Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ventilated Seats

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 01:10 PM
X2Board
Pro

Received 94 Likes on 50 Posts

I love mine, especially when I leave the gym in the morning. I even use them, when I'm driving windows down and it's hot outside.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:25 PM
Canefan
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

As others have said, it is 100 percent dependent on the ambient temp inside the car. If it's a hot and humid day and you have the sunroof and windows open, they will do exactly nothing for you. If, on the other hand, you close up the car and turn on the AC, then the seats will cool down nicely as that cool air is pulled past you and into the seat cushion. The greatest effect is when the car has been sitting in the sun and the seat surface is hot. They will cool down very quickly and keep your back and legs from getting sweaty. It also depends on what sort of clothing you are wearing whether you will get the maximum effect or not. Clothing that doesn't breath (leather, denim) will lessen the effect somewhat. YMMV, but this has been my experience in hot and humid Atlanta.
Old 08-25-2016, 01:29 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Mine are not quite as good as a Lexus I had in the past, but they're still great and provide much needed relief during the Texas summer.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:41 PM
TAL2GK
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't even have my car yet, but I can tell you that this feature is a huge plus for a cabrio driver. Even when I lived in Buffalo, my back would get a little swampy driving my Z4. That x 1,000 in Charlotte. In my Jeep Grand Cherokee, they aren't exceptionally strong, but you notice that you don't develop swampass in the summer ... but if you leave them off, you are significantly steamier.

And if they add a little tingle to Miss Daddario and others with a Y chromosome, all the better!

To be honest, I may not have bothered looking at (and ordering) a C2S cabrio if the M4 had this as an option. I was a long time BMW guy and knew that was the car for me, but I had my F83 build specked out at nearly $100k and couldn't justify that high of a price for that car if it didn't have everything I wanted. Now, I'm spending 30% more, but I'm getting more car AND everything I want. Plus, I'm in the middle of the pack for C2S prices, vs. being in the 99th percentile of M4 prices.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:34 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Early 991 coupe with 14-way seats, heated and cooled. LOVE the cooled seats, would get them again. The "fan" is not particularly strong, but is far more noticeable if you are already "moist" when you get into the seats. Related to the temp setting on your control? Perhaps. But it is really related to the ambient air temp inside the car.
Yes, the cooling feature "sucks". It is not a fan blowing OUT through the holes. It is not a refrigeration unit directly coming through some hose connected to your A/C unit. Just a 3-level fan. This is why the ambient temperature is the main factor in the apparent cooling. I agree that the thinner the clothing, the more you will notice that it is working. As air passes over your "moist" skin, it gives the impression of cooling. But it will also keep you dry, or dry your moist clothing in a short time.
Here in Florida, mine are on full go every time I get into the car during the 9 months of summer. The other 3 months I use the heat.

I also have the heated steering wheel. In north Florida it can get down near freezing some mornings in the winter. The steering wheel heating warms up the leather in about 3 minutes and I turn it off as soon as I feel the heat coming through the cold leather. Then the "osmosis" of the residual heat finishes the job.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:23 PM
Peruna
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Thundertub
Early 991 coupe with 14-way seats, heated and cooled. LOVE the cooled seats, would get them again. The "fan" is not particularly strong, but is far more noticeable if you are already "moist" when you get into the seats. Related to the temp setting on your control? Perhaps. But it is really related to the ambient air temp inside the car.
Yes, the cooling feature "sucks". It is not a fan blowing OUT through the holes. It is not a refrigeration unit directly coming through some hose connected to your A/C unit. Just a 3-level fan. This is why the ambient temperature is the main factor in the apparent cooling. I agree that the thinner the clothing, the more you will notice that it is working. As air passes over your "moist" skin, it gives the impression of cooling. But it will also keep you dry, or dry your moist clothing in a short time.
Here in Florida, mine are on full go every time I get into the car during the 9 months of summer. The other 3 months I use the heat.

I also have the heated steering wheel. In north Florida it can get down near freezing some mornings in the winter. The steering wheel heating warms up the leather in about 3 minutes and I turn it off as soon as I feel the heat coming through the cold leather. Then the "osmosis" of the residual heat finishes the job.
How can you tell if you have a heated steering wheel? Is it part of the premium plus package (at least on early 991s)?
Old 08-25-2016, 05:37 PM
Thundertub
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

To discover whether or not you have a heated steering wheel:
A. RTFM
Failing that,
B. Sit in the car, start the motor, run a finger tip along the bottom, back side, of the lower steering wheel spoke. If you feel a flatish "button", push it. Your display screen in your gauges will immediately switch to a screen that says "Steering Wheel Heat On". Push the same button a second time, the display screen immediately says "Steering Wheel Heat Off". Or words to that effect.

As a happy and satisfied user of this function in the colder months, I strongly recommend you DO NOT just leave it on to see how hot is gets, or to see if it will turn itself off after a while. It gets VERY Hot, VERY quickly, and I haven't wanted to see what it would do to the leather if I left it on too long. A couple minutes is normally plenty. It probably takes an extra 30 seconds longer to warm up if you live in Antarctica. However, there is always some troll here who will post that they leave theirs on all the time with no consequences, even in the summer. Be skeptical of those replies.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:36 PM
GTOWN83
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have three settings. I can't use the high or medium, my **** gets to damn cold. The low setting works very well with the top down on a hot day.

Last edited by GTOWN83; 08-25-2016 at 07:36 PM. Reason: ...setting(s).
Old 08-25-2016, 07:37 PM
Bradley Scott
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GTOWN83
I have three settings. I can't use the high or medium, my **** gets to damn cold. The low setting works very well with the top down on a hot day.
^^ Perfect.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:51 PM
DrCGuerra
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had them in my Cayman GTS & now my 991.1 GTS. Must have if you live in a hot, humid environment. Within 2-3 minutes, I have to decrease the setting from 3 to 1 & many times I just turn it off. That's in Houston at 70-80% humidity & a heat index of 108+! FYI, all black interior.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:03 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I had them once many years ago in a 2008 cls 550. Didn't care much for them. They are absolutely fantastic in my 991.2 though. I wouldn't call them necessary but they are very nice to have.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:06 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 52 Posts

For the price why have regrets? Just get them.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:11 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Same experience with my BMW X5 as you had with your Benz. Totally worthless in the X5, but awesome in my 911!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Seems all the complaints are coming from people in the N.E. where it gets hot a few days a year. The temps in N.C. have been in the 90's the last 6/8 weeks and no complaints from me. They work as designed.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:20 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I didn't get them in my first 991 Cab, and I regretted that decision once I started driving with the top down in the summer. My second 991.1 had them and my current 991.2 has them. They make summer driving perfect.

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seats