
Another day goes by and I decide to call David Campell, the local rep. I explained him the situation and as I was mentioning that Randy sprayed soap all over my car without rinsing it
he made a blanket statement saying "Randy would never power wash a car. He's an experienced detailer." (I have nothing against people that power wash cars responsibly)
"Randy did my three cars and he's an experienced detailer...blah blah blah." I mentioned that he didn't wrap the fender along the doors and he said nobody does that.
You have to remove the doors for that! Bullsh1t my man.
Tells me some people are not compatible with PPF and when I mention I've seen work on the forum he just said "who cares about the forums"...well Xpel does, let’s see.

I asked him to meet to i could show him the car and he said I'd have to wait 7 days. I get it, we're all busy but no way I'm waiting 7 days. So I drive 50 mins to his house to show him the car.
His reaction: nothing, impassible.
"It's normal", everything he looked at was "normal". He kept insisting I wasn't happy, but it's not happiness, it's a ****ty job. He couldn't admit the installation was bad,
even when he saw the mirror he said “it’s normal, it can be replaced", yeah I know thanks... My question was, would you deliver the car to a customer in this condition.
Silence.

I told him the trims were bad and he insisted Detail Authority doesn't trim the edges because they use a computer. Yeah would you like me to show you my dashcam video of Randy using a razor blade?
It's really irritating to have to point out flaws and being looked at if It was my expectations that were absurd.

Next day I get an email from David telling me he's going to look into this but he's too busy. Ok! 10 years warranty! If I can't even get you to admit the job was done improperly the next day imagine 9 years from now.

After a couple days I email Xpel again because I was told someone from the corporate office would get in touch with me and a case number would be assigned.

No response.

Next day I get an email from David telling me he'll have news in a couple days.
Well the great news was to take it an hour away (with no traffic) to another state to "review my issues".

No thanks.

This was July 18th, 9 days after I picked up the car.

So David asked me to take it to the other local shop which is even worse that Detail Authority. No thanks.

Finally after 10 days I got an email from Jeff Phillips at Xpel!!! Hooray!!! Of course he had no idea of my issue and didn't look into it before emailing me but hey, it's a start isn't?

Small parenthesis, Detail Authority emailed me stating there was nothing wrong with the installation. After that email they refused to return any other email I sent them.
Cocky as he is didn’t he post the photos of my car on his shop’s Facebook page?!?

So today I get an email from Jeff again asking me to bring the car to Randy as he would remove the film for me, he clearly didn't read my email. I will not take my car back there, it's not safe.
I advised that I have already selected my future shop and it's not an Xpel authorized installer anymore (because they don't want to deal with them anymore).

His reply: It is also important that a factory trained XPEL installer removes the film, as installers that aren't familiar with our films' adhesive
characteristics and specific removal processes could end up leaving adhesive everywhere, which would make for a much more lengthy process.

Yes sir they were, not anymore but they were.

Then added: As the product manufacturer that isn't involved in the installation process, we can only make recommendations as to what will make for the
quickest/easiest resolution to your situation when it comes to installation grievances. We try to act as a mediator between the installation companies and consumers
to make sure that the job is done well, or that it is refunded.

I take it you're not a lawyer Jeff, shouldn't make this kind of statements.

Xpel instructed me to go to that shop to give me the peace of mind I wouldn't have had if I went to the non authorized shop.

Now let’s review this famous 10 year warranty:

Warranty is provided ONLY to the original owner

Why 10 years? Because they based it on statistical data that shows how likely you are to keep the same car for over 5 years.

"Upon our inspection of the defective product and our determination that your claim falls within the scope of this limited warranty, we will send you a replacement
product free of charge"
(but not including any installation costs).

So if they determine the warranty claim is valid, you still have to pay for installation (cost is in R&D, marketing and overhead, how much is the film itself?)

Short comment on the film itself, it’s sticky and has a haze/cloudy finish, I still haven’t gotten an answer from Xpel.

So Xpel and Detail Authority, you're invited to give your side of the story.

Sept. 1st update: Xpel paid to have some of the issues fixed, never heard back from the original installer.

Attachment 1355740
Name:  coMP5tH.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  1.22 MB
Attachment 1355742
Attachment 1355743
Name:  S09xHQH.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  1.85 MB
Name:  w71pK9s.jpg
Views: 773
Size:  1.73 MB
Name:  G6avSCn.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  2.34 MB
Name:  70u7wSx.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  1.42 MB
Name:  eZxzMTB.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  1.36 MB
Attachment 1355749
Name:  d8Ze2rt.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  2.03 MB

Dirty car

Name:  zyIbxOl.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  1.87 MB
Name:  416nC3e.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  1.40 MB
Name:  I1AcR89.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  1.71 MB
Name:  DA0OUC5.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  1.82 MB
Name:  xPTBXcs.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  1.68 MB
Name:  Me2Sz9P.jpg
Size:  1.60 MB
Name:  YRXCmKz.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  2.54 MB
Name:  OTIVMcQ.jpg
Views: 760
Size:  1.81 MB
Name:  Nbar3pn.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  1.91 MB

Cloudy and sticky film

Attachment 1355760
Name:  uw7iBpk.jpg
Size:  1.68 MB

(I used a microfiber cloth that released some lint and it stuck to the film like glue)

Name:  UttDf2i.jpg
Views: 755
Size:  1.11 MB

UPDATE AFTER REMOVING FILM

I'm working with Xpel to find a solution to this issue, a couple members asked me why I didn't accept their initial offer, the reason is that I didn't want to bring the car
to the same guy (and I was told that the other shop uses the same guy as well, but haven't confirmed independently), also because there are damages that haven't been addressed.

