Sponsored by:

So 991 owners with 993's ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 10:38 PM
red67vert
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default So 991 owners with 993's ??

So I finally get my black no basket handle, '95 993 sorted, and modded to my standards. Hollow spokes/MPSS, suspension, exhaust, shifter etc, etc, you know....slippery slope signified! The A/C even works now. But I have always thought they finally got the styling right with the 991, prices are reachable, and then I drove one. Yep, hooked!
So I'm closing in on a sweet C2S, and wife says why do you need two Porsches? Yes, space is at a premium, as I have several other collector cars. So if the 991 were to serve as the daily driver(presently a CLA45 AMG), I think I could keep them both. So....
Who uses their 991 as a DD?
What role does your 993 play now ?
Do you really need the 993, with a 991 in the platoon?
Don't think I could sell the 993, so should give up the 991 idea?
Thanks for your time!
There has to be other guys in my predicament?!
Old 11-12-2016, 10:39 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

neither are dds for me ... i drive my p-cars for enjoyment only in general
Old 11-12-2016, 10:55 PM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Enough said? 1997 993tt driven for fun. Red 2000 Boxster S = DD in summer. Blue 2016 Club Coupe - just because the wife said if you don't buy it you'll regret it.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:37 PM
red67vert
Pro

My heroes!
Old 11-13-2016, 08:52 AM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 131 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
neither are dds for me ... i drive my p-cars for enjoyment only in general
^^^^+1.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Don't have a 993. Daily drove my 991.1 C2S PDK no problem. Traded the .1 for a .2 and plan to daily drive that as well unless snowy. I had PP film on .1 and will also get it for the .2 to limit paint chips.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:20 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

2016 GTS Targa
1997 Turbo with TechArt Performance Upgrades

Both are very special cars. Will drive the dickens out of the 991 since the PTS/LTS, low miles 993 is only reserved for Sunday drives.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:34 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

991 was a dd for first year. Went great. 7mt too. Only bad day was take your bike to (pre)school day for my (then) 4 year old. No way to do

Averaged about 1200 miles a month. Still on original tires @ 14k.

Changed jobs at work--much more driving & client visits. So added something different to fleet for that mission. Now driving 911 feels like an event--which is also cool.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:10 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

991 turbo and 993 turbo. I don't drive the 993 as much as I used to, probably 2-3k a year.

991 turbo drive all the time, around town, work, track.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:53 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

No 993 here but I daily drive my 991.1S, do autocross once a month, pick the kids up from school on occasion, and put winter tires on it and drive it in the winter (unless it is really nasty out). Too much fun not to drive it as much as I can!
Old 11-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,372 Likes on 794 Posts

Had a 3tt for 7 years, got a 7tt about 2 years ago. both great cars, but I kinda feel guilty I don't drive them more. I put about 4k miles on the 7, 2500 on the 3. end up in my bmw during the week since I have a mile commute.

I feel kinda silly having both, but I'm not sure I'd want to sell either
Old 11-13-2016, 01:51 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

To me there are two forms for our existence within the spec of time we each have as so-called sentient beings. Probably far too simple, but for the sake of argument, let's call them "living" or "being alive." Being alive involves more than simply living or existing. For those of us who have the car gene, being alive has certain requirements, which I think I know, try to understand, and cannot hope to explain. Many people have this type of gene, but with a different flavor. It can be about almost anything, though, for example, I have not yet heard of anyone who has one purposed for washing machines.

People who seem to have this type of gene, in its many flavors, are not always well-tolerated or understood by those who do not. But, focusing just on the car gene, I will admit that my obsession with cars should be categorized as a "want," as opposed to a "need." But, this implies that mere existence, or living, should be enough to give each of us basic satisfaction with life, within the scope of food, clothing and shelter. I am the last person I know who could possibly be a philosopher, but I think these necessities do not begin to provide for, or comprehend, human passion. To be really alive you have to find some passion somewhere within yourself. And, passion is not a box you can check off on a request form. But, if you have passion, I think it transcends want and becomes need.

Therefore, for us, Porsche becomes a need. So it is more of a question of how many Porsches do you, as an individual, need? This is a very steep, slippery and downward slope. I don't have an answer for myself, let alone for any of the rest of you. I do know this: if you are truly happy with just one, consider yourself to be extremely fortunate, and probably quite rare within this group. I really envy those who can be calm, serene and content with having just one 911 or other Porsche.

