991 Battery - Steering support limited message

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 01:42 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 991 Battery - Steering support limited message

I have a battery question.

My car is nearly 4 years old, and the battery is dying. It wouldn't start after leaving the door open enough to vacuum the interior (10 min tops). I called West Broward Porsche, which is nearly an hour away, and the parts dept told me I can use the Porsche battery (over $300) or a group 48 battery ($200). Mainly because they are nearly an hour away, i just picked up a group 48 Interstate battery from a local Porsche tuner and changed it myself.

Since I restarted it, I'm getting a message that says "Steering support limited, Possible to drive on". I read on the forum that someone tried turning the wheel lock to lock several times but this did not clear it. I have driven 3-4 trips, total of 20 miles, and it is still on. No driving issues at all. The window indexing is fine and the clock, which was initially wrong, reset to the correct time on its own. No radio issues.

Anyone have any thoughts? West Broward says I need to bring it and for $175, they'll clear the codes. That puts my cost closer to $400 and my time to several hours for a stupid battery change that I can do in my sleep.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:26 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 140 Posts

i had the same problem when my battery died and I jumpstarted the car. I ended taking my car to Braman for a new battery. $530.00 later the car was fine again. I'm sure it's just Porsche BS but they told me that the car needed to have the new battery coded to the car. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:26 PM
cmb13
Racer

Thanks for the reply. May have to bring in but was hoping to avoid the trip. Anyone else have other suggestions?
Old 12-09-2016, 01:34 PM
GregD
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed mine but left the car on a 9V battery gizmo maintainer. Not sure it worked, but no codes...
My point is my battery wasn't coded by porsche and works fine. Your code is probably from it being completely dead and then removed without alternate power source... Anyone near you with a code reader to reset this? independent mechanic ? My local independent pulled my overrev codes for free, I bet they would change a pittance to clear a battery induced code...
Old 12-09-2016, 01:59 PM
Jenner
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I assume you found this thread and did what they said:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9309...-drive-on.html

A couple of things to try. Here is a method different to the method of turning to full lock and holding:

"The steering angle sensor must be re-initialised when the battery is disconnected and connected.
Turn wheels to straight-ahead position.
Switch ignition off and then on again twice.
Start engine.
From the straight-ahead position, turn steering wheel approx. 20° to the right, past the straight-ahead position.
Drive the vehicle straight ahead for at least one second at a speed above 4 km/h (2.5 mph).
The steering angle sensor segment is recognised again in this process.
Once the sensor has been successfully initialised, the fault code that is stored in the fault memory is documented using the fault deletion counter.
The fault memory erases itself automatically."

If that doesn't do it you can go to a local auto parts store (pep boys, autozone, advance auto parts or similar) and ask them try to to erase the codes for you using their handheld scanner.

Or buy a wireless OBD2 tool and use your smartphone to scan and clear the codes.

WiFi verison (I suggest the WiFi so you can still be paired via bluetooth to the car or an external GPS device):
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00OCYXTYY/
Bluetooth version:
https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-4261.../dp/B006NZTZLQ

I can't promise the scanners will work, but if they do they could save you time and money, plus you now have a tool you can reuse in the future.

Speaking of the future it sounds like when changing the battery it might be wise to use a battery tender/charger (like a C-TEK) that can produce a "supply" voltage via the cigarette adapter that will keep the clock and other systems from detecting the battery swap, or a dedicated "settings saver" like this:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-BTE296S-.../dp/B00DVHL184

Unless of course the battery has to truly be "coded" to the car, but I've owned other cars from VAG that claimed they needed to be coded to the battery and I didn't have any issues or go to the dealer to get it coded when I swapped for an optima yellow top deep cycle battery.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:42 PM
cmb13
Racer

Thanks appreciate the input. I did ask about temporary charger but was told it was not necessary. I didn't do the above procedure but heard about turning wheel back and forth lock to lock while ignition was on, 4-5 times, in another thread. I will try above suggestions. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:50 AM
Rhaqbany
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Here is how to fix it

Originally Posted by cmb13
I have a battery question.

My car is nearly 4 years old, and the battery is dying. It wouldn't start after leaving the door open enough to vacuum the interior (10 min tops). I called West Broward Porsche, which is nearly an hour away, and the parts dept told me I can use the Porsche battery (over $300) or a group 48 battery ($200). Mainly because they are nearly an hour away, i just picked up a group 48 Interstate battery from a local Porsche tuner and changed it myself.

Since I restarted it, I'm getting a message that says "Steering support limited, Possible to drive on". I read on the forum that someone tried turning the wheel lock to lock several times but this did not clear it. I have driven 3-4 trips, total of 20 miles, and it is still on. No driving issues at all. The window indexing is fine and the clock, which was initially wrong, reset to the correct time on its own. No radio issues.

Anyone have any thoughts? West Broward says I need to bring it and for $175, they'll clear the codes. That puts my cost closer to $400 and my time to several hours for a stupid battery change that I can do in my sleep.

hi here is how to remove the Steering wheel warning message
The following 2 users liked this post by Rhaqbany:
964turbos (01-31-2023), desmotesta (01-31-2023)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:29 PM
Mark FM
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same problem when I took my car from winter storage today. Thank you Rhaqbany for posting the video - worked like a charm!!!
The following users liked this post:
964turbos (01-31-2023)
Old 11-01-2021, 05:20 PM
Road Racin
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

When you guys try these fixes, what is your power steering actually working? Mine is not, full manual steering because power steering is not working and this fix doesn’t seem to do it.

also mine is way harder to turn then it appeared in the video
Old 01-31-2023, 04:36 AM
964turbos
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhaqbany
hi here is how to remove the Steering wheel warning message https://youtube.com/shorts/mDXdHABeazY?feature=share
I had the same problem after my battery died. Now problem solved!! Thank you Rhaqbany.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:08 AM
TomiK
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

That is odd. Perhaps check the fuse, since you have no steering assist?

Maybe disconnecting the battery again will help. It's a long shot, but who knows.

I had no issues when swapping a dead battery in my 991.2 S. Battery was out the car for over 4 hours with no power supply and all I needed to do was reset the power windows. No error codes, nothing. I didn't register it either and the car still drives fine a few hundred miles later. All functions work as designed, including stop-start, coasting feature etc.

Quick Reply: 991 Battery - Steering support limited message