Sponsored by:

991.1 overrun (pops & crackles) vs none in gt3

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 06:30 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Maybe in manual cars, but in my PDK, Sport + is less obnoxious (when driving in manual shift mode).
Per 991.2 manual (car manual), the burbles are not activated in Sports Plus mode.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:57 PM
feh
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

On my 991.2 with PSE, there's backfires + pops from the exhaust only on Sports mode. On Sports+ there is none (that's the way it is programmed in my car at least).
Old 06-29-2017, 08:11 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

On my car it sounds like flatulence and I find it deeply stupid and actually embarrassing when other people are present. I love the sound of the PSE. But the extended farting out the back (on my car it lasts 2-3 seconds) is ridiculous. What were they thinking -- hands-down the dumbest feature on the 991.

On early cars (I've owned many) with carburetors or MFI and no cats, you get the occasional crackle on decel, which is cool, because it's real. And it would be cool if Porsche simply replicated that phenomenon. But they had to make it cringe-inducingly fake. It's as dumb as installing a fake blow-off valve to make your Civic sound turbocharged.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:39 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by feh
On my 991.2 with PSE, there's backfires + pops from the exhaust only on Sports mode. On Sports+ there is none (that's the way it is programmed in my car at least).
That's how it is programmed in 991.2, like the manual says.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:14 PM
mrmojom3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to program the backfire out. I think the PSE sounds excellent in non sport modes, especially on decel. Its embarrassing IMO.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:14 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,258 Likes on 790 Posts

I generally don't mind the overrun chatter from my 991.1 TTS, but it can be a bit obnoxious sometimes. I installed an FVD Brombacher cat-back exhaust, and that definitely made it louder. I find that the pops are very subdued or almost nonexistent in normal mode. They are a bit louder in sport mode, but they really become noticeable in sport mode or sport plus mode when I am manually shifting.

My understanding is that overrun chatter is normal in race cars because the timing is generally advanced in those cars for optimal performance at higher RPMs. The advanced timing causes more unburnt fuel to be sent into the hot exhaust system, causing the pops. I guess Porsche wanted to simulate racing car sounds with this feature.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:47 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,084 Likes on 621 Posts

While I admit it sounds cool, I can't get past knowing that it's computer induced. I'd pass on it.

It's even worse in the M2 where it's piped in thru the speakers!
Old 06-30-2017, 10:01 AM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tstafford
While I admit it sounds cool, I can't get past knowing that it's computer induced. I'd pass on it.

It's even worse in the M2 where it's piped in thru the speakers!

Yeah who wants a computer doing stuff in their car ?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:33 PM
88911coupe
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this sounds very cool. Went for a ride in my friends Huracan and it was doing this...I had no idea why but it sounded awesome. In the back of my mind I was thinking this may or may not be optimal but who cares. I really think its cool...must be the 14 year old kid is this creaky near 60 year old body! LOL.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 PM
asia
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Here is an article that explains Jaguar's backfire technology.

"Jaguar engineers achieved this by defying convention. "Usually you’d cut the fuel to the cylinders, when the driver lifts off the accelerator," explained Andrew Lowis, the Gasoline Calibration Manager for the car. "We are delaying the point when we do that and igniting later than we might in normal circumstances. It produces a controlled misfire."

Obviously, the car must still meet emissions regulations despite the intentional introduction of pollutants to the exhaust stream. "It is a challenge, but it is one we can achieve by careful calibration," said Lowis. In fact, Jaguar has more stringent internal emissions limits than the government applies, he said, and the car meets those, too."

"'Theater' is a great word," noted Kevan Richardson, Program Manager for Jaguar sports cars. “We want the car to be entertaining. ... It is all part of the show."
Old 07-01-2017, 03:04 AM
Tangerine
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
It's all programming. Note that in normal, they are almost non-existent. In Sport there is more and in Sport plus it's like there is a cannon brigade behind you. The ECU is just choosing to add extra fuel to create these artificial backfires. Personally, and I know I'm in the minority, I think it sounds stupid. I wish there was a way to program it out.

The GT3 doesn't have this because it's not programmed in.
I never liked the crackle/pops but I discovered an obvious workaround--just turn off PSE. The valves open anyway above 3-4k or whatever it is, and it seems like there's a lot less fake popping going on.

And I might be crazy but it feels to me like at low RPMs the engine is more responsive with the valves closed? With a manual at least, put it in sport or sport plus, press the exhaust button to turn it off (which isn't off, just means keep them closed at lower RPMs), and compare to when it's on. This is also on the .1 GTS, so NA engine, powerkit etc.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:08 AM
trysixty
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
In those lower RPM's the 991.1 S/GTS with PSE sounds better than the GT3.

Love the snap, crackle, and pops!
especially in a cab
Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Driven991
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Churchill
On my car it sounds like flatulence and I find it deeply stupid and actually embarrassing when other people are present. I love the sound of the PSE. But the extended farting out the back (on my car it lasts 2-3 seconds) is ridiculous. What were they thinking -- hands-down the dumbest feature on the 991.

On early cars (I've owned many) with carburetors or MFI and no cats, you get the occasional crackle on decel, which is cool, because it's real. And it would be cool if Porsche simply replicated that phenomenon. But they had to make it cringe-inducingly fake. It's as dumb as installing a fake blow-off valve to make your Civic sound turbocharged.
Completely Agree. Wish they would come out with a flash to remove this annoying feature.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

In this day and age, such a feature could easily be made user selectable through some sort of service mode that could be accessed by an owner. I could imagine being able to adjust the rpm and throttle opening where the exhaust valves opened and the second sound symposer activated. And I'd love to be able to calibrate my speedometer, not to mention resetting the service warning.

On a BMW 335i I previously, it was possible to calibrate the average fuel economy reading in the trip computer via the service mode. Sadly, the egregious speedometer error could not be ameliorated.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:22 PM
ibmiked
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Pretty soon we'll all be driving silent cars with electric propulsion. Until that time, anything that reminds me we're in the twilight of the golden age of the internal combustion engine is fine with me.

Quick Reply: 991.1 overrun (pops & crackles) vs none in gt3