My answer to the OP is simple: How can you possibly imagine your life without your 993? I feel so fortunate to have a 991 GTS coupe, and it would nearly kill me to give it up anytime soon, particularly if I could not replace it with an even better 911. On the other hand, the ordinary 993 C2 coupe that I have is at the very core of my passion for Porsche. I've had other air-cooled 911s, but the 993 is by far my favorite. Most of us self-identify by our occupation, but at this point in my life I am simply this: I drive my 911; therefore I am. It is not even close to being merely a material possession; it is how I have managed to ascend from living to feeling alive again. If you sell that 993, a part of you will be gone for good. Is that enough to make you feel you need to keep it? We each have to answer this type of question for ourselves. For myself, the 993 stays until I am dead or no longer sentient. But, I also have an old 356C coupe that has been just about pure frustration for the past 19 years. It has been in restoration for the past three years, costing me a not-so-small fortune. To keep it upon completion, while not financial suicide, does not hold up to anything approaching a reasonable analysis of my personal situation. I'm actually glad in some ways that I don't have to make the decision yet. I keep thinking: the last 356 version, the last air-cooled 911 and the last NA regular 911. As close to serenity as I could ever get, if I can keep everything else at bay. Therein lies the problem and the question. But the 993, never gonna happen.
The following users liked this post:
frederik (01-27-2022)
Old 11-13-2016, 03:07 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by kwikit356
Many people have this type of gene, but with a different flavor. It can be about almost anything, though, for example, I have not yet heard of anyone who has one purposed for washing machines.
And you would be wrong. Saw this on CBS Sunday Morning a while back.
Old 11-13-2016, 10:47 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by red67vert
Who uses their 991 as a DD?
What role does your 993 play now ?
Do you really need the 993, with a 991 in the platoon?
Don't think I could sell the 993, so should give up the 991 idea?
My 991 is a daily... People at work talk, but frankly I don't care. Once a week I drive an oldie instead to save some miles, but by and large the idea of driving the 991 is what gets me out of bed at dawn !

I have a different take on the 993 than most people, I hope it's not offensive... I had a 96, I sold it long ago... It was IMO the prettiest modern Porsche ever, but ultimately also the most disappointing *to me*. I found it softly sprung, too linear and quiet, had many issues with it (windshield squeaks, immobilizer, 2ndary air ports, munching fan relays, etc - all fixed but annoying), but mostly it was the complete dichotomy between its gorgeous modern exterior and essentially the exact same interior as the 1983 SC I had just sold to buy it...

That's the part I couldn't resolve in my head (the rest is tuneable, I know, I did)... To me the 993 was stuck in between... After I sold it, I bought a 60s 912 (they were still cheap) and a used Cayman S instead. When I drove the oldie I got the oldie feel, when I drove the Cayman I had the modern interior and performance. That worked better for me - clear distinction....993/991 are a world apart but still very close in looks... Keeping both wouldn't work for me vs. getting an older classic. If it's keeping a classic that you are after, I'd go older, get an F or G series while still affordable ? All that to say IMO you'd be very happy with a 991 (or a 997 for that matter, but they're not much cheaper) - It's just as pretty as a 993 IMO, but the modern interior will blow you away. I'm a sucker for the MFD and its navigation "James Bond" gauge and just overall modern gadgets, but the 911 sound is there, the smell is there... Porsche fumbled the 996 interior but the 991 is a homerun. The market went crazy on 993s but I don't see them doubling in value anymore, I'd cash in before it costs you (well yours being a 95 ODBI you won't get the dreaded CEL at least) and try a 991 for size... It'll knock your socks off... Feels bigger but the last time I redrove a 993 it felt like an oxcart (tongue in cheek, I drive a 72 911 as well and it IS an oxcart, but it's way older so that's expected - clearer distinction - 993 looks new and feels old). Change is good - you made your $$, try something new ? Again just one guy's opinion, not the final word ;-)
Old 11-13-2016, 11:33 PM
red67vert
Pro

Kwikit356, awesome post! Thank you for taking the time, to pour out your feelings, which explain mine exactly! That explanation would have cost me a fortune at some Shrinks office! It's this type of support, that makes me glad to be part of this great group of guys and gals.
Your trio is exemplary, of true Porsche passion! Kudos my friend. It's funny I was looking for a 356, when the 993 popped up. Vic and Barb Skirmants have been trying to get me in one for years. Either the wrong car, or a day late. So who knows what will happen after I close the 991. One thing for sure, the passion will still be alive and well! Thanks again!

Quick Reply: So 991 owners with 993's ??