Possible to order a 992 GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2021, 12:14 AM
Fang911
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Mike
At a Chicago dealer ?
Yep, at Napleton. I inquired at Loeber, Porsche Exchange, etc for an allocation at MSRP- no dice. And I've been a multi-car customer at both Loeber and Napleton previously-
The following users liked this post:
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-20-2021, 02:44 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

Here’s what will happen, some guys are going to pay huge mark ups for their first GT3 are going to be like little kids with a new toy. Then they’re going to get in their first GT3 and start driving it and say “ OMG what have I done??!!” The car is stiff. The car is rough. The car is noisy. You’ll hear every piece of gravel on the road. Unless they like driving a race car to work every day they’re going to hate it. Then they’ll say “ I’m over it” and sell it. Some guys have so much money they’ll sell it at MSRP.

I’ve had 3 GT3s, A 996, 997.1 and now the 991.2. It’s happened on every model. No so much on the 996 because most of us were track hounds. More on the 997, but not a whole lot. More on the 991.1 Every new GT3 there’s more internet racers that are dying for one but will hate it when it shows up.

I missed out on the 991.1 because of the stop build orders, so I got a 50th anniversary in the meantime. Even after 2 GT3s I’d forgotten how much of an animal the GT3 is. I was shocked how raw the GT3 is when my 3rd one showed up. And I know what it’s like. Imagine guys who are expecting a really nice smooth ride, and thinking they’ll daily it ( you can daily a GT3 but not many do) or wait till their wives find out what they just spent $200,000 on ( with ADM), when they ride in it for the first time.
Some will have a COW!

If you don’t want to pay an adm then just hang out. There will be some available after the wannabe track guys find out this isn’t the car for them. Even if they track the car, it won’t make you a super good driver, you still have to work at it and make a commitment. Some won’t go through with it.

This car isn’t for the guy who worries about his seat belt color matching his headlight ring color. It’s a drivers car with a hard edge. Every time a model comes out there’s more guys ( than the last time) who probably should have bought a turbo. They dump their GT3s within months. So do some research have your money ready. There’s always some guys who want the GT3 image and aren’t going to put up with what comes with it. There’s no sound deadening so you hear EVERY piece of crap on the road. The guys who worry about the stereo ( the music is the motor) isn’t the guy who wants a GT3 or RS. You can barely talk if you’re driving aggressively, my wife is usually shouting at me to “SLOW DOWN!!!”
Most of you will love the car. But watch the threads you’ll probably figure out who’s going to dump their cars quickly.
Heres another point. The new GT3 is probably the most incremental increase in performance ( since the 991.2) in GT3 history. So look for a 991.2 as guys move on to the new one( if your hunt for an allocation doesn’t pan out) The new upgrades are things that require the most skill to enjoy. Most of us would do nicely with the 991.2 GT3, So if you don’t want to play silly games and or pay stupid ADMs look for a 991 or even a 997. You’ll have to push hard to feel the improvement in aero, and the new double wishbone suspension ( some here are capable but many won’t notice the improvements)

One last thing. Don’t obsess with the long list of options. This car ( any GT3) is so amazing that you won’t give a flip what color your deviated stitching is at 165 mph.
The main thing is the feeling and the noise at 9000 rpm. Wait till you guys see all the “ what color wheels should I get to match my deviated stitching on my steering wheel?” threads.
Whatever you guys do I wish you all well and happy hunting!!! Don’t get discouraged with all this, just be patient and don’t lock yourself into only one option but be ready for anything.
The following 20 users liked this post by OldGuy:
cadster (07-20-2021), CDACH (07-20-2021), dhirm5 (07-20-2021), eXpensiveGears (07-26-2021), FASTRKMAN (07-20-2021), hollmatt (07-20-2021), jayGT3touring (07-22-2021), jimdillard (12-17-2022), jjaisli (07-20-2021), jrbkarter (07-20-2021), michaeldorian (07-20-2021), NYCGT3 (07-20-2021), porscherain (07-20-2021), SantaFePorsche (07-27-2021), sparkhill (07-20-2021), ToasterThief (07-26-2021), TukeeGatorGT3 (07-20-2021), usctrojanGT3 (07-20-2021), WCGhost (07-20-2021), ZG911 (07-21-2021) and 15 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-20-2021, 03:45 AM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by OldGuy
Here’s what will happen, some guys are going to pay huge mark ups for their first GT3 are going to be like little kids with a new toy. Then they’re going to get in their first GT3 and start driving it and say “ OMG what have I done??!!” The car is stiff. The car is rough. The car is noisy. You’ll hear every piece of gravel on the road. Unless they like driving a race car to work every day they’re going to hate it. Then they’ll say “ I’m over it” and sell it. Some guys have so much money they’ll sell it at MSRP.

