Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera IPD Plenum testing results

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:10 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 991.2 Carrera IPD Plenum testing results

I do not waste a lot of time modifying my cars and I figured the plenum was a good place to start with the 991.2. The 911 Turbo models show huge gains and honestly I was a bit skeptical and wanted to see it for myself.

Well, the plenum picked up a solid 21 hp and 21 lb-ft of torque at the wheels in the mid-range. This is on a Mustang dyno with 91 octane pump fuel. The car remained strapped to the dyno during the plenum install.

The install is a bit complicated. It would take someone who knows these cars about 3.5+ hours. Everything has to come off. The spoiler, the bumper, the tail lights, fans, etc.

Certainly worth it though for the gains though IMO.

Data is here: http://www.************.com/content....d-dyno-results
Old 04-17-2017, 05:43 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Those are awesome gains! Definitely a great upgrade, especially with the power hitting right in that mid range sweet spot. Nicely done!
Old 04-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
Those are awesome gains! Definitely a great upgrade, especially with the power hitting right in that mid range sweet spot. Nicely done!
Appreciated!

If you're thinking about doing it maybe schedule some other things to get done at the same time. That way the labor hit isn't a big deal.

If the car is already up on the lift it would be a good time to do an exhaust for example.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:26 PM
Techart s
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.2 carrera s

Ipd plenum very tight to get it in
ibs just fitted my ipd plenum to my Carrera S 991.2 ,
I hope I get gains like that !
My mods are fabspeed headers , fabspeed catless dp’s and techart tune box
Old 02-03-2018, 07:55 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Based on info in this thread and on the IPD website, it appears the gains in the .2 car are a huge bargain. Same power gains as the power kit for a fraction of the price.

Not trying to start a mine is bigger than yours here, just looking for potential quality issues, Assuming one would use an experienced installer. Any air leaks, thrown codes, etc?

Did you feel any increased power gains in the real world (with your calibrated butt dyno)?

Any long term feedback from you .1 guys?

Not trying to start any heated warranty discussions either.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:21 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Interested on having some more feedback from 991.2 regarding the IPD Plenum.

I'm not planning on changing my exhaust system, but looking at installing the Plenum and get a good tune for my 991.2 base cabrio.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:41 AM
Dude174
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Interested as well
Old 02-04-2018, 03:30 AM
Techart s
6th Gear

Default Plenum

I put exhaust and headers on first and that changed my 991.2 instantly the power ! The sound of the turbos
the sound in sport mode ! Then I fitted the techart box and that lifted the car to another level ( techart warrant engine problems) now the ipd plenum is on I will see if it gains more power ! ( just fitting rear techart spoiler at moment so not had chance to test car with ipd )
will post in the next few days
I judge my cars performance on the road not on a dyno !
Old 02-04-2018, 09:24 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Techart s
I put exhaust and headers on first and that changed my 991.2 instantly the power ! The sound of the turbos
the sound in sport mode ! Then I fitted the techart box and that lifted the car to another level ( techart warrant engine problems) now the ipd plenum is on I will see if it gains more power ! ( just fitting rear techart spoiler at moment so not had chance to test car with ipd )
will post in the next few days
I judge my cars performance on the road not on a dyno !
I agree with butt dyno results, even if it is subjective. If you know your car, changes can be felt. Besides, I have always been skeptical of air intake changes being picked up on a stationary dyno. I realize fans are utilized to help push air and cool everything off, but very hard to simulate intake air while sitting still.

Interested in hearing your results
Old 02-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 711 Likes on 428 Posts

The best way to know gain to the wheels is with time slips with and without the plenum. Not sure this can be done at the drag strip during a test and tune... However, that should mitigate the lack of air flow benefit on a dyno.
Another option would be some Vbox runs before and after install.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:45 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 301 Likes on 155 Posts

Based on what I can see from the pictures - it appears the design attempts to limit turbulence in the boundary layer through the splitter. This is actually a pretty common approach in engine intake airflow design in various applications (aviation engines especially) and depending on specific factors of the engine can significantly reduce energy loss, increase mass transport, and reduce pressure-drop through the intake. Easy way to tell would be to pull data on the MAF sensor from the CAN bus on a car before / after the install. More mass airflow = more power. The ECU should adjust the charge based data from the MAF. I suspect (but don't know) that the 9A2 probably also has a intake ambient pressure sensor - which should also verify effectiveness. Turbos benefit more, as the pressure drop across the plenum is lower for laminar flow than turbulent flow, and thus the pre/post compression pressures will be higher.

Great engineering-driven upgrade!

cheers!
Old 02-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Tay101
Rennlist Member

Received 216 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
I do not waste a lot of time modifying my cars and I figured the plenum was a good place to start with the 991.2. The 911 Turbo models show huge gains and honestly I was a bit skeptical and wanted to see it for myself.

Well, the plenum picked up a solid 21 hp and 21 lb-ft of torque at the wheels in the mid-range. This is on a Mustang dyno with 91 octane pump fuel. The car remained strapped to the dyno during the plenum install.

The install is a bit complicated. It would take someone who knows these cars about 3.5+ hours. Everything has to come off. The spoiler, the bumper, the tail lights, fans, etc.

Certainly worth it though for the gains though IMO.

Data is here: http://www.************.com/content....d-dyno-results
Thanks for the info sticky.

Is this with or without a tune? Is a tune required?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 AM
Techart s
6th Gear

991.2 carrera s fabspeed headers and fabspeed decats in perfect condition ,can send to any country ,selling due to upgrade to 991.2 turbo s
no cel with theses and the performance and sound is amazing ,brings these new engines alive
Old 02-08-2018, 02:15 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Techart s
991.2 carrera s fabspeed headers and fabspeed decats in perfect condition ,can send to any country ,selling due to upgrade to 991.2 turbo s
no cel with theses and the performance and sound is amazing ,brings these new engines alive
This is a discussion about the IPD Plenum not your personal for sales ad.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:21 PM
Techart s
6th Gear

What’s your problem ? You can own a Porsche and not be stuck up

This is a discussion about the IPD Plenum not your personal for sales ad.
[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera IPD Plenum testing results