Sponsored by:

PPF Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 12:34 AM
smellycat
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 55 Posts
Default PPF Thoughts?

Excited that I got a winged allocation and I have been thinking through PPF. I made a mistake on my GTS and didn't PPF the rear quarter panel - wont make that mistake again. I am, though, debating how to handle the front and rear end plastic pieces. There is enough plastic 'sticking out' that I worry about it getting beaten up by road stuffs. Any thoughts on applying PPF to plastic? What parts of are you planning to PPF?
Old 03-30-2021, 01:58 AM
Shockwave93
Intermediate

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm new to Porsche (hoping for the 992 GT3 to be my first one), but I plan on PPF-ing at least the front half of the car, Interesting that you mention about the rear quarter. Kind of makes me want to just do the whole thing.

Regarding the plastic though, it's pretty cheap to replace (a 991 front lip is $215 on Suncoast), so I would say skip it for the plastic bits and just replace them if they get worn. Also, the plastic bits won't have the right sheen if you wrap them with PPF.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:47 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

I did the rear quarters on my 991.2 GT3. I will do it again. Actually I did the whole car except the rear bumper and underside of the rear spoiler.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:16 AM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't PPF the plastic pieces such as the lower front replaceable lip, black rocker sections or rear section. They will get tattered no matter what you do. The first time you christen your new baby by scraping the front lip you'll regret filming that area. I never understood why some have those areas painted. I don't know that the film will adhere properly and will look far worse once driven a few miles and likely not look good ever. I would at least cover the entire front end as well as A pillars and a few inches into the roof; or the entire car as stated above. Yes to full rear quarters which should wrap in a semi-circle mid way over the rear wheel section; add pieces behind the rear wheels of course. (Xpel has a pre-cut kits on their website for reference) The OEM pieces do not cover enough of the quarter and many times dis-color. I and many others have had a second smaller piece placed over the rear quarter section. It is larger than Porsche's 'shark fin' although sharing similar shape. Those wide hips will get blasted with any spirited cornering especially mountain and/or track use. It may sound odd but is barely noticeable. Two quality installers said there could replace the second skin without difficulty. I've done this on my .1 and .2. I have had stones pierce single layers of PPF on the lower sections of the quarters. I do not know if there was underlying damage although the film never self healed and looked terrible.

Last edited by 911dev; 03-30-2021 at 08:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911dev:
Chris C. (11-22-2021), smellycat (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 09:26 AM
smellycat
Instructor

Default Plastic scoop

What about the plastic scoop out front? Won’t it get beaten up without protection?

i agree on the lip. First need to see if it’s replaceable and how much $$$

pro tip- the car is wide as f$$k, the rear quarters see a lot of leftovers from the front wheels and the Porsche rear quarter film is wayyyy too small.

Last edited by smellycat; 03-30-2021 at 04:10 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:12 PM
MattDFW
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

I've PPF'd multiple cars and can say I will not do again. Spend 1000's to protect the paint on a car most rarely drive. High impact areas or track days it's useful. Everyday joy ride around town I'd save your money. Plus you always risk pulling paint if you don't properly maintain and update every 5-7 years. I found this out the hard way.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:11 PM
911dev
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smellycat
What about the plastic scoop out front? Won’t it get beaten up without protection?
Good point. A good installer can offer insight. If it becomes virtually invisible why not.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,738 Likes on 2,700 Posts

I think the black plastic piece in front (sometimes known as catfish mouth) is meant to be a sacrificial piece that you replace when necessary like the front lip spoiler (hopefully, it is similarly affordable).

PPF generally doesn’t stick very well to those unpainted surfaces...

A little road rash there will just make it look tough

Last edited by GrantG; 03-30-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:19 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

I did full car PPF on my 991.2 GT3. Primarily because the car is tracked. Useful for that I presume, lots of rubber hitting the car front and sides among whatever else.

Would I do it again, probably not. I would probably just do the entire front end like my other cars.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:31 PM
RonnyC
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 68 Posts

I would do the full car... for resale it would probably help also as the self healing wrap will show the entire car to be very clean.

My first 911 i just did the entire front including the front quarter panel thinking thats where all the chips happen and I did not want to spend the money... well, my second time out a rock from another vehicle somehow shot out to the side of my car and there was a few scratch marks... my 911 now, i got the full wrap. Now with the full wrap small scratches on the door handle or on top of rear wheel hump are cleared away with either a heat gun or bucket of hot water... i know if i did not have the full wrap those small scratches would bother me.

The following users liked this post:
catdog2 (03-30-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 06:42 PM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by Shockwave93
I'm new to Porsche (hoping for the 992 GT3 to be my first one), but I plan on PPF-ing at least the front half of the car, Interesting that you mention about the rear quarter. Kind of makes me want to just do the whole thing.

Regarding the plastic though, it's pretty cheap to replace (a 991 front lip is $215 on Suncoast), so I would say skip it for the plastic bits and just replace them if they get worn. Also, the plastic bits won't have the right sheen if you wrap them with PPF.
You definitely want to do the rear quarters, if not the whole car. With how the GT3's rear quarters flare out they take a beating from small stones and it doesn't take long to get lots of pitting just below the side intakes.
Old 03-30-2021, 06:54 PM
smellycat
Instructor

Default Anyone else worried about front scoop damage?

Do we know if it’s replaceable?
Old 03-30-2021, 07:05 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RonnyC
I would do the full car... for resale it would probably help also as the self healing wrap will show the entire car to be very clean.

My first 911 i just did the entire front including the front quarter panel thinking thats where all the chips happen and I did not want to spend the money... well, my second time out a rock from another vehicle somehow shot out to the side of my car and there was a few scratch marks... my 911 now, i got the full wrap. Now with the full wrap small scratches on the door handle or on top of rear wheel hump are cleared away with either a heat gun or bucket of hot water... i know if i did not have the full wrap those small scratches would bother me.
It's insurance basically. As for resale I'm not sure if makes a difference to a dealer enough to make a difference in your wallet. A private buyer, yeah it would.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:06 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smellycat
Do we know if it’s replaceable?
Yes you can replace it.
Old 11-22-2021, 12:54 PM
jayely1
Pro

Received 194 Likes on 103 Posts

Is it worth getting the front end PPF from Porsche when built? My dealer advised against it, not sure why.

Quick Reply: PPF Thoughts?