I’ve had 3 GT3s, A 996, 997.1 and now the 991.2. It’s happened on every model. No so much on the 996 because most of us were track hounds. More on the 997, but not a whole lot. More on the 991.1 Every new GT3 there’s more internet racers that are dying for one but will hate it when it shows up.

I missed out on the 991.1 because of the stop build orders, so I got a 50th anniversary in the meantime. Even after 2 GT3s I’d forgotten how much of an animal the GT3 is. I was shocked how raw the GT3 is when my 3rd one showed up. And I know what it’s like. Imagine guys who are expecting a really nice smooth ride, and thinking they’ll daily it ( you can daily a GT3 but not many do) or wait till their wives find out what they just spent $200,000 on ( with ADM), when they ride in it for the first time.
Some will have a COW!

If you don’t want to pay an adm then just hang out. There will be some available after the wannabe track guys find out this isn’t the car for them. Even if they track the car, it won’t make you a super good driver, you still have to work at it and make a commitment. Some won’t go through with it.

This car isn’t for the guy who worries about his seat belt color matching his headlight ring color. It’s a drivers car with a hard edge. Every time a model comes out there’s more guys ( than the last time) who probably should have bought a turbo. They dump their GT3s within months. So do some research have your money ready. There’s always some guys who want the GT3 image and aren’t going to put up with what comes with it. There’s no sound deadening so you hear EVERY piece of crap on the road. The guys who worry about the stereo ( the music is the motor) isn’t the guy who wants a GT3 or RS. You can barely talk if you’re driving aggressively, my wife is usually shouting at me to “SLOW DOWN!!!”
Most of you will love the car. But watch the threads you’ll probably figure out who’s going to dump their cars quickly.
Heres another point. The new GT3 is probably the most incremental increase in performance ( since the 991.2) in GT3 history. So look for a 991.2 as guys move on to the new one( if your hunt for an allocation doesn’t pan out) The new upgrades are things that require the most skill to enjoy. Most of us would do nicely with the 991.2 GT3, So if you don’t want to play silly games and or pay stupid ADMs look for a 991 or even a 997. You’ll have to push hard to feel the improvement in aero, and the new double wishbone suspension ( some here are capable but many won’t notice the improvements)

One last thing. Don’t obsess with the long list of options. This car ( any GT3) is so amazing that you won’t give a flip what color your deviated stitching is at 165 mph.
The main thing is the feeling and the noise at 9000 rpm. Wait till you guys see all the “ what color wheels should I get to match my deviated stitching on my steering wheel?” threads.
Whatever you guys do I wish you all well and happy hunting!!! Don’t get discouraged with all this, just be patient and don’t lock yourself into only one option but be ready for anything.
OldGuy with the wisdom. Thank you. Love the car, hate trying to buy them. New and used.
The following 3 users liked this post by michaeldorian:
cadster (07-20-2021), jimdillard (12-17-2022), porscherain (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021, 06:43 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,453 Likes on 798 Posts

Some will have a COW!

Awesome post. I cracked up more than once.
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-20-2021, 07:35 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Received 238 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Fang911
Yep, at Napleton. I inquired at Loeber, Porsche Exchange, etc for an allocation at MSRP- no dice. And I've been a multi-car customer at both Loeber and Napleton previously-
At $7,500 ADM I think you you got a great deal. I had to agree to a $20K ADM in FL for a GT3T Touring allocation with a February build - at a dealer that I have bought 5 prior Porsches from. Markets vary across the US and even more so across the world, but net-net I would say you did very well. Enjoy your new GT3. Are you doing ED?
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-20-2021, 10:51 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Some will have a COW!