The cloudy finish has been found to be under the film, there are scratches caused by the installer where he was pulling the film, heavy swirl marks in certain areas (him and Xpel rep insisted he had to buff all the marks before installation, but they're there after removal...) and the situation with the paint under the emblem. (scratches are hard to show in photos)

We found 2 razor cuts, Xpel Rep insisted that "Detail Authority" doesn't use razor blades (i've seen him in the dash cam video).

There are other things that I haven't mentioned and won't mention for now, but to Xpel's rep David Cambell and the two forum members that called me a "very" difficult customer, try to justify the razor cuts.

I haven't posted this to do any witch hunt (in fact I started a vague thread last week to understand why Xpel was telling me this job was "normal"), I haven't posted it to trash Xpel.

I posted it because we all care about our cars, and to be called "a customer with unreasonable expectations" by Xpel it's disappointing and unprofessional. I was planning to go to another shop, they told me I had to go there (or the other one that uses the same guy).

I know that there are talented installers on the forum, this work that is accepted as "normal" will hurt you in the long run.

Name:  yNNMuxd.jpg
Views: 758
Size:  1.35 MB

Name:  CJBI9P9.jpg
Size:  1.44 MB

Name:  duEJCRs.jpg
Size:  1.48 MB

Name:  Fhwtlxh.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  1.35 MB

Name:  HiLRK9R.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  1.37 MB

Name:  oPXUiql.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  1.83 MB

Name:  r3OLatR.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  1.38 MB

Name:  XzwUHOH.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  1.33 MB

Last edited by GiuseppeM; 09-01-2016 at 07:55 AM. Reason: update
Old 07-21-2016, 01:18 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

Wow, that's an awful job. I just had Xpel installed on my new truck, full front clip and mirrors for $950. It was the computer cut method so the edges aren't completely wrapped--not how I would do my P-car. The wrap I got on the truck is 100% better at less than half the price. I've had five cars done in the past five years with no issues at all. Best of luck getting it sorted out with Xpel and the installer. The installer should give you a full refund, or at least refund the labor.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:30 AM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. Sorry about your experience. I purchased my XPEL from my dealer (they send it out to a local installer but roll it in to the price). I think when you "purchase" it from the dealer, they make sure it looks right before you purchase the car. As for after-market companies, you would think quality control would be important because word-of-mouth is the best advertising. I guess this company only cares about making a quick buck because they are not going to get referrals with their quality. So far, if been happy with my experience. I took it to the track & got a bunch of tire & road gruff all over it. Took it to a reputable detailed & they were able to clean it without a problem. They said there were small scratches because it's not "self healing" but I cannot see any. Overall, I'm happy with it.
Old 07-21-2016, 01:45 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,061 Posts

whoever installed that was a fking moron.
rip it off and do a charge back on your CC.
Go get Suntek installed.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:08 AM
TimAD
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch. Sorry you are dealing with this buddy!

Hopefully things will be addressed quickly and to your full satisfaction.

The cloudiness/stickyness you are seeing maybe Xpel's Sealant most installers use after installation.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:19 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

It's not the product, it's the installer. I Xpel'ed my car and it's perfect.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:21 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow like the above sorry you have to go thru this. I just had expel put on about 85 % of my car and it looks great. Put Ceramic pro on top. your installation sucked, product I still feel is good, disappointed that the corporation is not doing squat to help...this kind of publicity for them is not good
Old 07-21-2016, 04:27 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had two installs in the last three years by the Dealer (the dealer subcontracts to a well known installer) and the installs have been cosmetically flawless.
-Richard
Old 07-21-2016, 05:50 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

sorry to hear. i had the same issues also, but sold car. the cuts on the front bumper really did freak me out too. also, on my mirror there was what looked like "burn" marks like the heat gun got too close. also, asked for headlights to be done as well but installer said they did not come out how he would have liked and never got them done. same also for the "sticky/cloudy" finish. when dirty front half of car with looked like it had a haze finish like when you apply wax to car and let it dry before buffing off while the back half looked totally different. will not be doing my current car with this product. only Cquartz Finest (2 coats) used.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:23 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Although I prefer Suntek film, a good installer can do a good job with either.

The issue here? An incompetent installer!
Old 07-21-2016, 09:27 AM
wsjchoi
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I had xpel ultimate done on mine, as others have said, your installer really fudged it...
Old 07-21-2016, 09:50 AM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
It's not the product, it's the installer. I Xpel'ed my car and it's perfect.
+1. I have had two cars wrapped and my car's looked nothing like this. I also, (contrary to most people's view) have it done before I take delivery on the car. The dealer and salesperson have skin in the game for a good job by the installer. If this happened to me on a new car, I would not have taken delivery. Now that's incentive to the dealer to make sure the job is done correctly.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:51 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,389 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Beautiful car. Terrible installer and job. Yeah, I'd dispute this with my credit card company if I were you.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:07 AM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

That looks horrible! (but you already knew that)

The installer does make all the difference, almost all of the high end cars in my area go to one shop, due to the owner standing behind his, and his employees work, and taking customer satisfaction seriously.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:18 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with most of the members consensus. It is a case of bad installer. Please dispute with you credit card company hoping that is the method you used to pay. Hoping it gets refunded and find a competent installer.

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.