Amen brother!
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-26-2021, 06:56 PM
Tappet
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm an old track addict - I've been doing a lot of tracking for fifteen years now, and I'd like to go a bit faster, so I'm considering a GT3 since it seems ideal and I've reached the limits of my current car. I've never bought a Porsche before, and never purchased something so expensive, but I'm finally in the position to do so. So for those of you who have bought cars as desirable as these, how long do you think it will take for the buying frenzy to end? For me, buying this car is a bit of a stretch, but I can do it without paying huge ADM. Does this mean I'm waiting a year, two years, or maybe I never get one? I'm just curious. It seems that prior generation GT3's hold their values pretty well, and that there aren't all that many used ones available, so I expect the same with this one.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:24 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 583 Posts

Wait till you guys see all the “ what color wheels should I get to match my deviated stitching on my steering wheel?” threads.
totally agree…

I can think of 100 cars I’d rather drive around town… don’t kid yourself a GT3 is the most uncomfortable car to just look cool in so nothing about the little things like seat belt color will matter.

I bump my stereo all over town in my Jeep and pickup… I turn it off when I get in the GT3. When I first got it I was like “let’s listen to the stereo with the window down and go fast!”. Now it’s all about listening to the car, listening to shift points, listening to the pavement to determine how much sand is on the road and how slick it could be.

I took my friend up quick twisties this weekend -ski resort by my house.

“that was super scary at first when you too off I thought you were going to kill us…then I realized you were in a different world and couldn’t hear a word I was saying… at that moment I felt completely comfortable and knew immediately why you own this”

He’s an ex-Olympic downhill racer

Last edited by Wonderdan; 07-26-2021 at 09:43 PM.
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,482 Likes on 952 Posts

warm tires I hope.
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-26-2021, 09:58 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
warm tires I hope.
Well it’s 100 out until 9pm right now but yea I always slow play it, you can impress at 1/2 speed… with the mezger and Dundon ppl think they are in a rocket ship at 50 mph.
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-27-2021, 01:55 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Tappet
I'm an old track addict - I've been doing a lot of tracking for fifteen years now, and I'd like to go a bit faster, so I'm considering a GT3 since it seems ideal and I've reached the limits of my current car. I've never bought a Porsche before, and never purchased something so expensive, but I'm finally in the position to do so. So for those of you who have bought cars as desirable as these, how long do you think it will take for the buying frenzy to end? For me, buying this car is a bit of a stretch, but I can do it without paying huge ADM. Does this mean I'm waiting a year, two years, or maybe I never get one? I'm just curious. It seems that prior generation GT3's hold their values pretty well, and that there aren't all that many used ones available, so I expect the same with this one.
If you’ve never owned a Porsche before, aren’t best friends with the dealership GM, don’t want to pay an ADM, and are a regular Joe with only 40 followers (like me) unfortunately you won’t get to custom order a new GT3.

Your best chance at buying a 992 GT3 at MSRP or less will be to wait until the 992.2 GT3 comes out in a few years and pick up a used one.

Almost everyone on Rennlist here will swear not to pay an ADM, but most of them have previous relationships with the brand. For new comers to Porsche I’d say it’s near impossible. Sorry it’s just the truth, I hate the game personally, and playing it actually turns me off of the brand.
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-27-2021, 02:01 AM
sparkhill
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Tappet
There is just too much uncertainty to provide an informed answer to your question. The part you can control is going to your local dealer and placing a deposit to get on their list... and then you just wait. It's a long story, but my deposit sat waiting for the GT3 since 2018. Wishing you success in your journey.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:04 AM
dieselino
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 104 Posts

I care about the seat belt color, the stitching and every little detail. Its okay to love the way the car looks and love the way it drives. Sports cars are suppose to look AND drive cool. As a kid no one put a poster up on their wall because of how good it drove. Lets be real here.
jimdillard (12-17-2022)
Old 07-27-2021, 12:14 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2,722 Likes on 1,231 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselino
I care about the seat belt color, the stitching and every little detail. Its okay to love the way the car looks and love the way it drives. Sports cars are suppose to look AND drive cool. As a kid no one put a poster up on their wall because of how good it drove. Lets be real here.
Amen. I care about the little details in a car I'm dropping $200k on...and I plan to track and drive the **** out of this car as often as I can. It will not be a garage queen or a C&C queen, but I still care about the spec details.
Old 07-27-2021, 12:27 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS
Amen. I care about the little details in a car I'm dropping $200k on...and I plan to track and drive the **** out of this car as often as I can. It will not be a garage queen or a C&C queen, but I still care about the spec details.
Definitely been agonizing over non-functional details. Silver vs Blue stitching....but for $2K extra? I do want it to look like I want, but I also have a sense of value and things like this violates it a bit (I'll recover I'm sure).

Quick Reply: Possible to order a 992 GT3?